Monster Discussion #X Gorosaurus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
three
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #X Gorosaurus

Post by three »

Gorosaurus, often overlooked and forgotten. i dig him. less is more sometimes, such as in Rodan's case, and it works for Goro, too.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Missingno. wrote:I don't know why everyone complains about Baragon needing more screen time... Sure, I understand that Gorosaurus being used for an attack that was treated as Baragon's is confusing and disappointing, but he did have his own film in which he fights Frankenstein, whereas Gorosaurus has a short fight between King Kong and gets to really shine in DaM, but even then, he still has less time than Baragon ever did.
NSZ wrote:That's actually a misconception. Anguirus was involved with the 20th anniversary film before it even became Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.
^^That is very true. For anyone who isn't aware of this already, please refer here: http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... misaki.htm
I really wish the whole "Baragon was originally supposed to be in GvsMG!!!" nonsense would just go away already. This was nothing but pure fanboy speculation started years ago (dating back during the ALT Movies: Monsters thread....man, the flame wars that took place on there everyday! :lol: ) and accepted by many over the years as fact. Baragon was *NEVER* considered for the 1974 film.

Honestly, Baragon basically received his own film in FCTW and played a major role in GMK, so I'm not really too broken up about his absence from certain scenes in DAM (and he did manage to still appear in the film, albeit a much smaller role than originally intended ). On the bright side, it gave more spotlight to a very unique kaiju that has become one of my personal favorites of the genre, Gorosaurus, and Gorosaurus has steadily developed a major following over the years. If it weren't for Baragon suit not being ready for filming, then Gorosaurus likely would have remained just a simple "throw away" opponent for King Kong in KKE, so it turned out to be a major blessing in disguise. It's really great to see Gorosaurus' recent appearance in the latest IDW Godzilla ROE comic, and I hope he keeps popping up in future Godzilla-related goods and items....
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Well the storyboards for the film show Gorosaurus attacking Paris and even burrowing up out of the ground so it's safe to assume the Baragon was never intended to be the kaiju sent to Paris

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Godzillian wrote:Well the storyboards for the film show Gorosaurus attacking Paris and even burrowing up out of the ground so it's safe to assume the Baragon was never intended to be the kaiju sent to Paris
Really? I've never heard that. Are there any photos of the storyboards that you could share? I'd be curious to see those storyboards.
-Thanks
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I thought that Gorosaurus appeared because the Baragon suit was being used for another project at the time. If he was intended for the scene, why does the newscaster say Baragon did it?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Unless they say the same in the Japanese dub, it was probably a translation error.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:Unless they say the same in the Japanese dub, it was probably a translation error.
They do, I checked.

Is he sure he isn't mixing it up with the Baragon Mechagodzilla fiasco? That was where Baragon was never planned but people assumed he was meant to be there. I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that during the filing of DAM the Baragon suit was loaned to Tsubaraya who altered it a lot and as a result it got damaged. That's why he only appears as a prop briefly or in the background,
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Well the storyboards for the film show Gorosaurus attacking Paris and even burrowing up out of the ground so it's safe to assume the Baragon was never intended to be the kaiju sent to Paris
Really? I've never heard that. Are there any photos of the storyboards that you could share? I'd be curious to see those storyboards.
-Thanks
It's mentioned in the audio commentary on the media blasters Destroy all Monsters bluray. I'll rewatch it and post the full quote later this week.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Give me the timestamp if possible. Not that I don't trust you but I own the DVD and I'm curious about this as well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

It's mentioned in the audio commentary on the media blasters Destroy all Monsters bluray.
Ah yes, the same group who were convinced that in Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster, Haru Nakajima played both Godzilla and Rodan while a third actor was stuffed inside the Mothra prop like a giant sleeping bag.

Here's the scoop:
Baragon's suit was lent to Tsuburaya Productions for two years. Was used as Pagos, Neronga, Magura and Gabora. It was kept at the studio warehouse for quite some time, they even planned to have Pagos come back in 1967's UltraSeven. DAM was being made. Toho asked for the suit back. It was heavily worn, like, remember the Godzilla suit from 1972? Picture that, but worse.

Now, let's look at the options: devote screen time to a suit that was so badly damaged that the butt of it opened to reveal the suit actor's butt, or use the nice, basically new suit from King Kong Escapes?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Give me the timestamp if possible. Not that I don't trust you but I own the DVD and I'm curious about this as well.
It's mentioned around the time Gorosaurus appears on Paris
Ah yes, the same group who were convinced that in Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster, Haru Nakajima played both Godzilla and Rodan while a third actor was stuffed inside the Mothra prop like a giant sleeping bag.
And when did they ever say that? If the suit was truly trashed that bad how come they used it for that one shot at the end of the movie? It sounds pretty much unusable the way you describe it

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Here's some really bad footage of Gorosaurus from Go Greenman:
http://youtu.be/-iq_ITwQ6xc
I kept telling him to lay off the meth and try to slow down on the booze. He didn't listen to me. I even staged an intervention with a pretty big group of his friends, to no avail. He kicked a lot of things in his time, but he couldn't kick his addiction. And now you know why he hasn't been seen since the 70s.

The moral of the story is don't do drugs, kids. Gorosaurus did and just

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

And when did they ever say that? If the suit was truly trashed that bad how come they used it for that one shot at the end of the movie? It sounds pretty much unusable the way you describe it
They patched up the major damage, made a quick new head that couldn't move it's eyes or ears, and repainted as much as they could. Baragon still comes off as brighter in promotional shots, and they probably stuffed the suit so that the actor fit more, unlike when the suit was used for Gabora, where it was lose as all hell. And the audio commentary in Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster. "You may not know it, but there's an actor in side the Mothra suit right now." "Tsuburaya super imposed trees onto the screen to cover up the edge of a pool" which wasn't the case, Tsuburaya put those trees there cause Godzilla was coming out of a lake not the ocean. "Haru Nakajima is actually pulling double duty here, playing BOTH Godzilla and Rodan". Wrong again.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

KaijuFiend wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Here's some really bad footage of Gorosaurus from Go Greenman:
http://youtu.be/-iq_ITwQ6xc
I kept telling him to lay off the meth and try to slow down on the booze. He didn't listen to me. I even staged an intervention with a pretty big group of his friends, to no avail. He kicked a lot of things in his time, but he couldn't kick his addiction. And now you know why he hasn't been seen since the 70s.

The moral of the story is don't do drugs, kids. Gorosaurus did and just
http://i.imgur.com/X1ipSqC.jpg

This message has been paid for by Kaiju Against Drugs. Call KAD if you know or suspect a kaiju is using drugs.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

edgaguirus wrote:I thought that Gorosaurus appeared because the Baragon suit was being used for another project at the time. If he was intended for the scene, why does the newscaster say Baragon did it?
Possibly because the live action and special effects crews weren't on the same page.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
They patched up the major damage, made a quick new head that couldn't move it's eyes or ears, and repainted as much as they could. Baragon still comes off as brighter in promotional shots, and they probably stuffed the suit so that the actor fit more, unlike when the suit was used for Gabora, where it was lose as all hell. And the audio commentary in Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster. "You may not know it, but there's an actor in side the Mothra suit right now." "Tsuburaya super imposed trees onto the screen to cover up the edge of a pool" which wasn't the case, Tsuburaya put those trees there cause Godzilla was coming out of a lake not the ocean. "Haru Nakajima is actually pulling double duty here, playing BOTH Godzilla and Rodan". Wrong again.
The GTTHM commentary isn't by the same guys who did the DAM one

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

And thank christ for that.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

As generic as he was, i always really liked Gorosaurus

(Fun Fact- until recently, I never even knew he had a barb at the end of his tail)
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
And where did you get this info on the baragon suit

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:As generic as he was, i always really liked Gorosaurus

(Fun Fact- until recently, I never even knew he had a barb at the end of his tail)
http://www.kaijukits.com/library/image/ ... aurus1.jpg
I never knew that either!

And since I've yet to share my opinion on Gorosaurus: I love him. The triangular head, kangaroo kick, and now tail barb, keep him from being just a plain tyrannosaurus. He's one of those classic monsters where simplicity equals charm.