Monster Discussion #X Gorosaurus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Monster Discussion #X Gorosaurus

Post by Legion1979 »

I've heard the information about matting the trees on the edge of the screen in "Ghidrah" from several different sources, not just the audio commentary. I have no doubt that bit of information was true. And you're a dumbass if you really thought he was serious when he said there was a person inside the Mothra prop. No one is that stupid. And as for Nakajima playing Rodan...he did. In 1956.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

KaijuFiend wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:As generic as he was, i always really liked Gorosaurus

(Fun Fact- until recently, I never even knew he had a barb at the end of his tail)
http://www.kaijukits.com/library/image/ ... aurus1.jpg
I never knew that either!

And since I've yet to share my opinion on Gorosaurus: I love him. The triangular head, kangaroo kick, and now tail barb, keep him from being just a plain tyrannosaurus. He's one of those classic monsters where simplicity equals charm.
I personally liked just how strong he was. He managed to knock King Ghidorah down with ease and by himself, something Godzilla even has trouble doing.

Gorosaurus is one of oho's original best creations, IMO. An appealing, yet simple design, a memorable attack, and strength that matched the King Of The Monsters.

I only wish he actually used that barb as an attack...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I see your point. It would be a good weapon, but the kangaroo kick is the more effective tool.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

IIrc Angurius has a tail barb that does nothing in the Showa films. In GFW he also has a tail club which is never used either.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

edgaguirus wrote:I see your point. It would be a good weapon, but the kangaroo kick is the more effective tool.
Oh, without a doubt, that shit brought down King Ghidorah with ease! But none the less, that barb would hurt like hell if it were to puncture a chest or face! ;)
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Everyone forgets Gorosaurus pulled Ghidorah down with his jaws. Something no other Kaiju did with out throwing themselves at the space dragon.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

MechaGodzillaShowa
Samurai

Post by MechaGodzillaShowa »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Everyone forgets Gorosaurus pulled Ghidorah down with his jaws. Something no other Kaiju did with out throwing themselves at the space dragon.
Son of the Gun, you are correct ... I totally forgot about that.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gonna bump this because I had Gorosaurus on my mind. I was thinking about him and what he represents in the fandom. Godzilla has so many minor monsters (Manda, Varan, Gezora, etc...) and I'm curious why people have so much love for Gorosaurus compared to some of the other monsters. He's really just a generic Dino but for some reason I find him cooler than Titanosaurus and some of the other more well known monsters who have films devoted to them. Can anyone think of any possible reasons why this might be?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think, for me, it's how generic yet unique his design is. Sure, he's just an average dinosaur, but he looks...tokusatsu if you get what I'm saying.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I feel like the blueish/greenish, white, and red color scheme work well together to give him personality. And the triangular head that differs pretty greatly from t-rexes and dinosaurs in general. Add in the kangaroo kick, and he just becomes so much more appealing than a "generic dinosaur".

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I like Gorosarus because he's a basic kaiju, but at the same time he's not. He has awesome kick attack which knocked over King Ghidorah, which paved the way to victory for the Earth monsters. He's one of my favorite Showa kaiju.
Resized Image

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Why is he Monster Discussion #X?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

X stands for 10 in Roman numerals. It's probably the 10th topic of this nature.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

edgaguirus wrote:X stands for 10 in Roman numerals. It's probably the 10th topic of this nature.
But in the directory he's listed as #3...?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I guess the person who made the thread didn't know what number he is?
Resized Image

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

NSZ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:In regards to the common misconception of Anguruius replacing Baragon where did that originate? I know it grew a lot due to James Rolfe saying it in one of his reviews but I'm pretty sure it existed before than and I believed it.
Someone probably observed Anguirus' behavior in GvsMG and figured since Baragon got swapped out with Gorosaurus in DAM, he got swiped out in this film as well, and I guess the idea took root and spread because we in the Western fandom didn't really know any better (I mean, we were pretty much falsely led to believe that Baragon was more popular than Anguirus over in Japan).
That, and a monster called King Barugon or something was in the planning stages, but later evolved into King Caesar.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I hope Gorosaurus (or at least something similar to him) would return in Kong: Skull Island.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We do see a dinosaur like creature in the trailer.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Gorosaurus has the most generic Kaiju design, but somehow manages to be a very unique monster that I've always quite liked. Maybe it's the fact that he actually manages to damage King Ghidorah, despite having no special powers like a beam or flight. Heck, he's not even a mutant.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Out of curiousity, how well does Gorosaurus fare with Japanese fans? I know some American favorites don't have much love in Japan, but what about Gorosaurus?