Marvel Godzilla's height question

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

Marvel Godzilla's height question

Post by American Godzilla »

Although I've never read the Marvel comics that featured Godzilla, I have heard of him. Interestingly, the current Toho Monster Icon uses this version of Godzilla http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... dzilla.png

... anyway, I've also heard info that claims this Godzilla is/near a massive 184 meter tall monster! This Marvel Godzilla comic http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... ol_1_2.jpg shows him next to the Seattle Space Needle which is 184 meters tall.

Now I do know that comic book covers (from time to time) tend to show a scene not depicted in the book. So I ask anyone who's read these comic books, just how tall is the Marvel Godzilla?
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

Zillamon51
GPN Volunteer

Re: Marvel Godzilla's height question

Post by Zillamon51 »

As for Marvel Godzilla, I believe one of the official Marvel guidebooks (that have the stats for all the characters) published in the '80s included Godzilla. That should have his "official" size, but the only thing consistent about the canon of comic books is their inconsistency. Someone here who has that could scan / post it. I have all the Marvel Godzillas (and a B&W compilation published by another company), but not the guidebooks or the Iron Man books that supposedly wrap up G's Marvel run.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla's height fluctuates pretty wildly in the Marvel comics.

Additionally the current Godzilla licensing icon is actually the 1962 suit. They dropped the Marvel version a couple years ago.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Marvel Godzilla gets even bigger than the Space Needle scene, believe it or not:

Resized Image

The Golden Gate bridge itself is 227 meters tall (746 feet) while the bay below it is 109 meters (360 feet) deep, making Marvel Goji 336 meters (1,106 feet) tall if we're going by this scene.

Marvel Goji size chart I made:

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla
Super Saurian

Post by SuperSaiyan4Godzilla »

Odds are he's the size of the Godzilla at the time: Showa Godzilla.

Comic books are often inconsistent when it comes to the art in the books and the official stats. Using size comparisons between Godzilla and his surroundings is a bad way to go about it.
"But, I that am not shap'd for sportive trick nor made to court an amorous looking glass. I that am rudely stamp'd and want love's majesty to strut before and wanton, ambling nymph."

Click here to join the Official TK Forums Facebook Group!

MothraFreak's boyfriend.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Yup I have collected all of them in my youth and still have them. Ask me anything.

I believe the artist just exaggerates Godzilla's true Showa height. This is the first Godzilla ever depicted on American shores so unless the artists visited Japan, they have no reference of the Japanese Godzilla to compare his height. But that's me thinking.

Godzilla even fought a Sasquatch in the Grand Canyon and it looked like two monsters fighting in a roadside ditch. The Fantastic Four tried to shrink him to lessen the threat but it wore off in two issues and he started growing again nonstop.

Red Ronin was a Jäger that was built to kill Godzilla but the pilot later befriended Goji and they were fighting together against a mob of monsters later before the finale issue.

Its good original kaiju action from Marvel. SHEILD is the military for this Godzilla but it feels like supporting cast because the comics can do without them.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

So I tried to make a scale for the Godzillas (and Zilla); I used this as a extremely loose guideline for Marvel Godzilla and the building scale is from Exploredia (so I don't own it :p)
Resized Image
As a key:
Light Grey - Showa (50 metres/164 feet)
Dark Grey - Millenium (55 metres/180 feet)
Dull Orange - Zilla (60 metres/196 feet)
Dark Green - Heisei (100 metres/328 feet) *using the more common estimate here. 80 meters is just about a head taller than Zilla, so I felt I didn't quite need to put two Heisei Godzillas*
Dark Burgundy - Legendary (108 metres/354 feet)
Light Green - Marvel (300 metres/984 feet) *very rough estimate*

How accurate would this be?
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Jiragozira14 wrote:So I tried to make a scale for the Godzillas (and Zilla); I used this as a extremely loose guideline for Marvel Godzilla and the building scale is from Exploredia (so I don't own it :p)
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/ ... 88ptwc.png
As a key:
Light Grey - Showa (50 metres/164 feet)
Dark Grey - Millenium (55 metres/180 feet)
Dull Orange - Zilla (60 metres/196 feet)
Dark Green - Heisei (100 metres/328 feet) *using the more common estimate here. 80 meters is just about a head taller than Zilla, so I felt I didn't quite need to put two Heisei Godzillas*
Dark Burgundy - Legendary (108 metres/354 feet)
Light Green - Marvel (300 metres/984 feet) *very rough estimate*

How accurate would this be?
Fairly accurate, although Millennium Goji should be only like a hair or two taller than Showa Goji. (He's like 70 meters here) And Marvel Goji should be around 35 to 40 meters taller to fit the Golden Gate Bridge scenes. Legendary Goji is off by two meters and Zilla is scaled to 80 meters instead of 60 meters.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

Is Marvel Godzilla supposed to be Showa Godzilla?

