Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5492
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:32 pm

We should let Toho know we want merchandise based on that tower. Letterbox, pencil sharpeners, lamps, etc.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Grievous » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:20 pm

edgaguirus wrote:We should let Toho know we want merchandise based on that tower. Letterbox, pencil sharpeners, lamps, etc.

Good idea...
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6138
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Bandai wouldn’t have to articulate it!
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby GojiDog » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:43 am

The Godzilla Tower is certainly one of the nuttier anti-Godzilla weapons (and keep in mind, that is a list that includes a black hole gun).

I mean you have to admire how brazen the Cockroach aliens are. Lets construct a giant tower in Godzilla's image and basically taunt him into approaching us. We then burn him down with an image of himself.

Godzilla's reaction to it is also one of my favorite "anthropomorphic" moments for him in the series. The stunned disbelief, and smacking himself in the head to clear the cobwebs are just hysterical.

And I also have to admit, as a kid, it was one of the most dramatic moments in the series. Beaten, battered, and bloodied by two monsters, Anguiras hurt, and now getting burned down by the tower. It looked like Godzilla was going to lose and lose badly.

User avatar
Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 pm

GojiDog wrote: Godzilla's reaction to it is also one of my favorite "anthropomorphic" moments for him in the series. The stunned disbelief, and smacking himself in the head to clear the cobwebs are just hysterical.

It has the potential to take one down a weird mind-fuck trail. Godzilla seems to be self aware enough to be confused by a statue made in his image but how exactly does he know what he looks like? Things that make you go hmmm....
Last edited by Crazy Jim Films on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

User avatar
Freebleeper
Ronin
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Freebleeper » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:27 am

Crazy Jim Films wrote:
GojiDog wrote: Godzilla's reaction to it is also one of my favorite "anthropomorphic" moments for him in the series. The stunned disbelief, and smacking himself in the head to clear the cobwebs are just hysterical.

It has the potential to take one down a weird mind-fuck trail. Godzilla seems to be self aware enough to be confused by a statue made in his image but how exactly does he know what he looks like? Things that make you go hmmm....


Oh and things will get more severe when another alien race makes a robotic version of him and he wasn't as stun in disbelief because I think Angirius first hand warned him and speaking of why and how Angirius came out of the ground in that one is because (I know it was originally suppose to be Baragon) is because in the previous film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) he's sunks into the ground during underground nuclear bombing testing was happening at the beginning and strangely never seen or heard ever again through the whole movie.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Godzillian » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:07 am

Freebleeper wrote:
Crazy Jim Films wrote:
GojiDog wrote: Godzilla's reaction to it is also one of my favorite "anthropomorphic" moments for him in the series. The stunned disbelief, and smacking himself in the head to clear the cobwebs are just hysterical.

It has the potential to take one down a weird mind-fuck trail. Godzilla seems to be self aware enough to be confused by a statue made in his image but how exactly does he know what he looks like? Things that make you go hmmm....


Oh and things will get more severe when another alien race makes a robotic version of him and he wasn't as stun in disbelief because I think Angirius first hand warned him and speaking of why and how Angirius came out of the ground in that one is because (I know it was originally suppose to be Baragon) is because in the previous film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) he's sunks into the ground during underground nuclear bombing testing was happening at the beginning and strangely never seen or heard ever again through the whole movie.

Baragon was never going to be in the film, that's just a myth
Image

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby GojiDog » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 am

Godzillian wrote:
Freebleeper wrote:
Crazy Jim Films wrote:
It has the potential to take one down a weird mind-fuck trail. Godzilla seems to be self aware enough to be confused by a statue made in his image but how exactly does he know what he looks like? Things that make you go hmmm....


Oh and things will get more severe when another alien race makes a robotic version of him and he wasn't as stun in disbelief because I think Angirius first hand warned him and speaking of why and how Angirius came out of the ground in that one is because (I know it was originally suppose to be Baragon) is because in the previous film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) he's sunks into the ground during underground nuclear bombing testing was happening at the beginning and strangely never seen or heard ever again through the whole movie.

Baragon was never going to be in the film, that's just a myth


Yeah, Baragon being in that role wouldn't have made any sense.

Anguirus by that point was Godzilla's buddy/sidekick. Him being in that role had more impact.

