Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by Goji »

Both themes are wonderful, and are equally effective.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Thoughts after the most recent re-watch: it's good if you want to throw something on in the background and half-ignore it. The monster action isn't bad, even if the Kong suit is abysmal. The characters are decent in the Japanese cut, at least, but they suffer from the U.S. trims. Either way, Ichiro Arishima stands out with his effeminate, hammy performance, which may or may not be a good thing.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Mini-Godzilla wrote:Thoughts after the most recent re-watch: it's good if you want to throw something on in the background and half-ignore it. The monster action isn't bad, even if the Kong suit is abysmal. The characters are decent in the Japanese cut, at least, but they suffer from the U.S. trims. Either way, Ichiro Arishima stands out with his effeminate, hammy performance, which may or may not be a good thing.
Really? I'm always quite enthralled by this one. It makes good background noise too, but it's so charming, even in the U.S. cut, that I have no problem seeing it through with full attention.

I think it's a slightly inferior film to Mothra vs., and part of that is its aiming more for pure spectacle, but I find myself enjoying it more on rewatches.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

A rather nice Thanksgiving write up from David Kalat for KKvsG:

GIVING THANKS FOR KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (YOU’RE WELCOME)
http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/11/28/giv ... e-welcome/
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Rodan wrote:
Mini-Godzilla wrote:Thoughts after the most recent re-watch: it's good if you want to throw something on in the background and half-ignore it. The monster action isn't bad, even if the Kong suit is abysmal. The characters are decent in the Japanese cut, at least, but they suffer from the U.S. trims. Either way, Ichiro Arishima stands out with his effeminate, hammy performance, which may or may not be a good thing.
Really? I'm always quite enthralled by this one. It makes good background noise too, but it's so charming, even in the U.S. cut, that I have no problem seeing it through with full attention.

I think it's a slightly inferior film to Mothra vs., and part of that is its aiming more for pure spectacle, but I find myself enjoying it more on rewatches.

And that's mainly why the movie is so rewatchable. It aims for fun-value and it succeeds at that. It isn't that much of a masterpiece in terms and comparison to other entries but it still delivers.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

My biggest problem with the Japanese version is that because it's a parody/satire on kaiju eiga I feel like some of the humor is lost in translation. Comedies just generally don't travel well outside of their home countries and for every joke that lands there are a few more that just fall flat for me. It's a fun film, but I've never enjoyed it as much as Honda's other films from this time period. I guess I'm just more used to his more serious style.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I have only seen the 'american' version and it is amusing every time. Since the Japanese, I heard, has those elements you mentioned I could see why it didn't do as good to have comedy in it.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I think it doesn't really help that the most widely dispersed subtitles for this film (from VDK's release) aren't an actual translation at all, most of the time. Evidently VDK at the time had someone who didn't know any more than a very basic knowledge of Japanese because a lot of the dialog is totally made-up, and in a few cases flat-out nonsense even in English. I've translated some of the dialog myself and it is pretty funny and translates fairly well. The pun with Tako's name is a little hard to translate though (his name means octopus and this is noted during the octopus attack).

I'm sure Toho wanted their big east-meets-west crossover monster epic to export easily and sell well, like all their previous genre films did, so they would've been crazy to fill it with untranslatable humor. I've never believed the claim that Toho created all of their genre movies with only a domestic audience in mind. You don't find yourself involved in an extremely lucrative business (exporting SFX spectacles and "art" films) and then refuse to appeal to the audience that makes up most of your customers, that's stupid. The moment you set up international offices to attract your films to international buyers, submit your films to international film festivals and then brag about the awards your films won at said festivals in English brochures, all the while pre-selling genre films to US companies and continuing to produce said genre films partially due to their success abroad, you begin to care what international audiences think.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Well, it was a START for Toho in that regard, so this one can be excused, right?

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Tamura wrote:I think it doesn't really help that the most widely dispersed subtitles for this film (from VDK's release) aren't an actual translation at all, most of the time. Evidently VDK at the time had someone who didn't know any more than a very basic knowledge of Japanese because a lot of the dialog is totally made-up, and in a few cases flat-out nonsense even in English. I've translated some of the dialog myself and it is pretty funny and translates fairly well. The pun with Tako's name is a little hard to translate though (his name means octopus and this is noted during the octopus attack).
Or in some cases spelling. Pharaoh island? Huh?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Sad MST3K never got ahold of this. It's ripe for their riffing.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Sad MST3K never got ahold of this. It's ripe for their riffing.
This, GRA, and SoG :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^Hey, Minya and the Godzilla suit aside, I'd argue SoG was one of the better Showa movies.

The only copy of the Japanese version of KKvG that I own is one I managed to download off the internet when I got lucky one day. It has subtitles, but I have no idea how accurate they are. At least I don't remember there being any "Pharaoh Island".
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:^Hey, Minya and the Godzilla suit aside, I'd argue SoG was one of the better Showa movies.

The only copy of the Japanese version of KKvG that I own is one I managed to download off the internet when I got lucky one day. It has subtitles, but I have no idea how accurate they are. At least I don't remember there being any "Pharaoh Island".
Oh I'll agree with you there, I love SoG, including Godzilla and the Minya suit

And I own the Japanese version, it says "Pharaoh"
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Their suits are endearing after some time, it is just the first impression of both and you see them at first.

:P

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Sad MST3K never got ahold of this. It's ripe for their riffing.
Thank god they didn't.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

As well as GVKG oh man, that would be hilarious or actually any Heisei film post 89 lol.
Godzilla

bugmolly
Monsterland Worker

Post by bugmolly »

I just watched this movie on saturday, and it reminded me why as a kid i hated monkeys, they should never win against Godzilla that said the movie was overall fun to watch and much better than i remember

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I don't remember seeing any monkeys in this movie..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

bugmolly
Monsterland Worker

Post by bugmolly »

I used monkey in a very broad sence including apes and great apes