Monster Discussion #X Gorosaurus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Monster Discussion #X Gorosaurus

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not sure if there's ever been one of these for Gorosaurus but the search system sucks.

Anyways opinions on Gorosaurus?
He appeared in two films:
King Kong Escapes
Destroy all Monsters

In King Kong escapes IMO he was the best part of the film. The main antagonist Mechani Kong never really fought King Kong (or at least had a super lame climbing fight). Gorosaurus definitely stood out the most especially with his kick,

I think he was the breakout character of Destroy All Monsters. He's one of the few formerly non Godzilla monsters that has any impact on the final fight and is actually a key player. It was also cool how he destroyed the arch in Paris.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #X Gorosaurus

Post by edgaguirus »

I like Gorosaurus. He was no doubt inspired by the T-Rex from the 33 Kong, but his kick did make him seem more than your common dinosaur. He looks great, too. He did distinguish himself in DAM. For just a giant therapod, he tilted the battle in favor of the Earth kaiju. Gorosaurus deserves some respect.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

AllPowersCombined
Ronin

Post by AllPowersCombined »

He's really nice-looking but he took Baragon's JEEEB. Just like Anguirus later. Good for IDW to correct history (actually I've still got problems with the Paris scene from DAM, it's clearly Gorosaurus but the movie is treating it as Baragon's attack).
I like the guy but we may never see him again.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

AllPowersCombined wrote:He's really nice-looking but he took Baragon's JEEEB. Just like Anguirus later. Good for IDW to correct history (actually I've still got problems with the Paris scene from DAM, it's clearly Gorosaurus but the movie is treating it as Baragon's attack).
That's actually a misconception. Anguirus was involved with the 20th anniversary film before it even became Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.

But anyway, Gorosaurus, easily one of my favorite Showa monsters despite appearing so little. He did so much in so little screen time.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

NSZ wrote:
AllPowersCombined wrote:He's really nice-looking but he took Baragon's JEEEB. Just like Anguirus later. Good for IDW to correct history (actually I've still got problems with the Paris scene from DAM, it's clearly Gorosaurus but the movie is treating it as Baragon's attack).
That's actually a misconception. Anguirus was involved with the 20th anniversary film before it even became Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.

But anyway, Gorosaurus, easily one of my favorite Showa monsters despite appearing so little. He did so much in so little screen time.
I think partially the reason why he's so cool is because he fits nicely alongside the early Ancient Kaiju. Like before Ghidorah all of the Kaiju were really basic looking and didn't have any special abilities really save for Godzilla. Gorosaurus is probably the most generic looking monster other than the octopus but he still shines. I agree with the idea he did so much in the time he had as well.

In regards to the common misconception of Anguruius replacing Baragon where did that originate? I know it grew a lot due to James Rolfe saying it in one of his reviews but I'm pretty sure it existed before than and I believed it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:In regards to the common misconception of Anguruius replacing Baragon where did that originate? I know it grew a lot due to James Rolfe saying it in one of his reviews but I'm pretty sure it existed before than and I believed it.
Someone probably observed Anguirus' behavior in GvsMG and figured since Baragon got swapped out with Gorosaurus in DAM, he got swiped out in this film as well, and I guess the idea took root and spread because we in the Western fandom didn't really know any better (I mean, we were pretty much falsely led to believe that Baragon was more popular than Anguirus over in Japan).
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

AllPowersCombined
Ronin

Post by AllPowersCombined »

NSZ wrote:
Someone probably observed Anguirus' behavior in GvsMG and figured since Baragon got swapped out with Gorosaurus in DAM, he got swiped out in this film as well, and I guess the idea took root and spread because we in the Western fandom didn't really know any better (I mean, we were pretty much falsely led to believe that Baragon was more popular than Anguirus over in Japan).
Pretty much. I didn't even think of James Rolfe. His recap of the Godzilla series is full of errors and it's a pretty poor watch today.
I think I got ahead of myself. Of course Anguirus was the only logical choice for MechaGodzilla's victim. People are used to seeing Baragon as the monster who always gets the short end of the stick. It probably helped that in 1968, "Gorosaurus" took Baragon's role as the underground kaiju and Anguirus of course also displayed such abilities in GvsMG Sort of. We know that even Godzilla spent some time underground before Mothra vs. Godzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

