Monster Discussion #22: Kumonga (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion #22: Kumonga (Showa)

Post by Ivo-goji »

LamangoKaijura wrote:I'm still wondering where the skreeonk the second Kumonga came from in DAM when the first one is clearly burnt to ashes in SoG.
I'd assumed the first one just got better. Slow working regen isn't too far fetched.

In my head, none of the Showa era kaiju ever died for real except Shodaigoji, King Ghidorah in DAM, and Gigan in Zone Fighter. Er, and the female Rodan, and at least three Mothras.

But yeah, it's like how Inferno was totally disintegrated in the season 2 finale of Beast Wars, but then in season 3 he was shown alive and only slightly banged up.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Ivo-goji wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:I'm still wondering where the skreeonk the second Kumonga came from in DAM when the first one is clearly burnt to ashes in SoG.
I'd assumed the first one just got better. Slow working regen isn't too far fetched.

In my head, none of the Showa era kaiju ever died for real except Shodaigoji, King Ghidorah in DAM, and Gigan in Zone Fighter. Er, and the female Rodan, and at least three Mothras.

But yeah, it's like how Inferno was totally disintegrated in the season 2 finale of Beast Wars, but then in season 3 he was shown alive and only slightly banged up.
What about the first Anguirus? Sanda or Gaira?

I'm sorry, getting your body set on fire by not one, but two Radio Active heat beams, burning until you're a crisp and then getting frozen almost instantly doesn't mean you come back.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Same Kumonga.
Godzillian wrote:So according to that book I have the following kaiju are the second of their kind to appear in the Showa Universe on Monster Land. Varan, Godzilla, Baragon, Anguirus, Gorosaurus, and Manda. Mothra and Rodan are considered the 3rd of their kind.
Godzilla

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:

What about the first Anguirus? Sanda or Gaira?

I'm sorry, getting your body set on fire by not one, but two Radio Active heat beams, burning until you're a crisp and then getting frozen almost instantly doesn't mean you come back.
I'd assumed the fist Anguirus slowly regenerated over the decades between Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla vs Gigan. It's not too hard to imagine; Godzilla and Anguirus had already survived atomic explosions.

I hadn't thought about the Frankenstein offspring, but given that they explicitly have advanced regeneration abilities maybe they didn't really die either. Although they reappear after their debut movie so I wouldn't stress that possibility.

Still, given what kaiju can survive, it isn't that weird to suggest Kumonga recovered after Son of Godzilla (although it wouldn't be weird if there was another member of his species around either).
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Nah, Kumonga was dead. Red eyes, on fire, its inner body was onfire at that point. DAM Kumonga is totally different.

And Anguirus having regen isn't a thing Toho's said.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Nah, Kumonga was dead. Red eyes, on fire, its inner body was onfire at that point. DAM Kumonga is totally different.

Your going against the word of Toho?
Godzilla

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

g2vd wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Nah, Kumonga was dead. Red eyes, on fire, its inner body was onfire at that point. DAM Kumonga is totally different.

Toho's still trying to say the DAM Gorosaurus is the same one as KKE's one.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
g2vd wrote:

Toho's still trying to say the DAM Gorosaurus is the same one as KKE's one.
Nope not anymore.
Gorosaurus, the Primeval Monster

An evolved relic species of the Allosaurus, a carnivorous dinosaur from the late Jurassic Period. It moves nimbly and uses its long tail as a springboard to pounce and attack. Its ultimate attack is a two-legged flying kick that can connect from as far as 30 meters away.

Although carnivorous, the Gorosaurus is not savage at heart. The first one discovered on Mondo Island was eventually defeated by King Kong, but another was bred on an isolated island at a safe haven called “Monsterland.” Though manipulated by the Kilaaks to destroy the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, it later joined the army of earth monsters in the fight against King Ghidorah.

Gorosaurus’s model has proven quite popular due to its lifelike realism. Die-cut latex mixed with sawdust was applied to the skin over the entire body to achieve a sense of hardness and mass.
Godzilla

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

This weekend I'll look back at the book and take some pics of where Toho says if a kaiju is either the same or another member of the species. I know that Kumonga is labelled as the same one and the Rodan in the Showa series is considered the third so it's not one of the two from the original film.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Toho wanted DAM to be the ultimate kaijufest, so they just put all the monsters they could together. I doubt it mattered if any of them died. They wanted plenty of monsters, and they made it happen.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Godzillian wrote:This weekend I'll look back at the book and take some pics of where Toho says if a kaiju is either the same or another member of the species. I know that Kumonga is labelled as the same one and the Rodan in the Showa series is considered the third so it's not one of the two from the original film.
Any updates?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.