Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Shhh! The Octopus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:35 am

A few more.

I have no idea what the record is about.

I have no idea what a "Telop" is.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Samurai

Postby HedorahIsBestGirl » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:29 pm

I watched the Japanese version for the first time today and it's so much better than the US dubbed version that I grew up with. I've always regarded KKvG as one of my least favorite Godzilla films, but not any more. It's still not one of my absolute favorites, but I have a much greater appreciation for the movie now. I'd always heard that the US cut was butchered to pieces, but good lord... I thought they just cut a couple minutes out and threw in those annoying scenes with the American reporter. I didn't realize that half the goddamn scenes featuring the cast had been cut, trimming the movie down to pretty much just the monsters and anything directly pertaining to them. And while the original score isn't Ifukube's best, it's still a million times better than hearing the Creature From the Black Lagoon theme play while Godzilla and Kong fight.

I can now safely say that KKvG is a good film, which I've never said before. Not on par with Gojira or Mothra vs. Godzilla, but definitely in the upper half of the series, were I to go rank them all again. The US version, meanwhile, ranks right down at the bottom of the barrel with Emmerich's abortion, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Gigantis and the anime trilogy. I honestly think the US version of KKvG is as bad if not worse than Gigantis. The dubbing itself isn't horrible like it was in Gigantis, but the re-editing of the movie and the godawful new scenes make it a much, much, much less enjoyable viewing experience than the original cut.

Also, it's been said by many others, but Mr. Tako is a skreeonking gem and its a shame that Ichiro Arishima never stole the scene in another kaiju movie.

ReiwaGodzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ReiwaGodzilla » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:11 am

I love this movie, good humans, good soundtrack, good monsters, good and memorable scenes, good fight scenes, good message... the only thing i disliked a bit, was the convenient storm and the Giant Octopus scene, which the humans are attacking him, the effects aren't great, but since the movie is old, I'll ignore that.

I wish there was more Godzilla movies like that, it's so much fun, in my opinion, the humans in this movies are better or equal to the first movie.

ReiwaGodzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ReiwaGodzilla » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:19 am

Also, i love how Godzilla behaves in the movie, i love how he looks and i love how the movie treats him too, it's one of best Godzillas I've seen.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:38 pm

ReiwaGodzilla wrote:Also, i love how Godzilla behaves in the movie, i love how he looks and i love how the movie treats him too, it's one of best Godzillas I've seen.

Yeah, this was one of the definitive versions of Godzilla himself for me as a kid. I love how, in what is largely such a comical movie, they still treat Godzilla very seriously, and it doesn't seem jarring at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ReiwaGodzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ReiwaGodzilla » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:18 pm

eabaker wrote:
ReiwaGodzilla wrote:Also, i love how Godzilla behaves in the movie, i love how he looks and i love how the movie treats him too, it's one of best Godzillas I've seen.

Yeah, this was one of the definitive versions of Godzilla himself for me as a kid. I love how, in what is largely such a comical movie, they still treat Godzilla very seriously, and it doesn't seem jarring at all.

Oh, yes, i love the part where that kid says he wants to see Godzilla lol

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:38 am

ReiwaGodzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:

That scene serves to emphasis how the film is a parody of itself, ie bringing together two iconic monsters. More specifically the film is divided into two segments, with Kong’s “leads”(Tako and the explorers, being more comedic, in contrast to Godzilla’s narrative which is darker). The American cut guts a lot of this unfortunately.

However it also cuts a lot of scenes that make Godzilla more seriously. Mainly early on there’s a scene in the Japanese cut where one of the characters boards a naval boat to search for Godzilla. The boat goes missing later, only for the female character to worry sick and head to look for him as one of the survivors. He shows up later in front of the apartment (this is where the eggs drop). The scene is almost incomprehensible in the American cut.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

ReiwaGodzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ReiwaGodzilla » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:24 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
ReiwaGodzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:

That scene serves to emphasis how the film is a parody of itself, ie bringing together two iconic monsters. More specifically the film is divided into two segments, with Kong’s “leads”(Tako and the explorers, being more comedic, in contrast to Godzilla’s narrative which is darker). The American cut guts a lot of this unfortunately.

However it also cuts a lot of scenes that make Godzilla more seriously. Mainly early on there’s a scene in the Japanese cut where one of the characters boards a naval boat to search for Godzilla. The boat goes missing later, only for the female character to worry sick and head to look for him as one of the survivors. He shows up later in front of the apartment (this is where the eggs drop). The scene is almost incomprehensible in the American cut.

Oh, yes, i love that fact that it's a parody of itself. It's really disappointing that they cutted a lot of content that makes Godzilla more seriously, i hope they didn't cut that line of dialogue that says something like King Kong is just a normal animal, while Godzilla is a monster, that's easily one of my favorite lines of dialogue from Godzilla movies

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:53 am

ReiwaGodzilla wrote:i hope they didn't cut that line of dialogue that says something like King Kong is just a normal animal, while Godzilla is a monster, that's easily one of my favorite lines of dialogue from Godzilla movies

This is not actually a real line. It's a fabrication from the '90s bootleg subtitles. The Japanese line is more or less the same as what Dr. Johnson says in the U.S. version:

TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”