AllPowersCombined wrote:
NSZ wrote:
Pretty much. I didn't even think of James Rolfe. His recap of the Godzilla series is full of errors and it's a pretty poor watch today.
I think I got ahead of myself. Of course Anguirus was the only logical choice for MechaGodzilla's victim. People are used to seeing Baragon as the monster who always gets the short end of the stick. It probably helped that in 1968, "Gorosaurus" took Baragon's role as the underground kaiju and Anguirus of course also displayed such abilities in GvsMG Sort of. We know that even Godzilla spent some time underground before Mothra vs. Godzilla.
Baragon didn't get the short stick as much as people think. In his own movie he was one of the main focuses and had a large screen time. In King Kong escapes Gorosaurus is pretty much just there to have an early fight and show King Kong's strength. Gorosaurus deserved the time in DAM much more than Baragon.
In KKE Gorosaurus is also a badass because even after King Kong beats the shit out of him he bites King Kong randomly when King Kong walks by and resumes the fight not giving up. Gorosaurus never fought Godzilla but he went up against two of Godzilla's strongest enemies: King Ghidorah and King Kong. So even though he's not super strong he's definitely stronger than a lot of other weaker kaiju like Baragon, Anguirus, Manda, Varan etc...

Also as a complete side while his Godzillathon is full of errors I'm glad he did it because I think he introduced Godzilla to a lot of people who weren't familiar with Godzilla otherwise.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

An unlikely monster, who would have guessed that he, a pretty much unknown nobody, would have been a key factor leading to King Ghidorah's death.

Actually glad to see someone be important in killing a big name monster when they them self are not a big name monster. Don't think anyone saw that coming from a monster who just looks like a giant dinosaur and not an abnormal freak like Godzilla or Baragon. Also, nice touch of him and Godzilla looking at each other, roaring after seeing Anggy get curb stomped and then charging Ghidorah. Gave a sense they were talking.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I like Goro. I loved his interaction with the other kaiju in DAM and the suit is really nicely detailed too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Does anyone know why a lot of promotional images for King Kong Escapes has Gorosaurus in the artic? It could have just been false advertising but I'm wondering if originally he was supposed to have greater involvement or something.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The poster shows Gorosaurus in the Arctic just because it looks cool. It was an advertising ploy.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Here's some really bad footage of Gorosaurus from Go Greenman:
http://youtu.be/-iq_ITwQ6xc

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Gorosaurus was definitely a highlight of King Kong Escapes and it's sad that he only had the one scene. It would've been fun to get a battle royale between him and the two Kongs at the end of the film. He was great in Destroy All Monsters too, even being pivotal in taking King Ghidorah out once and for all - If it weren't for his kick, the fight might've gone on a lot longer. I loved his little moment with Godzilla during the fight: "Alright, let's go get this guy!" "Sounds great, let's do it!" It's brief, but it's a nice little moment for the characters. I would've loved a movie where Godzilla and Gorosaurus teamed up against the villain kaiju, like with Anguirus in Godzilla vs. Gigan.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm not sure how the suit would have looked in the 70s, but it looked in good condition in 68. Seeing Gorosaurus later might have been nice, but you know how Toho prefers using more popular and better known monsters.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote:I'm not sure how the suit would have looked in the 70s, but it looked in good condition in 68. Seeing Gorosaurus later might have been nice, but you know how Toho prefers using more popular and better known monsters.
The link I posted two posts prior show how he woulda looked. It's sad honestly.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Gorosaurus is definitely one of my favorite kaiju period. He is so simple but his role in DAM made me love his character so much. In DAM he was the only monster that went physical with KG and was able to knock him down while only taking a knee when shot at by gravity bolts.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Here's some really bad footage of Gorosaurus from Go Greenman:
That is truly heartbreaking to watch :(.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Here's some really bad footage of Gorosaurus from Go Greenman:
Oh man, Gorosaurus hit the booze hard before the 80s.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

He always looked really depressed to me.
"Gorosaurus, the sad dinosaur!"
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I don't know why everyone complains about Baragon needing more screen time... Sure, I understand that Gorosaurus being used for an attack that was treated as Baragon's is confusing and disappointing, but he did have his own film in which he fights Frankenstein, whereas Gorosaurus has a short fight between King Kong and gets to really shine in DaM, but even then, he still has less time than Baragon ever did.
NSZ wrote:That's actually a misconception. Anguirus was involved with the 20th anniversary film before it even became Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.
^^That is very true. For anyone who isn't aware of this already, please refer here: http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... misaki.htm
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!