Talkback: Rodan (1956)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Talkback: Rodan (1956)

Post by LegendZilla »

Imagine what it would be like if Toho was able to digitally remove the wires in future releases of their Tokusatsu films, including this one?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

LegendZilla wrote:Imagine what it would be like if Toho was able to digitally remove the wires in future releases of their Tokusatsu films, including this one?
The Rodan Blu-Ray in Japan has the wires edited it out.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Imagine what it would be like if Toho was able to digitally remove the wires in future releases of their Tokusatsu films, including this one?
Those lucky sons of bitches over there!
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Things like that dont bother me at all, I'm happy with Rodan having visible strings, just like that shot in Gojira where you clearly see the strings on his tail through the window
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

At this point, those strings are a part of film history and our cultural heritage. Removing them does the viewer a disservice in that respect.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:At this point, those strings are a part of film history and our cultural heritage. Removing them does the viewer a disservice in that respect.
I full heartily agree.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:At this point, those strings are a part of film history and our cultural heritage. Removing them does the viewer a disservice in that respect.
I full heartily agree.
Fairly sure the special effects guys behind these films would full heartily disagree.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I doubt they care right about now, so who cares.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MM Raids Again wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
I full heartily agree.
Fairly sure the special effects guys behind these films would full heartily disagree.
Once the work is released to the public, the intent of the creators has to take a back seat. You don't get to rewrite history because you wish it could have happened differently.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Rodan is my favorite of Toho's 1950s monster movies (Gojira is a very close second), Rodan 56 looks unique and powerful, like it really could destroy a city if it wanted to. (I hate the extremely long beak concept for legendary Rodan because it makes him look more like a generic pterosaur)
The soundtrack is amazing, I like the ominous cavern theme for when they find the piece of eggshell.
I will admit this is one of the few movies that I prefer the American version over the Japanese one, mainly due to the original having 5 minutes of the same missile sound effects/images being used over and over.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

LegendZilla wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Those lucky sons if bitches over there!
You can say that again. Nothing against the wires or strings, but I just don't see the point of keeping them if there's an opportunity to get rid of them. A few digital alterations like that only helps, if anything.

As long as the editors aren't actively going out of their way to get rid of older versions of the film like George Lucas did with his The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition, I think it'd be fine. I support preservation, but I also support things like digital enhancement, new dubs, etc.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Billzilla1974 wrote:I will admit this is one of the few movies that I prefer the American version over the Japanese one, mainly due to the original having 5 minutes of the same missile sound effects/images being used over and over.
Oh gosh, yes. That was interminable.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

rodan fan1956
Ronin

Rodan

Post by rodan fan1956 »

My review for rodan https://youtu.be/faDv3Pvq5kk

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Zarm wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:I will admit this is one of the few movies that I prefer the American version over the Japanese one, mainly due to the original having 5 minutes of the same missile sound effects/images being used over and over.
Do you at least lament the fact that some of Ifukube's score was removed?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rodan may actually be my favorite of Toho's non Godzilla kaiju films (FCtW probably being a close 2nd). The darker horror themed aspects of the early portion of the film really stand out to me. Plus Rodan has never looked so good before or since (please MonsterVerse make Rodan badass again). You know in a way I think Rodan actually feels more like 50s American creature feature than any other Toho film.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Zarm wrote:
That's historic stuff man. That footage was from back when Toho was still experimenting in hypnosis.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Do you at least lament the fact that some of Ifukube's score was removed?
Yes, The only film I'm glad didn't have ifukube's score was GvsMG 74. I know some fans prefer ToMG's score, but I feel it doesn't compare to Ifukube's previous music during the 50s and early 60s.
His score in the Japanese version of Rodan is superior to virtually all of the American version's music.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One highlight of the film has always been the buildup to the Meganulons. When I was a kid, I found it quite eerie.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

This is an all around fantastic film. Absolutely love it. My favorite Rodan design, my favorite Rodan roar (it's just so damn terrifying), the build up is fantastic, it's just a GREAT film.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Rodan is probably my favorite non-Godzilla monster movie that Toho ever made.

I love the build up and suspense leading to Rodan's appearance, and I love the reveal that there are two of them. And you can definitely see the influence it had on action sequences for years to come, particularly aerial/dogfight type of scenes. I mean...that Battle of Yavin in Star Wars has some similarities, no? Its just a great monster flick.

Yeah, the wires are visible everywhere during the city destruction (an otherwise fantastic scene), but I always give older movies slack because that was all they had to work with back then. To me, back then, it was just amazing that they were able to capture the images and make it work without computer generated images or a ton of money thrown into it.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.