Talkback: Rodan (1956)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: Rodan (1956)

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Good article about the movie. I found myself agreeing with the elements brought on it.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I realize I'm bumping an old topic, so apologies if necessary.

But according to the "Celebrity ICONS" kaiju page on facebook, Yumi Shirakawa has passed away at age 79. She played Kiyo, the girlfriend of Kenji Sahara's character. She also had roles in The Mysterians, The H-Man, and Gorath.

https://www.facebook.com/20213817319576 ... =3&theater

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ saw that on fb, very sad.

This movie was great, just wish the Meganulon didn't look so goofy
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

TheSecondComing wrote:I realize I'm bumping an old topic, so apologies if necessary.

But according to the "Celebrity ICONS" kaiju page on facebook, Yumi Shirakawa has passed away at age 79. She played Kiyo, the girlfriend of Kenji Sahara's character. She also had roles in The Mysterians, The H-Man, and Gorath.

https://www.facebook.com/20213817319576 ... =3&theater

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Sad she passed away, but then again, we're losing all the stars/actors from that era. That kind of makes it ultra sad... :(

I should watch this film again though. Rodan's 1956 suit blows the other Showa Rodan suit(s?) out of the water. Dare I say it, I even prefer the '56 look over the '04.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Darth Kiryu wrote:Rodan's 1956 suit blows the other Showa Rodan suit(s?) out of the water. Dare I say it, I even prefer the '56 look over the '04.
You should absolutely dare to say it, because it's totally true.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:
Darth Kiryu wrote:Rodan's 1956 suit blows the other Showa Rodan suit(s?) out of the water. Dare I say it, I even prefer the '56 look over the '04.
Yeah, the 1956 suit was the best, hands down, but I have a special place for the 64 suit in my heart as well. Sure, it looks goofy, but it just has a charm to me that I like :lol:
If I had to rank the Rodan's, it'd be
1964-1968

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Yeah. I don't think many would argue with you about '56 being the best. I do really like the '64 design though.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Yeah, the 1956 suit was the best, hands down, but I have a special place for the 64 suit in my heart as well. Sure, it looks goofy, but it just has a charm to me that I like :lol:
If I had to rank the Rodan's, it'd be
1964-1968
I think I'd rank them:
1964-1968
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ I'm not a fan at all of the Heisei Rodan, way too weak looking and frail to be "Godzilla's equal"
The Showa suits look great, but the FW suit just comes off as a 2000 era Ultraman Rodan, but it still retains that Showa Rodan look so I'll let it pass, not a giant fan of it, but I dislike the Heisei prop way more

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

^I don't especially need Rodan to be Godzilla equal. I think the suit (well, really the puppet) serves the needs of that specific story, and it made for one of my favorite Bandai figures. Of course, I'm also a fan of the Heisei Mechagodzilla design, which is not very popular these days either.

The Final Wars suit doesn't give me any real sense of personality, which I'd say holds true for pretty much all of the FW designs.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Frankly, considering his size, I think Rodan gave Godzilla one of his toughest fights in the Heisei series. I've long thought that Rodan was essentially Godzilla's equal, without strictly being his enemy, and I guess I've always thought that was pretty cool.
Lain Of The Wired wrote:This movie was great, just wish the Meganulon didn't look so goofy.
They may look goofy to you, but they still give me chills.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rody wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:This movie was great, just wish the Meganulon didn't look so goofy.
They may look goofy to you, but they still give me chills.
They're definitely uncanny.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote:
Yeah, I don't think most people here would disagree with that statement.

Hell, the FW suit is actually my LEAST favorite Rodan design. That's just me, though.
eabaker wrote:]Of course, I'm also a fan of the Heisei Mechagodzilla design, which is not very popular these days either.
I think it's the lack of personality that the machine has, rather than its design, that turns a lot of people off.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I think it's the lack of personality that the machine has, rather than its design, that turns a lot of people off.
I can see that. To me, the cold, purely mechanical feel of it is appropriate to the story. Unlike other incarnations of MG, this one really is just supposed to be a machine masquerading as an animal.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

How sad to hear about Yumi Shirakawa passing. My sympathies to her family.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rodan is definitely one of Toho's best solo kaiju features. One of the few that really plays up the horror aspect. Would love a modern remake someday.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd also like to see the Meganulon get their own solo film. Half the film belongs to them, and they made for good horror.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:I'd also like to see the Meganulon get their own solo film. Half the film belongs to them, and they made for good horror.
One of the reasons that I kinda-sorta stand by GxMegaguirus is that it gets some nice horror moments out of the Meganulon in the second act.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Last time I watched this movie, which was in 2011, I remember the creepy, suspenseful Meganulon--centric portion of the movie being the part I enjoyed most. I felt like the movie lost a lot of its atmosphere after the Rodans showed up.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio