Character discussion: G vs MG

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character discussion: G vs MG

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla's 20th anniversary film is one of my favorites.

Keisuko, our main character, is a likable guy and an action hero. In non action moments, he shows himself friendly and charming. When the statue needs protecting, he becomes a fighter, and he is a good one. I wish he had some developement because he's an excellent lead.

Saeko is an intelligent girl, but she gets relegated to sidekick status. It's a pity because I feel her intelligence and spirit could make her character more rounded. Her knowledge of the statue and KC are useful, but she doesn't do much else. She does look lovely when she lets her hair down, though.

Prof. Miyajima is a cross between Capt. Obvious and a scientist. He's a brilliant man, but his dialogue states the obvious. He's also the only character with any sort of developement. It comes in his sense of guilt over helping fix MG, even if it was to save lives. He uses that guilt to strike back at the Simians at great risk to himself.

Agent Nanabara must be mentioned. This dark and mysterious fellow is the most interesting of all them all. He seems rather creepy when we first see him, stalking our protaganist and making his comments. The reveal that he's an agent provides a welcome surprise, and explains the previous creepy behavior. He's also quite the hero, a Japanese James Bond.

Last is Mugal, the Simian commander. If Nanbara is like James Bond, then Mugal is Blofeld. He can seem charming and friendly in an oily way, but the alien is ruthless and cruel. He keeps people around only as long as they are useful, and is not to be underestimated. However, he's also arrogant. His certainty of advanced Simian technology gives him a weakness that falls right into the hands of Nanbara and Miyajima.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.