Is the name Gigantis trademakred?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Is the name Gigantis trademakred?

Post by miguelnuva »

Just thought about it since the name Gigantis was just used in the Bandai Godzilla name did Toho have the name trademarked or is it public domain?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Is the name Gigantis trademakred?

Post by Pkmatrix »

miguelnuva wrote:Just thought about it since the name Gigantis was just used in the Bandai Godzilla name did Toho have the name trademarked or is it public domain?
You can check with the U.S. Copyright Office to find out, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Pkmatrix wrote:You can check with the U.S. Copyright Office to find out, but I'm pretty sure it's not.
It is. At least the full film title is, Gigantis, the fire monster.

Toho renewed it back in 1987 and a couple times before that too. The other name that appears in the US Copyright claim is actually "Harry B. Swerdlow." (random fact)
If it bites... don't mess with it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Any idea why they'd renew the copyright?

I really don't know jackshit about copyright, not gonna pretend, but do you think if Gigantis became public domain people could just Godzilla and Angurius's likeness completely legally so long as Godzilla was "Gigantis" and not Godzilla?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Any idea why they'd renew the copyright?

I really don't know jackshit about copyright, not gonna pretend, but do you think if Gigantis became public domain people could just Godzilla and Angurius's likeness completely legally so long as Godzilla was "Gigantis" and not Godzilla?
In theory Angurius no, but if Angurius's roar wasn't trademarked and Gigants wasn't trademarked maybe you could use 55 Goji with the Abgurius roar.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

I believe Godzilla's appearance is also trademarked, so a new Gigantis would have to look significantly different.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Why not, would be the better question?

Toho would of course use the international title of Godzilla Raids Again when they can, but this would allow them to keep access to the older US title as needed. Plus it would help avoid any confusion that the film might have slipped into public domain. Lord knows Toho is probably still worried about the latter, considering people incorrectly assumed Godzilla vs. Megalon was in public domain in the 1980's and all the way through the era of DVDs at certain points. Spending a bit more for added copyright on their biggest franchise is probably well worth the effort... Toho has to put their good size legal team to work anyway.

What you mentioned in your second part is a good enough reason right there for Toho to renew the copyright to avoid any future confusion on the matter. But also no... someone couldn't use Godzilla's likeness if Toho were to allow the Gigantis the Fire Monster title to lapse on the copyright.
If it bites... don't mess with it!