Unmade Films Discussion: The Volcano Monsters (1957)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: Unmade Films Discussion: The Volcano Monsters (1957)

Post by SpaceG92 »

Decided to check that link again -
OP/Google Translate to English wrote:Godzilla used for the movie 'Man with a thousand faces' campaign. 1957.
A picture uploaded by Yamada Masami's overseas friends. It seems that Godzilla conscious of the fight scene because there is blood glucose on the right arm.
1957 I guess? 57' can refer to either of the 2 photo's shown in that upload.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

So is this where the author of the Crestwood House Godzilla book got the idea that "Gigantis" was a female Godzilla?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:So is this where the author of the Crestwood House Godzilla book got the idea that "Gigantis" was a female Godzilla?
I think it’s just a coincidence. Iirc Stuart Galbraith IV had a copy of the script and it was one of his books that really informed most fans of this project for the first time. That was in the ‘90s.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Terasawa wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:So is this where the author of the Crestwood House Godzilla book got the idea that "Gigantis" was a female Godzilla?
I think it’s just a coincidence. Iirc Stuart Galbraith IV had a copy of the script and it was one of his books that really informed most fans of this project for the first time. That was in the ‘90s.
Damn. And here I thought I had just solved one of this community's many mysteries.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Does the script really exist or is it still in the hands of private collectors?
Because I just find it strange that it seems that the summary of the script treatment is online. But not the script of the movie itself. I may be wrong.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Ryu wrote:Does the script really exist or is it still in the hands of private collectors?
Yes and yes.

I think Stuart Galbraith IV owned a copy in the 1990s, not sure if he still does. The summary that's floating around on the web is probably based on Steve Ryfle's summary in Japan's Favorite Mon-Star. As far as I know, the original script has never been scanned and shared online.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Yes and yes.

I think Stuart Galbraith IV owned a copy in the 1990s, not sure if he still does. The summary that's floating around on the web is probably based on Steve Ryfle's summary in Japan's Favorite Mon-Star. As far as I know, the original script has never been scanned and shared online.
So there goes the hypothesis of the script appearing online. Just out of curiosity, is the script summary copyrighted? And the Gigantis version, too, and who is Stuart Galbraith IV?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Ryu wrote:
Yes and yes.

So there goes the hypothesis of the script appearing online. Just out of curiosity, is the script summary copyrighted? And the Gigantis version, too, and who is Stuart Galbraith IV?
Stuart is one of the predominant Western scholars on the medium; author or Japanese Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films, Monsters are Attacking Tokyo! The Incredible World of Japanese Fantasy Films, and numerous essays and articles on the subject; and he provided the audio commentary for the Classic Media release of Invasion of Astro-Monster.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Ok. I suspected only one writer should have the script. Give the new book the Kaiju lost movie, have new details like example, McBain punch Marge.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I mean if you think about it, there is kind of a Power Rangers style at play with this idea.

Lets take a property from Japan, splice in some of the footage, borrow some of the suits that were used so we can make our own footage, but amalgamate everything together to create something almost completely different.

Its an interesting idea. I mean at that point, what they were going to do isn't even really a Godzilla movie anymore, but it would have been an interesting piece of history regardless.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Just out of curiosity does anyone have the gigantis the fire monster audio-script, or something? I know it's a little off topic, but can anyone get it, I was really grateful.
And already the names of the dinosaur films, which appear during the assembly of explanation of the kaijus.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Ryu wrote:
Yes and yes.

The script summary by Steve Ryfle is certainly copyrighted and the script treatment of "The Volcano Monsters" by Ib Melchior and Edwin Watson is probably an unpublished work and therefore copyrighted for 70 years after the author's death or 120 years after the creation of the work if done as a work for hire for a corporation. Melchior died in 2015. Toho renewed its copyrights for Godzilla Raids Again, so that film and any derivative works like "Gigantis the Fire Monster" are protected. Toho did renew the copyright in the "Gigantis the Fire Monster" version too for good measure.
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.