Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Postby Billzilla1974 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:59 pm

This film is ok in my book, I still despise the moment when the American "scientist" says Godzilla has an impossibly small brain, although I wish Toho had the mind and budget to show the "Fossils in Japan that resemble Godzilla" during the Showa Era, I know the American "scientist" from the dub said it but still, it would've been cool to see.
Somehow I couldn't care less about what some people call "bad dubbing" I just can't see that many instances of it.
The King Kong suit is bad, but I find the 66 one to look worse, the 62 suit does what it's supposed to do: portray a mighty ape like creature, not a 25/50/150 foot gorilla.
The Godzilla suit is good, I don't like the eyes and the general fatness of the suit, but the face looks appropriately dinosaur-like, and the spines are in the iconic pattern that would remain for most of the original series.
This film delivers what it promises, King Kong duking it out with Godzilla, even if its not the greatest G film, it was a good comeback from 1955 that opened the door for the rest of the Godzilla Showa Era.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!
King K.Rool main.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:24 am

GalacticPetey wrote:The whole iceberg sequence is firmly ingrained in my mind

Always loved this music

scottzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby scottzilla » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:45 pm

I watched this last night with my daughter and got so annoyed at all the stupid UN cut ins, now I realize they were added in later. I skipped over them because they're so gotdamn annoying and took forever.

Kong looks absolutely atrocious and Godzilla looks so stupid flailing his arms all the time, but the fight scenes are really fun to watch. I just can't take it seriously with how stupid they look, i'm sorry haha

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:52 pm

scottzilla wrote:I just can't take it seriously

Convenient, then, that you're not supposed to take most of it seriously. With the exception of the Godzilla b-plot (because Kong is very much the a-plot until the two finally come together), the emphasis is on pretty broad comedy/satire, although the American cut does sometimes obscure this intent.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

scottzilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby scottzilla » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:56 pm

^ That's fair. I got the impression from all the cut ins that they were trying to make it something it wasn't.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:41 pm

I just want the uncut Japanese version on dvd, the American version sucks.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Out of curiosity how many people on this site have seen the uncut Japanese version? I'm not trying to be snobby here, but I realized that there isn't an official release here for the original cut and even then still it's hard to come by.

The Japanese original is way better, there's no bullshit about Godzilla being dumb and the characters are better developed. There's some added snippets of Godzilla and Kong and in addition there's some completely removed scenes that enhance the threat of Godzilla.

I have and i disagree, solely because of the soundtrack
For example, when the octopus attacks and Kong explodes out of the water after getting blown up, those scenes play way better in the English dub with the added Creature score.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:38 am

Check out this old pic from 1977. Its from the re-release of King Kong vs Godzilla. You have actors in Godzilla and King Kong suits handing out pamphlets. That Godzilla suit was the same one used 2 years earlier in Terror of Mechagodzilla. That "King Kong" suit looks like something you would see at a used car dealership sale promo.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am

That is an insult to used car dealerships. They would never be caught dead with that thing. :)

(EDIT: Actually, it kinda look like a Yeti from the Troughton years of Doctor Who...)
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira-Fan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:16 pm

This is a film I would say is good, but not great. However, it is also a super important film for setting the tone of the series going forward. This is the first time we are really to regard the monsters as silly (due to slapstick antics) as well as being human-like (in terms of the performances of the suit actor). This anthropomorphising of the monsters would continue for the majority of the Showa series.

The human scenes are decent as well. However, a lot of other Showa films surpass it in that area.

I can also actually tolerate the American version, surprisingly enough.

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:19 am

Finally got to see the Japanese version of this, and MAN what an improvement over the American version.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 am

Maritonic wrote:Finally got to see the Japanese version of this, and MAN what an improvement over the American version.

Absolutely. The lack of incredibly dry exposition makes a huge difference. Though I miss the strange pronunciation of 'Tarzan.' :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 am

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Finally got to see the Japanese version of this, and MAN what an improvement over the American version.

Absolutely. The lack of incredibly dry exposition makes a huge difference. Though I miss the strange pronunciation of 'Tarzan.' :)

I found the most impactful change was the score. What a difference it makes, not having that (lovingly annoying) Creature From the Black Lagoon theme pop up every few moments. I LOVED the score for this film.

But I will agree with you about the "Tarzan" bit haha.
Resized Image

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 am

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:

I found the most impactful change was the score. What a difference it makes, not having that (lovingly annoying) Creature From the Black Lagoon theme pop up every few moments. I LOVED the score for this film.

The score works much better, the pace works much better, and by and large the comedy feels more purposeful.

Other than, obviously, "Tarz'n," the thing I like about the American version is the way that the submarine scenes are re-structured; there's more tension to the way they play in the U.S. cut. But, overall, the Japanese version is far superior.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:49 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:

The score works much better, the pace works much better, and by and large the comedy feels more purposeful.

Other than, obviously, "Tarz'n," the thing I like about the American version is the way that the submarine scenes are re-structured; there's more tension to the way they play in the U.S. cut. But, overall, the Japanese version is far superior.

It truly is far superior. I'm glad I finally got to see it. I'll agree with you about the American cut of the Submarine scenes.

I really can't get over the score. I absolutely loved it. I have to find a way to track it down.
Resized Image

mikelcho
Yin-Yang Master

Postby mikelcho » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:01 am

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

It truly is far superior. I'm glad I finally got to see it. I'll agree with you about the American cut of the Submarine scenes.

I really can't get over the score. I absolutely loved it. I have to find a way to track it down.
La-La Land Records released the Japanese score on American CD in 2006.

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm

A very distinct kaiju bootlegger (big in the '90s but not so much now) is responsible for the garbage subtitles on most copies of the Japanese version. The German Blu-Ray release has accurate subs, they're just not English...

Honestly I didn't think much of the Japanese version until I saw the film with accurate subtitles. The jokes are more clever and the exposition makes sense. I think the common English subtitle track is mostly made up or based on the American version.

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:24 am

Terasawa wrote:A very distinct kaiju bootlegger (big in the '90s but not so much now) is responsible for the garbage subtitles on most copies of the Japanese version. The German Blu-Ray release has accurate subs, they're just not English...

Honestly I didn't think much of the Japanese version until I saw the film with accurate subtitles. The jokes are more clever and the exposition makes sense. I think the common English subtitle track is mostly made up or based on the American version.

Just out of curiosity, how are the subtitles garbage?
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master

Postby King of the Monsters » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:24 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Just out of curiosity, how are the subtitles garbage?

I've always heard they're just completely made up at many points and not that accurate to the Japanese dialogue. I still find that they diverge pretty drastically from the dub script, and I personally still prefer watching the Japanese version with bad fansubs than watching the US version.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
Futurian

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Yeah they reportedly just made up lines. You can probably ask SpaceHunterM for more detailed information, they were the first person I saw ever mention it and give an example of it.
"It wouldn't be a true Godzilla film, if you didn't touch upon those things," says Dougherty. "Otherwise you're just making a big dumb giant monster movie. There has to be a sprinkle of it, otherwise you're not being faithful to the original intent of the series. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not a true Godzilla fan."

Il n'y a pas de plus profonde solitude que celle de kinnaisseur si ce n'est celle d'un auteur dans Toho Studios... peut-être...

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”