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

Jiragozira14 wrote:So I tried to make a scale for the Godzillas (and Zilla); I used this as a extremely loose guideline for Marvel Godzilla and the building scale is from Exploredia (so I don't own it :p)
How exactly do you gather his height from a head shot? Not entirely criticizing, but I'm curious as to your method.

The main issue is that not only does Marvel Godzilla's height fluctuate, it does so to an incredible degree. As SuperSaiyan4Godzilla mentioned, he's most likely supposed to represent the Showa Godzilla, as that is the incarnation that existed when the comics were created, but as the artists likely lacked the knowledge of Godzilla's height, they merely made him as large as he needs to be in any given scene.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Seeing as how Godzilla's one time foe, later ally, Red Ronin(http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/redroninrobot.htm) is listed at 102 feet and four inches. So when the two were together in the mag, Godzilla was shown to be at least a head taller than Ronin, so I'm guessing the Marvel take on the King of the Monsters was probably 120, 130 feet tall by my rough estimates.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Fighing On Fuji
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fighing On Fuji »

Also in that chart, Legendary Goji is standing up too straight. He needs to be more hunched over while still reaching the same size mark.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:Is Marvel Godzilla supposed to be Showa Godzilla?
It's hinted at, but they don't mention any of his past fights with like, Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
It's hinted at, but they don't mention any of his past fights with like, Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla.
In this comic series, Godzilla was awoken by the hydrogen bomb as he laid dormant within an ice berg. So I think it continues after Godzilla Raids Again.

The One and Only
Futurian

ILL GREEN wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:
In this comic series, Godzilla was awoken by the hydrogen bomb as he laid dormant within an ice berg. So I think it continues after Godzilla Raids Again.
Actually, in the Marvel Comic, Godzilla was first awoken in the mag by a hydrogen bomb test in 1956. He rampaged off on and on through Japan, but through unknown means, ended up getting locked up in the block of ice. Then due to a rather mild winter, it broke off ,and drifted to Alaska where Godzilla busted loose, and started his Marvel tour.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

ILL GREEN wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:
Actually, in the Marvel Comic, Godzilla was first awoken in the mag by a hydrogen bomb test in 1956. He rampaged off on and on through Japan, but through unknown means, ended up getting locked up in the block of ice. Then due to a rather mild winter, it broke off ,and drifted to Alaska where Godzilla busted loose, and started his Marvel tour.
Yeah, they know OF him, and sometimes mention him fighting other monsters, that's about as far as the hints go. If they had the rights to say, Rodan, I'm sure they'd make the connections.

Also, Marvel Godzilla was so badass he off-panel gave Galactus a beat down.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The One and Only wrote:Seeing as how Godzilla's one time foe, later ally, Red Ronin(http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/redroninrobot.htm) is listed at 102 feet and four inches. So when the two were together in the mag, Godzilla was shown to be at least a head taller than Ronin, so I'm guessing the Marvel take on the King of the Monsters was probably 120, 130 feet tall by my rough estimates.
Yep 50 meters is good.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I thought Marvel was 400 feet tall seeing as the books on him back then only had Godzilla King of the monsters to state his height in America back then. The only other time a height was mentioned in a English dub was Godzilla vs. Gigan when the Godzilla tower height is mentioned and that was done in passing.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Like I said, it's changes drastically through out the run. One minute he's TOWERING over the golden gate bridge, like, more so then Tresspasser and Legendary Goji. It comes up to his knee. Then in another panel, he's big enough to view into J. Jonah Jameson's office with out craning his neck.

The One and Only
Futurian

LamangoKaijura wrote:Like I said, it's changes drastically through out the run. One minute he's TOWERING over the golden gate bridge, like, more so then Tresspasser and Legendary Goji. It comes up to his knee. Then in another panel, he's big enough to view into J. Jonah Jameson's office with out craning his neck.
I always blamed Herb Trimpe(Sorry.) who seemed to never settle on a height for the King of the Monsters during his Marvel Tour. Although the Dark Horse artists seemd to have the same problems where the Big-G was picking out skyscrapers out between his toes.