Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

Post by HayesAJones »

A cool, well-designed monster. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Legendary Pictures reboot.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Except, ya know, the design of the head, and the size of the belly.
So you're saying the VERY FIRST TIME you saw Godzilla vs. Megalon, the very first time you saw Gigan, your very first thought was "Gigan's head and belly look totally different. They really updated him for 1973!"
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

See now everyone loves Showa Gigan, but I'd say up until a year or two ago I'd only heard two or three people prefer Showa over Millennium. Not that I disagree - though I do like the Millennium design, I think Showa ends up an overall better monster.
Yeah that's pretty much my opinion.

The Megalon suit is detailed, but the material it is made of looks rather fakeish. That's my main beef agaisnt it. Gigan suffers abit from this, but certainly less. If detail, detail, detail meant everything, the Heisei suits wouldn't be hated so much.
I understand the concentrated internet American fanbase seems to absolutely adore Grand King Ghidora and FW Gigan but as a whole - and especially in Japan - the original versions are far and away considered superior.
But since most of TK fits into that category, is it THAT much of a surprise that I prefer the FW Gigan? (like you and Goji seemed to be implying anyway)
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

People have loved the Showa Gigan for decades. Obviously, he's more popular. This is something a 7 old could probably grasp. Come on guys, good lord..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

Showa Gigan looks more like a typical monster in frame design.

FW Gigan looks too human. The overall design is kinda crappy too. The redesigned weapons looked clunky and awful. The optic beam was different.

I guess I just prefer Gigan's fat Parrot look.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

People have loved the Showa Gigan for decades. Obviously, he's more popular. This is something a 7 old could probably grasp. Come on guys, good lord..
That wasn't even what I was debating about. I wish you Showa fans would stop being so overdefensive. Seriously.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lol @ the "you Showa fans" remark. So what are you exactly? A "sort of" Showa fan? 1/3 Showa fan? Showa fan when you feel like it?

The irony of it all, is that you for some reason have an avatar of *gasp* the Showa Gigan!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I think people are confusing people's preferences of monster vs. design.

Gigan Showa is far, far and away a better monster than Gigan Millennium. Not really much of a debate there. But some people prefer FW Gigan's design. The design is only the visual aspect. I think some people are just confused between those.

Personally I'd like to see a slightly flashier Millennium.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Personally, I prefer the Showa Gigan. Design has nothing to do with it, but portrayal does. The Showa Gigan was a cruel thug and villain you love to hate. He was perfect for an enemy. GFW Gigan didn't have quite that quality.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

I say, Mix the two JVM, keep the hooks... they are very signature of Gigan. Then make him stockier or more animalistic than human framed Mel Gigan, but possibly a little lighter framed than the Showa one.

I also wouldn't mind finding out exactly how much of him is Cyborg and how much isn't.

Might also be fun to see Godzilla battle a few of them ala Gyaos from Gamera... just a big ole fleet of flying Gigans laying down destruction!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ Yeah, I'd like to find out more about Gigan's cyborgism. We really don't know what the hell he is. Maybe that's part of his charm. And I'll note Showa Gigan always seemed more hybridized to me, whereas GFW Gigan seemed almost like a full mech.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Guardian7 wrote:
I also wouldn't mind finding out exactly how much of him is Cyborg and how much isn't.
I actually have a Japanese book showing the insides of Gigan, Mecha-King Ghidorah, and the Showa Mechagodzilla. Once I actually get access to a working scanner, I will try to upload them for you all to see.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

I totally forgot I had an image of that Goji. I have the one of the old school Gigan cutaway (Though I have never seen Mecha King Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla).

There it is.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The Trendmasters toy was just the Showa design with grossly enlarged muscles, it looked awful. I doubt it would have looked as bad as that...but we saw how the adult Mothra turned out, so who knows.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Nice, Guardian. If Gigan could talk, I imagine him saying, " Resistance is futile."
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Goji wrote:The Trendmasters toy was just the Showa design with grossly enlarged muscles, it looked awful. I doubt it would have looked as bad as that...but we saw how the adult Mothra turned out, so who knows.
Eh, the 6" version is fine really besides the legs and horns being too miniscule. The 10" version though... :X

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

LOL!! Oh man, that's rich. I was NOT expecting that as I continued to scroll down.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Heisei Gigan would have been a whole lot bulkier, but everything from the legs up doesn't seem Heisei-ish to me. :? It definitely looks more like a kid-friendly Showa gigan to me.

In any case, people seem to adore the fatness of Showa Gigan over the sleek Millenium Gigan anyway, so yeah, a Heisei Gigan would probably have been kinda badass. ;)

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

I always saw Heisei Gigan around something like the Treadmaster's Gigan.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

Too funny.
Gigan has the HEISEI Hips syndrome.
Which is probably what he would have looked like... and they likely would have used SHOWA Minya's vocals for him.