Which title do you prefer? Monster Zero or Invasion of the Astro-Monster?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which title do you prefer?

Invasion of the Astro-Monster
17%
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
35%
Monster Zero
32%
Other
2%
I don't mind
15%

Total votes: 60

Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master

Re: Which title do you prefer? Monster Zero or Invasion of the Astro-Monster?

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 am

Dr. Professor wrote:Godzilla vs. Monster Zero is the title I grew up with, and therefore it's the title I'll call it till the day I die. And I just think it's a cooler sounding name than Invasion of Astro-Monster, even if they did add a "the".

Same. I first saw it on TV in the early 80's (it was one of the earliest Godzilla films for me as I remember it being my first glimpse of both Rodan and Ghidrah). I had also rented the Paramount tape down the line and it had the same title. Nothing against "Invasion of Astro-Monster" but never even came to know that was a US title until Classic Media did their release.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Crazy Jim Films wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Godzilla vs. Monster Zero is the title I grew up with, and therefore it's the title I'll call it till the day I die. And I just think it's a cooler sounding name than Invasion of Astro-Monster, even if they did add a "the".

Same. I first saw it on TV in the early 80's (it was one of the earliest Godzilla films for me as I remember it being my first glimpse of both Rodan and Ghidrah). I had also rented the Paramount tape down the line and it had the same title. Nothing against "Invasion of Astro-Monster" but never even came to know that was a US title until Classic Media did their release.

Those Paramount tapes were my childhood, man. If I ever see the cover art from those online it really takes me back.
goji89 wrote:We're getting Picasso's up in this biitch.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I hope this film is so good that it sends me on a one-way ticket to Cinematown. :P

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Crazy Jim Films wrote:

Technically "Invasion of Astro-Monster" is not an U.S. title. That's the title Toho used in all its English promotional materials for the film, including a poster and trailer. (No print with the English title "Invasion of Astro-Monster" has ever surfaced and it's not clear one with that title was ever produced.)

Before it was ever released as "Monster Zero," it appears that Henry Saperstein wanted to use a modified version of the title, "Invasion of the Astro-Monsters," for the U.S. release, and prints of the U.S. version were prepared with this title. At some point prints were struck with the title "Invasion of the Astros," and this version even saw some release, reportedly on overseas military bases and through film rental outfits. (Posters for "Astros" and WOTG.)

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:02 pm

War of The Monsters would’ve been perfect had it not been snagged by Gamera vs Barugon.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 pm

LegendZilla wrote:War of The Monsters would’ve been perfect had it not been snagged by Gamera vs Barugon.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Terasawa wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:War of The Monsters would’ve been perfect had it not been snagged by Gamera vs Barugon.

Judging by the look of Godzilla on that poster, that's for Godzilla vs Gigan.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Grasper

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:41 pm

They're all nice titles, does it matter?

#MinillaForSmash2018

GojiDog
Yin-Yang Master

Postby GojiDog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:34 pm

To me, it will always be Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero since that is the title it had the first time I saw it.

For me, having Monster Zero in the title makes the most sense since it directly relates to material in the film itself.

Invasion of Astro Monster sounds like any other generic throwaway Sci-Fi movie from the 50s or 60s. It could literally be anything.

Monster Zero invokes a certain level of mystery, sounds more intriguing, and like I said, it relates to what is going on in the film's story itself.

And "Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero" works best for me since it has Godzilla's name in the title. Makes it fit better with most other entries in the series. As is, I think Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster and Destroy All Monsters are the only ones that don't have any titles (Japanese or English) with Godzilla's name in the title.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freebleeper
Ronin

Postby Freebleeper » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:12 am

To recourse the original title of the Japanese version is called I think "Invasion of Astro Monster" but once it was released in America, Saperstein productions retitled "Monster Zero" and it was like that until it was release on video in the 1980's and I guess they retitled it again to Godzilla vs. Monster Zero to make sure for people to know it was a Godzilla movie, just my theory.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:38 am

The original Japanese title is “Great Monster War”.

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:57 am

• Japanese title (1965): Kaijū Daisensō (Great Monster War)
  • Toho’s English title (promotional): Invasion of Astro-Monster*
  • American “working title” (circa 1966): Invasion of the Astro-Monsters**
  • American release title (1970): Monster Zero
  • Alternate American release title (1967?-197X?): Invasion of the Astros***
  • Toho Champion Festival release title (1971-1986): Kaijū Daisensō: Kingu Gidora tai Gojira (Great Monster War: King Ghidorah vs. Godzilla)****
  • American video/TV title (1980?-circa 2006): Godzilla vs. Monster Zero*****

*Promotional materials with this title include a trailer, posters, and lobby cards. I’m sure press books and other traditional advertisements were made as well, I just haven’t seen them. There’s no evidence that any print with this title was ever struck. This is the title Toho wants distributors to use today, so that's why the Classic Media DVD and the Filmstruck versions were presented with this title. I hate hate hate that the subtitles for the Japanese versions of those releases translate 『怪獣大戦争』 as "Invasion of Astro-Monster" because that's totally dishonest, but that's the title Toho wants on their movie so these distributors have no choice but to cooperate.

**Reported in Variety circa 1967 (don’t have Steve Ryfle’s book in front of me but I believe that’s mentioned in his text). Saperstein wasn’t able to release the film in the U.S. until 1970, as “Monster Zero.” There is a print with this “working title” in Toho’s possession. It’s sometimes referred to as an “international version” but there’s a long and technical explanation to why that version (released on video in the U.K.) is neither the original American nor an original Toho international version. Whew.

***Posters exist for this version, supposedly available for overseas military bases to exhibit. It was also supposedly available in 16mm rental catalogs at one point. Not much is known about this, and the only photo of the title is in black and white (maybe a rental print, since printing on monochrome stock would have been cheaper). This might have been another “working title” of which prints were later struck and repurposed for the film rental market.

****This version was also heavily edited for the Champion Festival, and this edited release was the only Japanese version available until Toho released the full length original theatrical release on video & Laserdisc in 1986. (The initial 1983 Toho Video release was this 75 minute Matsuri version.)

****When Saperstein/UPA prepared new versions of his five Godzilla films for TV and video in the early ‘80s he took the opportunity to retitle this film (probably to make it clear it was a Godzilla film), “Godzilla vs. The Thing” (as “Godzilla vs. Mothra”, probably to make it clear that was a Mothra movie) and TOMG (which I won’t get into here, it’s too confusing). Anyway, this version is essentially the original U.S. release with a new title. Released on video by Paramount (83, 89, 94), Simitar (98), and on Laserdisc in ‘94. Heavily syndicated on television, usually seen on the Turner networks and AMC. I think the last time this version was seen on television was in 2006 on AMC.

“Monster Zero” was first released on video by Simitar (unlicensed) in 1990, and Simitar would again release a letterboxed edition of MZ on video in DVD in 1998 (this time properly licensed) alongside the pan & scan “Godzilla vs. Monster Zero.” A new scan of “Monster Zero” was prepared for and shown on Monsters HD in the early 2000s and it’s this scan that the reconstruction on the 2007 Classic Media DVD is based on. The current version of “Monster Zero” on television (such as on Svengoolie) is the Classic Media reconstruction.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Freebleeper
Ronin

Postby Freebleeper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:49 am

I knew they wanted to rename the film to "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" for that reason in the 1980's when it was released on video, but the Classic Media DVD audio commentary explains alot more in details into why it took the movie until 1970 to be released in the US.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”