Which Showa suit would you replace the rest with?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which Showa suit would you replace the rest with?

ShodaiGoji
7%
GyakushuGoji
3%
KingGoji
22%
MosuGoji
47%
DaisensoGoji
5%
MusukoGoji
No votes
SoshingekiGoji
5%
MegaroGoji
11%

Total votes: 74

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Re: Which Showa suit would you replace the rest with?

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Giga Kaiju wrote:I don't think is possible to use ONE suit with the entirerity of the era as each movie has its own message, tone, and 'feel' and doesn't seem like it could like other people have said on the upper posts.
I suppose you're right. Personally, it would look cool to see the KingGoji wipe the floor with King Ghidorah, but he already looked enough like a villain. Too bad Godzilla's antihero days were yet to come...
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If there's one suit that I'd like to, ONLY AS A WHAT IF SITUATION, I'd choose the Kingu-Goji suit (the 62 one) looks reptilian enough, and can be both serious and fun depending of the moment.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

three wrote:hey, also, can we use the year associated with the suit/name and not something like "mesugoji"? i don't mean to be a drag, but i have no sense of japanese and can't attribute these names to their particular movies in most cases without looking them up.
I feel ya there. I've been on this site for a year and a half and am only now getting down which name goes with which suit. Unfortunately, the suit name usage permeates pretty much all discussion on this site, so learning them is necessary.
skuzzy-punk-kid wrote:It doesn't take any level of understanding of the Japanese language to memorize the names of the suits; it simply just comes down to repetition.
It doesn't, but I can see where it would help. Some suit names are obviously self-explanatory, such as KingGoji, but names like GyakushuGoji and DaisensoGoji are confusing when first learning the suit names. An English speaker isn't going to know that gyakushu means counterattack, or that daisenso means great war. Nor are English speakers familiar with the Japanese titles of the films, since we don't use them very often.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

KaijuFiend wrote: It doesn't, but I can see where it would help. Some suit names are obviously self-explanatory, such as KingGoji, but names like GyakushuGoji and DaisensoGoji are confusing when first learning the suit names. An English speaker isn't going to know that gyakushu means counterattack, or that daisenso means great war. Nor are English speakers familiar with the Japanese titles of the films, since we don't use them very often.
Exactly! I forgot the self-explanatory aspect of the suits, but what you said regarding "Gyakushu-" and "Daisenso-," of course the typical anglophone will not know what those words are in themselves without researching them, like what you did. In the case of this three person, it almost sounded like he/she was not willing to do the research. When one researches what those names are, it's initial exposure, and from then on it's repetition (since most won't remember the names from the first encounters).
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Passing by again to say the names of suits might be complicated to learn at first, but once you direct them to their respective appearances and movies, you'll get the hang of it pretty fast. ;)
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Giga Kaiju wrote:Passing by again to say the names of suits might be complicated to learn at first, but once you direct them to their respective appearances and movies, you'll get the hang of it pretty fast. ;)
I admit, even I had trouble remembering the names to the suits, especially the DaisensoGoji and the GyakushuGoji. The ones I was able to remember readily were the KingGoji, the MegaroGoji and the MosuGoji...since King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, and Godzilla vs. Megalon were among the movies I was more familiar with.
It's odd, as I was growing up, the stark differences in the KingGoji and the MegaroGoji (both in appearance and behavior) caused me to believe that there were 2 different Godzillas. I've always wanted to see the two Godzillas battle. I eventually learned they were the same Goji, just at 2 different points in the Showa continuity.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Although MosuGoji(1964) is the best all-around suit, I think DaisensoGoji(1965-66) could fit a wider tonal range of films, so DaisensoGoji gets my vote.
...Although, as others have already commented, no single suit could truly fit the entire Showa era.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Fairly enough, the Showa ones are the most difficult to learn, while the latter ones are the easiest. Just something to know for everyone. ;)

SandaLives
Young Farmer

Post by SandaLives »

I wouldn't pick a Showa suit. I'd pick 84Goji, because I could see him being silly or dark.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

MosuGoji, can't beat that angry, hooded brow look
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

I feel like Megaro-goji would be the most flexible. He has a tough intimidating expression so he could play off as a villain in the early films and yet he can also play the role of titanic superhero as he did in the late 70s. Soshingeki goji would probably be my number 2 for the same reasons.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Dannybeane wrote:I feel like Megaro-goji would be the most flexible. He has a tough intimidating expression so he could play off as a villain in the early films and yet he can also play the role of titanic superhero as he did in the late 70s. Soshingeki goji would probably be my number 2 for the same reasons.
There's nothing intimidating about the Megaro Goji suit…
The modified version they used in Terror of Mechagodzilla is another story… the suit used in 1975 had the perfect good guy/bad guy look to it.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Dannybeane wrote:I feel like Megaro-goji would be the most flexible. He has a tough intimidating expression so he could play off as a villain in the early films and yet he can also play the role of titanic superhero as he did in the late 70s. Soshingeki goji would probably be my number 2 for the same reasons.
There's nothing intimidating about the Megaro Goji suit…
The modified version they used in Terror of Mechagodzilla is another story… the suit used in 1975 had the perfect good guy/bad guy look to it.
Megaro goji is my catchall for the suit used in 73,74, and 75. Small modifications between each film but its the same suit. The TOMG version though is the version I was thinking of when I mentioned it.