Monster Discussion #30: Godzilla (1955-1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #30: Godzilla (1955-1975)

Post by gigan72 »

This is the main discussion thread for the second Godzilla who first appeared in Godzilla Raids Again (1955) and appeared in every other film in the Showa Godzilla universe with followed.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Discussion #30: Godzilla (1955-1975)

Post by Dannybeane »

This is the Godzilla I grew up on!. He's muh boy! Whenever I think of an iconic Godzilla the suits that come to mind are the 68-72 and the 73-75 suits. I'd love to one day see Toho make a retro-styled hero Godzilla film and bring back one of the late showa designs.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

When most people think Godzilla it's this guy and the original that comes to mind

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

One of my favorites Godzillas of the franchise. Despite being the 2nd one I knew of (The original taking 1st place...) it is one of the best to me even to this day. A memorable hero.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

#1 greatest accidental character arc.

I love how much personality this Godzilla has when the films go full camp, and vs. Hedorah showed that it was still possible to do something thoughtful and bold with a fully heroic Godzilla as the star.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

This is what I see when I think of Godzilla. I grew up on this fellow. From villain to hero, I followed this guy through it all. :g64:
Resized Image

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

My favorite incarnation of the character, the Monster of Justice.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

My favorite monster of all time. He kicks ass, and is pretty funny!
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

Grew up on this one. My favorite version of the character.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Definitely the Godzilla with the most personality to me. If only we can completely follow another Godzilla with like 14 films.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

This one is the entire reason I became a Godzilla fan in the first place, the former villain turned hero. I especially like his appearance in 1974, he looked badass!
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

This is my all-time favorite incarnation of the character. He's truly an unstoppable badass. He's pretty good at volleyball and dancing, too.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

What do you guys think about Godzilla's magnetic ability?
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Ah Showa Godzilla. The Silver Age Superman of Kaijus making up powers on the fly. For the most part, I love this incarnation for nostalgia value and entertainment in the movies. This incarnation is the reason I ended up believing Godzilla was always a hero when I was younger regardless of incarnations and not the actual Nuclear Menace he's always meant to be. :lol:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Ah Showa Godzilla. The Silver Age Superman of Kaijus making up powers on the fly. For the most part, I love this incarnation for nostalgia value and entertainment in the movies. This incarnation is the reason I ended up believing Godzilla was always a hero when I was younger regardless of incarnations and not the actual Nuclear Menace he's always meant to be. :lol:
Ha! :D There's been so much talk of Godzilla vs. Superman lately, now I have the mental image of Superman (onscreen, Christopher Reeve would be perfect; his movies always did this) and Showa Godzilla, just standing there on the field of battle inventing new and increasingly-more-outlandish powers at one another. (Bonus- Christopher Reeve Superman is quite adept at fighting nuclear menaces! ;) )
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

godzillafan1954 wrote:What do you guys think about Godzilla's magnetic ability?
In context, skreeonking amazing.

I mean what can you say? This is the G-Man, right here. Heisei Godzilla is to me is the definitive characterization of the character, but Showa Godzilla had the most development of a character, the longest history, the most fights and victories... I could go on. I love everything about him.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:

I mean what can you say? This is the G-Man, right here. Heisei Godzilla is to me is the definitive characterization of the character, but Showa Godzilla had the most development of a character, the longest history, the most fights and victories... I could go on. I love everything about him.
The Magnetic ability is great, especially since it makes sense, Showa Godzilla became immune to electricity from the constant exposure to it in KKvsG, MvsG and Ebirah.

Although, for me the Showa Godzilla is the definitive characterization, especially the 1964 and 1974 designs since both show the good things from each half of the era:

1964 has what I think is the most recognizable spine pattern in the franchise, as well as the suit itself looking fantastic, while 74 is the perfect blend of a hero who is beyond pissed off, but still fights for what is good in the world.
He may not be the most realistic, but, again, Showa Godzilla will always be my favorite of the Godzilla incarnations.
Extra THICC!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Billzilla1974 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

The Magnetic ability is great, especially since it makes sense, Showa Godzilla became immune to electricity from the constant exposure to it in KKvsG, MvsG and Ebirah.

Although, for me the Showa Godzilla is the definitive characterization, especially the 1964 and 1974 designs since both show the good things from each half of the era:

1964 has what I think is the most recognizable spine pattern in the franchise, as well as the suit itself looking fantastic, while 74 is the perfect blend of a hero who is beyond pissed off, but still fights for what is good in the world.
He may not be the most realistic, but, again, Showa Godzilla will always be my favorite of the Godzilla incarnations.
I totally agree with you that design-wise, Showa Godzilla is the definition of Godzilla (even without the four toes and ears). I was never a fan of the triple row of dorsal fins. Just in terms of character portrayal though, I think Heisei is the best because he's animalistic (I'm not a fan of human-intelligence Godzilla outside of the context of cheesy goodness) and goes from villain to anti-hero, which feels a more natural fit.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

I understand, Godzilla is meant to be a walking nuclear disaster, and barely a temporary ally at best.

Personally i think the human-like intelligence gives the Showa monsters more sympathetic qualities, that and the horrifying thought of sentient daikaiju wanting revenge for being nuked seems interesting.

But I agree that when it comes to portraying what the original intent for Godzilla is, the Heisei Godzilla's animalistic intellect is more proper for the Character as a whole.
Extra THICC!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Billzilla1974 wrote:I understand, Godzilla is meant to be a walking nuclear disaster, and barely a temporary ally at best.

Personally i think the human-like intelligence gives the Showa monsters more sympathetic qualities, that and the horrifying thought of sentient daikaiju wanting revenge for being nuked seems interesting.

But I agree that when it comes to portraying what the original intent for Godzilla is, the Heisei Godzilla's animalistic intellect is more proper for the Character as a whole.
It's cool we can find common ground while also disagreeing - and I'd like to clarify that I do love superhero Showa Goji. I love that arc from villain to saviour of the world, and actually the showa era is my favourite in terms of the actual movies. I just think Godzilla in the heisei series does a good job of getting at the core of the character.