Rodan Breath Blast: What?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Rodan Breath Blast: What?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So on the main site and a bunch of other places online it says Rodan can fire a concentrated blast of air in 1956. I've seen the movie a couple of times and I can't quite remmeber when such a thing happened. If it did actually happen where did it?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Rodan Breath Blast: What?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I just found this old poster.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... c4bc6b.jpg

And I tried to find a screencap of a specific part in the movie where we saw a lot of air getting blown out of one of the Rodan's beaks while attacking the city. As a kid and adult I never thought much of it and just thought it was some dramatic effect not an actual attack. I mean if they did it a few times I would started figuring it was a straight up breathe weapon.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

I actually specifically remember the exact shot you're talking about. As a kid, I never thought much of it (like I did with all movies), but thinking back to it now, it honestly seems kinda dumb.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Okay I rewatched the film, I now see what the breath blast is. It's really faint so it makes sense I didn't catch it on an earlier poorer quality dvd release+my old tv that was crap.

Still it's very weird. Rodan can already create huge gusts with it's wings and sonic booms so it's a really weird power to give such a creature.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

I never noticed this. I'll have to look for it next time I watch Rodan.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Odd? Maybe, but not unnatural. I've blown at flies to get them away from me, so Rodan blasting his/her enemies with a strong breath isn't that strange.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

edgaguirus wrote:Odd? Maybe, but not unnatural. I've blown at flies to get them away from me, so Rodan blasting his/her enemies with a strong breath isn't that strange.
I don't think "blowing really hard on enemies you want to kill" is something most animals in the wild ever do.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote:Odd? Maybe, but not unnatural. I've blown at flies to get them away from me, so Rodan blasting his/her enemies with a strong breath isn't that strange.
It's not like Rodan bends over and gives everything a little blow. His head moves left and right and you see the air come out and it looks like Godzilla's beam, just transparent and more subtle. It makes me wonder if they intended to maybe color it in, like on the poster, and give Rodan a beam weapon but it got cut and the outline is all that's left. After that happens everything is on fire so it's something to look more into.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mr. Xeno wrote: I don't think "blowing really hard on enemies you want to kill" is something most animals in the wild ever do.
Maybe not, but it's not much different than Rodan using wing-generated wind gusts as a weapon. No normal animal does that, either.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:After that happens everything is on fire so it's something to look more into.
That's because a CALTEX truck gets blown right into a building and explodes (those trucks have a funny habit of burning cities to the ground, don't they?). It's kind of a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.

It should be noted, though, that the destructive gusts get even more intense when Rodan starts utilizing that blast.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

Apparently I'm the only one who noticed that EDIT: the breath the 1st time I saw it.
Last edited by 2009MECHAGODZILLA on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I remember that scene. It was odd. I guess it was a precursor to Fire Rodan, almost 40 years later?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I noticed the truck as well. I figured that was the source of the fire as Rodan only attacks with wind and shockwaves.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Rodan was going to have fire breath like Godzilla but the film makers thought it made him too similar so they scraped and forgot to cut the unfinished effects. Kind like Gigans laser.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Thus the image on the Italian poster.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

darthzilla99 wrote:Rodan was going to have fire breath like Godzilla but the film makers thought it made him too similar so they scraped and forgot to cut the unfinished effects. Kind like Gigans laser.
That's originally what I thought but people are pointing out there's some truck.
I wonder if Fire Rodan in a sense is kind of a reference to all this. Fire Rodan basically had a weaker version of Godzilla's signature beam.