Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by Omegazilla »

Eh there was nothing to really suggest that in Gojira. The planes seemed to irritate him more than anything else. Although that leads me to what this movie COULD have been with King Kong's electric powers and that was the initial concept of King Kong Vs. Frankenstein. While that was... an odd concept to say the least I would have liked to see it, although I doubt it would be as entertaining as King Kong Vs. Godzilla. I am guessing the electric powers came from Frankenstein rather than Kong if this idea actually came to be especially since electricity is associated with Frankenstein thanks to the Universal adaption. Even though this film isn't a favorite of mine I actually kinda like it even though I don't like the bare concept. Like I said it doesn't take itself too seriously in the end so I don't think the viewer should either. It is kinda neat to watch this movie though with the context that Frankenstein was supposed to be in Godzilla's place though. You kinda see it in a new light afterwards.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think you're both right. Showa Godzilla was shown to have a weakness to electricity, just not in the first film. He tore through the 50,000 volt with no problem, but the one million volt barrier in this film was enough to repel him. The huge increase in voltage is credible as a weakness but it's definitely a plot hole that Godzilla just didn't burn down the towers like he did in 1954. I think the 30 million volt trap in Mothra vs. Godzilla was probably the closest the SDF came to killing Godzilla by conventional means.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Omegazilla wrote:Even though this movie did have some entertaining scenes I was always very critical of putting these two monsters in the same movie unironically.
It's not done unironically, though. KKvsG is a work of camp in which the main storyline directly comments on the absurdity of the movie's own premise.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

eabaker wrote:
Omegazilla wrote:Even though this movie did have some entertaining scenes I was always very critical of putting these two monsters in the same movie unironically.
It's not done unironically, though. KKvsG is a work of camp in which the main storyline directly comments on the absurdity of the movie's own premise.
Really? How so? It's not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen the subbed Japanese version in years so my memory is kind of fuzzy on this. However like I said the campiness is one of the reasons I actually kind of enjoy this movie. It strikes a good balance of being campy without going full on kid friendly like later on in the series.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Omegazilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Really? How so? It's not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen the subbed Japanese version in years so my memory is kind of fuzzy on this. However like I said the campiness is one of the reasons I actually kind of enjoy this movie. It strikes a good balance of being campy without going full on kid friendly like later on in the series.
Consider it this way: the entire story is set in motion by a greedy executive thinking that it's a good idea, despite all available evidence, to bring King Kong to Japan. The whole thing is a takedown of stupid, tasteless marketing, and the end result of all that stupidity and tastelessness is the idea of pitting King Kong and Godzilla against each other.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

There`s even a line, that most likely wasn`t present in the dub, that indicates that a Godzilla movie is being made in universe of the film. Mr. Tako hears this and is upset that his science and news programs are being overshadowed.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^Yeah that line wasn’t in the dubbed version, and I’m not sure if it was very clear in the more popular subtitle script either.

One of Tako’s staffers asks which monster would win in a fight (sounds like a lot of people here), and another says the idea is stupid because it’s not a wrestling match. Tako overhears this and loves the idea, eventually proposing a meeting of the two monsters purely for promotional purposes.

This is one of Sekizawa’s best screenplays.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:I think you're both right. Showa Godzilla was shown to have a weakness to electricity, just not in the first film. He tore through the 50,000 volt with no problem, but the one million volt barrier in this film was enough to repel him. The huge increase in voltage is credible as a weakness but it's definitely a plot hole that Godzilla just didn't burn down the towers like he did in 1954. I think the 30 million volt trap in Mothra vs. Godzilla was probably the closest the SDF came to killing Godzilla by conventional means.
And then they got overconfident and increased the voltage...

We all know what happened then.

They finally ended up really doing it with Super Mechagodzilla, but that's another story...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Though that electric charge was directly applied to a target area, rather than the overall body.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

I think it's safe to presume King Kong's body acts as a good conductor of electricity, and so his body multiplies the volts of electricity to the trillions.
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wouldn't be shocked if that were true.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I have no idea how many times I've seen this movie, but somehow a couple of minutes ago was the first time I ever noticed the little animated characters moving around on top of Kong helping to prep him for his balloon ride!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

eabaker wrote:I have no idea how many times I've seen this movie, but somehow a couple of minutes ago was the first time I ever noticed the little animated characters moving around on top of Kong helping to prep him for his balloon ride!
I recall the exact shot, it’s a really nice detail
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I love this movie to death...only thing from it getting a perfect score is Kong,he looks like Jay Jay the Jet Plane :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Oh yeah? Well I like this movie unironically :P
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Orichalcum wrote:Oh yeah? Well I like this movie unironically :P
But i just said i loved it....

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:Oh yeah? Well I like this movie unironically :P
But i just said i loved it....
I wasn't making a jab at you :P

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

One thing that always really bothered me, in a film about giant apes, is how they constructed the raft for Kong and got him on it....
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

They used the Carl Denham 'offscreen magic' method.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

They used the inventor's indestructible wire and pulled him onto the raft :P