Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:Universal and Toho seriously need to bargain with one another for a legal release of the original unedited version of the film to be released in North America.
I don't think Universal's really that interested. They don't need to target the fan market, and to them the increase in sales from including the original cut on such a niche title would probably be a meaninglessly small number.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I really hope the when Godzilla Vs Kong comes out someone will be willing to do a release with the original Japanese cut of KKvG and hopefully some commentaries for the collectors market. The current version has been on the market for sometime it would be a good time to do a release and get everyone to buy it again.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

It feels like a better (though equally unlikely) option is just to lobby Toho to start putting quality English subtitles on their releases. At least there, they have a compelling reason to work with the original releases (just not to translate them for us! ;) )
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Zarm wrote: (As it is, I still grind my teeth at the lack of voiceover OR grpahic for the Godzilla-and-Rodan-talking scene in the blu-ray release of vs. Gigan)
You mean Anguirus, not Rodan :P
and frown at the spliced-on English credits for a number of the showa releases).
"Spliced-on"? Which ones are you talking about?
Last edited by Goji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Goji wrote:
Zarm wrote: (As it is, I still grind my teeth at the lack of voiceover OR grpahic for the Godzilla-and-Rodan-talking scene in the blu-ray release of vs. Gigan)
You mean Anguirus, not Rodan :P
and frown at the spliced-on English credits for a number of the showa releases).
"Spliced-on"? Which ones are you talking about?
Ugh- can you tell I was tired when writing this? :) Clearly, I am talking about Rodan- the big, spiky-backed fellow from Godzilla Raids Again. ;)

In terms of credits, just the various releases (vs. Hedorah comas to mind, iirc, and a number of others- most of the showa releases on Blu-ray) that have the international/english credits cut into the movie instead of the japanese originals. Unless they just happened to only do so for stories with abbreviated credits in the first place, a number of them seem like they're omitting some of the music or sequences (or at least imagery) that came along with the original credits (though not having seen the originals, I don't know), as the often come off very abrupt and kinda cheap-looking.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I also hate how the Sony & Kraken releases had to have a TM or (R) next to the names. It's a bit of an eyesore.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Universal and Toho seriously need to bargain with one another for a legal release of the original unedited version of the film to be released in North America.
I don't think Universal's really that interested. They don't need to target the fan market, and to them the increase in sales from including the original cut on such a niche title would probably be a meaninglessly small number.
What if the demand from fans in the west gets bigger?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
What if the demand from fans in the west gets bigger?
I mean, I'm certainly not gonna say it's impossible. My fingers are crossed that in the lead-up to Legendary's GvsKK, Universal may see an increased interest in the original KKvsG and decide to cash in on it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

This is totally the weakest film in the Showa era when it comes to effects scenes. Nearly everything with the Kong props and puppets is pretty bad, and I doubt it was barely passable for the time. Ghidrah has some mediocre puppets and some gaffes every once in a while, but this is the only movie where I do mind the monster effects. The Kong suit is barely passable.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I fucking love the Kong suit. It's unconvincing, but it has a big dumb teddy bear charm for me.

Really, though, I fucking love the classic Bandai vinyl figure of this Kong suit. That thing is bad ass.

There's also kind of a candy-colored aesthetic to parts of the movie that really appeals to me.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:I skreeonking love the Kong suit. It's unconvincing, but it has a big dumb teddy bear charm for me.

Really, though, I skreeonking love the classic Bandai vinyl figure of this Kong suit. That thing is bad ass.

There's also kind of a candy-colored aesthetic to parts of the movie that really appeals to me.
I love the suit too! Second favorite Kong design imo.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:This is totally the weakest film in the Showa era when it comes to effects scenes. Nearly everything with the Kong props and puppets is pretty bad, and I doubt it was barely passable for the time. Ghidrah has some mediocre puppets and some gaffes every once in a while, but this is the only movie where I do mind the monster effects. The Kong suit is barely passable.
Thats what happens when you pay for a monster that eats up almost half the budget. :D
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

eabaker wrote:I skreeonking love the Kong suit.
If you saw a coat at the store that was made up of old worn out rugs and pelts of roadkill would you love that too. :P

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

eabaker wrote:I skreeonking love the Kong suit. It's unconvincing, but it has a big dumb teddy bear charm for me.
I share this sentiment. I won't argue that the suit is terrible but I find that's the charm about it. It's so goofy it sort of helps sell the underdog vibe and it makes me root for him all the more.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I still stand by statement, that the scenes with the US sub and Godzilla escaping from the iceberg are among the best in the entire franchise.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I still stand by statement, that the scenes with the US sub and Godzilla escaping from the iceberg are among the best in the entire franchise.
100% agreement (despite the less-than-stellar English-speaking performances). And I love the juxtaposition of the seriousness and tension of those scenes with the goofy comedy of the Kong storyline.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

The whole iceberg sequence is firmly ingrained in my mind. I know I've gushed about this film before and how it was my first exposure to Godzilla outside of the old Hanna Barbera cartoon, but I just love this film. I saw it at a young age and I remember Godzilla's first appearance in the film so vividly. There was a time I could probably quote that whole movie word for word (at least the English version).

I still have yet to see the Japanese cut. I'm sure it's not hard to find online though. It'll be weird seeing it without all the insert scenes though.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

The way the scene climaxes is just fantastic. The quotes are forever ingrained into my mind.

"Captain we're trapped!"

Cue Godzilla roar, and my FAVORITE Godzilla roar at that. Just comes together so perfectly.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

This film is ok in my book, I still despise the moment when the American "scientist" says Godzilla has an impossibly small brain, although I wish Toho had the mind and budget to show the "Fossils in Japan that resemble Godzilla" during the Showa Era, I know the American "scientist" from the dub said it but still, it would've been cool to see.
Somehow I couldn't care less about what some people call "bad dubbing" I just can't see that many instances of it.
The King Kong suit is bad, but I find the 66 one to look worse, the 62 suit does what it's supposed to do: portray a mighty ape like creature, not a 25/50/150 foot gorilla.
The Godzilla suit is good, I don't like the eyes and the general fatness of the suit, but the face looks appropriately dinosaur-like, and the spines are in the iconic pattern that would remain for most of the original series.
This film delivers what it promises, King Kong duking it out with Godzilla, even if its not the greatest G film, it was a good comeback from 1955 that opened the door for the rest of the Godzilla Showa Era.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

GalacticPetey wrote:The whole iceberg sequence is firmly ingrained in my mind
Always loved this music

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

I watched this last night with my daughter and got so annoyed at all the stupid UN cut ins, now I realize they were added in later. I skipped over them because they're so gotdamn annoying and took forever.

Kong looks absolutely atrocious and Godzilla looks so stupid flailing his arms all the time, but the fight scenes are really fun to watch. I just can't take it seriously with how stupid they look, i'm sorry haha