The Three Treasures/ The Birth of Japan (1959)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Ookondru99
Yin-Yang Master

The Three Treasures/ The Birth of Japan (1959)

Postby Ookondru99 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:48 am

So I don't know if this topic has already been done...... I tried the search but didn't come up with anything. So a few days ago I saw this movie for the first time (Japanese w/ english subtitles). I was very impressed. I went into this film wanting to see the Showa Orochi in action (which ironically the film didn't have a lot of). I went in expecting more of a monster movie and got a legendary epic IMO similar to stories like gilgamesh and hercules. On of my top 10 movies of all time, as well as one of my favorite toho movies. I haven't heard a lot of talk about it here on TK, so I was wondering what you guys think of this movie?
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

20th Century Boy
EDF Soldier

Re: The Three Treasures/ The Birth of Japan (1959)

Postby 20th Century Boy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:55 pm

I want to see this film so badly. Hopefully Criterion picks it up soon.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Sadly I don't think there will be too many opinions on here because it hasn't been released on Region A1 DVD or Blu, maybe not VHS either. I'd really like to see this though.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Ookondru99
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Ookondru99 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:57 pm

PM me if you want a link
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Creature22
G-Grasper

Postby Creature22 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:36 pm

I'd like to see this film as well... my favorite era of Toho is the 50s era, which I think of as the big "experimental" decade for their special effects. I think that a lot of their best work came during that time. I also like epic movies and I heard that this was a groundbreaking one. I haven't been able to find it anywhere though.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:31 pm

I'm watching this right now and HOLY poop does it look pretty.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:33 pm

I wish I could find a copy of this. The Three Treasures and Gorath are the only two Toho kaiju films I have yet to see.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Postby SoleMan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:27 am

I saw it. I liked it, as a fan of Japan, Japanese history and mythology, toho monster movies, and Toshiro Mifune I thought it was pretty good. It might have been a little too long for my tastes, but it was a huge, epic story. Of course, the fight with the 8 headed dragon left a little to be desired. I mean, he dances it to death...or something, I don't even remember.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira-Fan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Are illegal streams or bootlegs the only way to watch this other than the Japanese VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray?

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Gojira-Fan wrote:Are illegal streams or bootlegs the only way to watch this other than the Japanese VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray?

Yes.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:33 am

I watched part 1 of this, in celebration of the emperors enthronement or whatever(felt appropriate).

I like all the stuff with the Japanese creation myth, especially the whole sequence with Amaterasu hiding in the cave. The film has a lot of good music and cinematography as well.

My main issue is how I don’t like the main lead, but at the same time, I appreciate that they didn’t water him down and make him a young all compassionate pretty boy like the remake did. I’ll finish watching it tomorrow.

I just want to also say I’m astounded that this was made in 1959 with such an all star cast.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

realinvaderdesign
Yojimbo

Postby realinvaderdesign » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:59 am

Both this and orochi are on my bucket list of toho movies to watch, I already like films such as daimajin so movies like these would be up my street

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:46 pm

realinvaderdesign wrote:Both this and orochi are on my bucket list of toho movies to watch, I already like films such as daimajin so movies like these would be up my street

Because the plots are pretty much identical, you could benefit from watching them close to one another, just to compare the two, or distantly.

I think Three Treasures better so far, but I have my reasons for liking the Orochi film more.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”