Monster Discussion #6: Mechani-Kong

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #6: Mechani-Kong

Post by gigan72 »

Resized Image
Discuss the mechanical Kong from the film King Kong Escapes (1967). Surprisingly, we have no thread active for this character.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Discussion #6: Mechani-Kong

Post by Dannybeane »

Its a shame he was only in one movie. Terror of MechaGodzilla should have featured some rusty mechanic-kong on Mechagodzilla action!

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I wish he was in more then 1 movie. He should have been in King Kong vs. Godzilla too!
Resized Image

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

His first appearance.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHV5ohslQA

His first appearance.

Cool! I forgot about that.
Last edited by Coobzilla03 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Anyone ever see the episode of THE MUPPET SHOW with this:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw a youtube clip with that.

Mechanikong has a fine design, but I can see why it only featured in one film. It works great as an enemy for Kong, but it's not strong enough for other kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah he first appeared in a cartoon. A little off topic but i find it funny that King Kong has had more cartoons than Godzilla.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

A fun concept that's unfortunately not nearly as fun as it should be on film.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Dannybeane wrote:Its a shame he was only in one movie. Terror of MechaGodzilla should have featured some rusty mechanic-kong on Mechagodzilla action!
There was a cool fan-fic written by Skip Peel in an early issue of G-FAN involving a battle by JSDF controlled Mogera, and a rebuilt Mechanikong. The latter being used by a group of criminals to ransom the Prime Minister, and his family during the events of Terror of Mechagodzilla.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I love Mechanikong! I do wish he put up more of a fight, and maybe shot a laser out of the alarm bell fez on his noggin. Definitely should have kept the grenade belt too. It would be great to see him tangle with Godzilla too!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:I love Mechanikong! I do wish he put up more of a fight, and maybe shot a laser out of the alarm bell fez on his noggin. Definitely should have kept the grenade belt too. It would be great to see him tangle with Godzilla too!
The reason Mechani-Kong probably wasn't equipped with grenades as speculated by G-FAN editor J.D. Lees was that Dr. Who wanted to bring back Kong as intact as possible. So blasting the big ape was counterproductive to International Judas' plans. Although, he could've always equipped his robot with gas grenades to subdue the King of Mondo Island.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That would have been a more effective idea than the hypnolight.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So recently I have been translating the "Monster King Godzilla" comics. I'm up to chapter 3, but Mechani-Kong actually appears here, and briefly fights Godzilla, n it's most substantial role in the franchise outside the original film.

You can read the whole thing here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TsnJE ... B5rLeLvk-I
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:I love Mechanikong! I do wish he put up more of a fight, and maybe shot a laser out of the alarm bell fez on his noggin. Definitely should have kept the grenade belt too. It would be great to see him tangle with Godzilla too!
I've seen at least two promotional stills from King Kong Escapes with Mechani-Kong shooting laser beams from the jewel on his head - one at the Tokyo Tower where it's shooting a beam at Kong (a variation of this still is on the current U.S. DVD and Blu-ray of the film) and one at Dr. Hu's Arctic base with Kong fighting Gorosaurus while Mechani-Kong's shooting two beams from the jewel at both of them.

Can anyone please supply me with pictures of these two stills?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've got a couple of questions here:

*Was The King Kong Show made by both Toei and Rankin-Bass together?
*If it was, who would Toho have had to go to to get the rights for Mechani-Kong to use him in King Kong Escapes - Toei or Rankin-Bass?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

mikelcho wrote:I've got a couple of questions here:

*If it was, who would Toho have to go to to get the rights for Mechani-Kong to use him in King Kong Escapes - Toei or Rankin-Bass?
I'm no expert but I'd imagine Toei did the animation and R/B did the rest?
As far as Mechanikong as we know him if Toho had to go through someone it would probably be R/B.
Then again what do I know?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I posted sanctioned Toho products from Japan with Mechani-Kong. R/B went defunct in 1987. I imagine that Toho has complete license over their version. Also, note that the one that appears in the movie is very visually distinct from the live-action version.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's Rankin/Bass' production, they contracted Toei to do the animation.
*If it was, who would Toho have to go to to get the rights for Mechani-Kong to use him in King Kong Escapes - Toei or Rankin-Bass?
Toei wouldn't have any rights to the character. Furthermore, Toho didn't have to *go to* Rankin/Bass to do the film. It was the other way around, with R/B going to Toho to do a sort of live action adaptation of the show.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:

It's Rankin/Bass' production, they contracted Toei to do the animation.
Toei wouldn't have any rights to the character. Furthermore, Toho didn't have to *go to* Rankin/Bass to do the film. It was the other way around, with R/B going to Toho to do a sort of live action adaptation of the show.
Thanks!

I figured the first one was that way, but didn't know about the second one.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.