Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Re: Monster Discussion #32: Gigan (Showa)

Post by Killswitch »

I've always looked at Gigan as a creature that was transformed into a cyborg. Megalon too! Those drill arms aren't natural.

I've been working on a Godzilla vs Megalon reboot fan fiction story off & on for years. In my story, two alien worlds are at war. One alien race was running out of resources and could no longer fund its Mech Army, so they focused on mind control and enhancing giant monsters.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ Well you're wrong, Megalon's drills are natural, there's nothing mechanical about him at all.

And thanks to the new PS4 game, (and yes the bios are legit) We finally know what Gigan was.
For those who don't know, Gigan was a space dinosaur, later turned cyborg by the Nebula Space Hunter M.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

^those drill arms look like they are made of metal.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Killswitch wrote:^those drill arms look like they are made of metal.
Yes, I'm aware of that. But they are 100% natural, this shit comes from Toho. There's even an article on the main site discussing Megalon's biology. Find it, read it, and be amazed.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Shit is right! LOL I haven't read the article yet, but I've seen video game bio's and this crap was written years and years after the movie was made. These creatures get new abilities or weapons and their size change over the years too!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Killswitch wrote:Shit is right! LOL I haven't read the article yet, but I've seen video game bio's and this crap was written years and years after the movie was made. These creatures get new abilities or weapons and their size change over the years too!
You can call it "shit" if you want, fine, but it's official.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Come to think of it, I remember seeing the skeleton of a Giganosaurus in the museum.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Shit is right! LOL I haven't read the article yet, but I've seen video game bio's and this crap was written years and years after the movie was made. These creatures get new abilities or weapons and their size change over the years too!
You can call it "shit" if you want, fine, but it's official.
I read the article. I actually read it long time ago, but forgot all about it. They are really pulling some $hit out their a$$ on that one - LOL

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

edgaguirus wrote:Come to think of it, I remember seeing the skeleton of a Giganosaurus in the museum.
Confirmed?

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Mechagigan wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Come to think of it, I remember seeing the skeleton of a Giganosaurus in the museum.
http://i.imgur.com/2fs3FEJ.png
Confirmed?
This is now my new headcanon.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Mechagigan wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/2fs3FEJ.png
Confirmed?
Naw, he was a SPACE dinosaur, :lol:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just watched Godzilla vs Gigan again. I noticed something interesting. At 1:08-1:09 Amguirus and Godzilla kick a rock around with Gigan. At the end of the kick session Gigan's second "eye" flashes for a second. I wonder if that when Gigan was supposed to use his eye laser thing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I just watched Godzilla vs Gigan again. I noticed something interesting. At 1:08-1:09 Amguirus and Godzilla kick a rock around with Gigan. At the end of the kick session Gigan's second "eye" flashes for a second. I wonder if that when Gigan was supposed to use his eye laser thing.
Nope, Gigan wasn't supposed to have a laser. Gigan WAS supposed to have some unique ability though, but I've forgotten what it was.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I just watched Godzilla vs Gigan again. I noticed something interesting. At 1:08-1:09 Amguirus and Godzilla kick a rock around with Gigan. At the end of the kick session Gigan's second "eye" flashes for a second. I wonder if that when Gigan was supposed to use his eye laser thing.
Nope, Gigan wasn't supposed to have a laser. Gigan WAS supposed to have some unique ability though, but I've forgotten what it was.
The poster says otherwise!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigan was supposed to have a laser, but the weapon was axed because, I think, cost.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

edgaguirus wrote:Gigan was supposed to have a laser, but the weapon was axed because, I think, cost.
There is an article SOMEWHERE, and I swear I remember that it wasn't a lazar, it was some sort of Buddhist thing...

EDIT: Ok, I found the part of the article that mentions it, it claims that it was supposed to be this Buddhist sixth sense aura ray thing, but it was axed because they didn't think it was a power cyborgs could attain, only humans.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

edgaguirus wrote:Gigan was supposed to have a laser, but the weapon was axed because, I think, cost.

If I recall correctly, SFX director Nakano said in an interview at G-Fest a while back that they nixed the eye beam because they thought Gigan was impressive enough already and didn't need it...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Godzilla1703
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla1703 »

This is my favorite incarnation of the cyborg, yet if Gigan had the eye beam he would've been twice as impressive.
Shadow Arena History: Wins: 37(I'm heading for 50 :D) Losses: 26
Chris55 wrote:
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:^

Wont see that shit in Godzilla.
We did. A whole movie was based around it. It was called "GINO".

:)

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:

If I recall correctly, SFX director Nakano said in an interview at G-Fest a while back that they nixed the eye beam because they thought Gigan was impressive enough already and didn't need it...
And the reason I mentioned...