User avatar
Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Freebleeper wrote: Angirius came out of the ground in that one is because (I know it was originally suppose to be Baragon) is because in the previous film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) he's sunks into the ground during underground nuclear bombing testing was happening at the beginning and strangely never seen or heard ever again through the whole movie.


You're forgetting the pre-credit sequence in Siberia where Angurius is seen very clearly above ground.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5520
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby LegendZilla » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:59 pm

^I’m sure Toho would’ve very much preferred to have Baragon in GvMG.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:23 pm

LegendZilla wrote:^I’m sure Toho would’ve very much preferred to have Baragon in GvMG.

What makes you say that?
Last edited by Crazy Jim Films on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5520
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby LegendZilla » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Crazy Jim Films wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^I’m sure Toho would’ve very much preferred to have Baragon in GvMG.

What makes you say that?


The only reason Toho stuck with Anguirus at that point was because to suit held up.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13963
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:33 pm

LegendZilla wrote:
Crazy Jim Films wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^I’m sure Toho would’ve very much preferred to have Baragon in GvMG.

What makes you say that?


The only reason Toho stuck with Anguirus at that point was because to suit held up.


Oh yeah, definitely not because it made more narrative sense than Baragon who wasn't relevant since 1965.

Do you even read what you send sometimes, dude?
Image

User avatar
Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:35 pm

That's how I saw it as well, UltramanGoji. Angurius was definitely a more prominently featured character in that era. His role was bigger in Destroy All Monsters and was a featured supporting ally in Godzilla vs. Gigan with additional moments in Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge. Made perfect sense to me for him to be in that position.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13963
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:55 pm

Crazy Jim Films wrote:That's how I saw it as well, UltramanGoji. Angurius was definitely a more prominently featured character in that era. His role was bigger in Destroy All Monsters and was a featured supporting ally in Godzilla vs. Gigan with additional moments in Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge. Made perfect sense to me for him to be in that position.


And like...the whole crux of that scene is that Anguirus, a known ally to Godzilla, is suddenly attacking Godzilla. Literally said in the movie: "Something's wrong, Anguirus shouldn't attack his friend Godzilla."

Are people really so upset that Anguirus suddenly gained the ability to burrow underground that they really think Baragon should've been in that position instead?
Image

User avatar
Freebleeper
Ronin
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Freebleeper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
Crazy Jim Films wrote:That's how I saw it as well, UltramanGoji. Angurius was definitely a more prominently featured character in that era. His role was bigger in Destroy All Monsters and was a featured supporting ally in Godzilla vs. Gigan with additional moments in Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge. Made perfect sense to me for him to be in that position.


And like...the whole crux of that scene is that Anguirus, a known ally to Godzilla, is suddenly attacking Godzilla. Literally said in the movie: "Something's wrong, Anguirus shouldn't attack his friend Godzilla."

Are people really so upset that Anguirus suddenly gained the ability to burrow underground that they really think Baragon should've been in that position instead?


I'm not really "upset" but it would of more sense to have Baragon instead of Angirius because we didn't know about his ability to go underground and to rephrase the opening scene with Angirus, maybe those explosions cause him to go underground again, just a theory from me. ;)

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4893
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:02 am

To be fair, we didn't really know about Godzilla's ability to turn into a giant magnet when struck by lightning before this film, either. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Freebleeper
Ronin
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Freebleeper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:30 am

Zarm wrote:To be fair, we didn't really know about Godzilla's ability to turn into a giant magnet when struck by lightning before this film, either. ;)


Makes me wish the Frankenstein's Monster became a magnet too when he was struck by lightning! :lol: :lol: and than the villagers wouldn't have a chance to run away from him! :) :lol:

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5492
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm

If Godzilla had turned magnet in Vs Gigan, the roaches would have had some trouble. Just picture the massive magnetic energy coming off Godzilla jamming their computers.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
Gothicserpent
Futurian
Posts: 1645
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Postby Gothicserpent » Sat May 11, 2019 11:34 am

After rewatching the film, seeing Godzilla approach the tower and then instantly getting blasted by it is one of the more somber late Showa moments.

I get the feeling that he thought it was another member of his species and thought he might not be alone anymore.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests