Character discussion: Godzilla vs Hedorah

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Character discussion: Godzilla vs Hedorah

Post by edgaguirus »

I know I skipped over AMA, but I don't really care for the movie. If someone wants to analyze the characters of AMA, go right ahead. Meanwhile, I'm going onto the weirdest Godzilla movie I've ever seen. G vs H has a strong environmental message, but most of the characters aren't well developed.

Ken seems the strongest role here. This kid is a junior version of his father in several ways, but also has shades of Ichiro. The kid idolizes the heroic Godzilla, an attitude more common in the Gamera films. Ken isn't afraid to voice his ideas or opinions, either. He also has a strong bond with his older brother, Yukio. Overall, Ken is a step up from the kid hero of the previous movie.

I don't have much to say about Dr. Yano. He spends much of the film injured, with his wife worried over him. He does play the scientist role well, however. It makes him feel bland, but he's brilliant.

We then move onto the cat. We know little about this feline, but it's clearly an invincible creature. Men are dead, but the sludge has no effect on the cat. A truely great cat.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Character discussion: Godzilla vs Hedorah

Post by Ivo-goji »

Ken is hard to tolerate even acknowledging his positive qualities. Honestly the kids from the Millennium series Godzilla films are the only child characters I like in the franchise.

The film would probably be taken more seriously in general if it revolved primarily around Dr. Yano. I feel like Banno might have been going for a Dr. Yamane or Dr. Serizawa-esque character with him? He had the eyepatch and everything.

The cat deserves its own movie.

No love for Keiko Mari's character? Where would we be with her weird bodysuit and the club scene as a whole?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

"Get 'em Godzillaaaaaaa!!!"

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I'm rather fond of the human characters in this film. Individually there may not be much to them, though together they work and that's one of the benefits of ensemble casts. Ken is one the better child protagonists in the genre and I would have preferred if Miki had been wearing only paint instead of a bodysuit. Maybe that would have been a little much for Toho's intended audience. Also, Miki and Yukio's babysitting skills leave much to be desired. Not sure if it was intentional, but I like the allusions to Godzilla (1954). Dr. Yano is man of science with a bandage covering his right eye. The fish in his tank get dissolved. And he plays an important role in defeating the antagonist.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I thought about saying something about Miki, but I couldn't think of much. She doesn't really do that much for the film besides work as eye candy.

I agree about their baby sitting skills. Bringing Ken to a teenage party? I doubt they'll be asked to watch him again anytime soon.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I think they're okay, just a little bland. They're about on par with Legendary Godzilla's characters but maybe a bit better. They are just good enough to keep the movie flowing along, I guess. They just aren't very memorable.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Doesn't the older brother die or something? It's never really is explicit, nor dwelt on but I never realized it until my last viewing despite seeing the film 10+ times.

Ken is definitely the archetypical Kenny, but oddly I've never found him annoying. Just because he's a child he isn't censored from seeing grotesque stuff. Big improvement over the kid from AMA.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.