Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
TheSecondComing
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3998
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby TheSecondComing » Sun May 08, 2016 11:31 am

Been a long time since I watched the movie, but it was on my mind today because I was reading about Prophecies of Nostradamus and seems I stumbled across the fate of the Mogera suit.

Since this was a full-scale production, Toho required the use of all of their own visual effects soundstages. However, during filming of a special effects scene, a pyrotechnical accident caused a fire that burned down part of the main visual effects soundstage, an incident that was very widely reported in Japan at the time. The fire destroyed a number of costumes and props from earlier Toho tokusatsu classics that were kept in storage at the time, including the original Mogera costume from The Mysterians (1957).


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071923/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2
[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Legionmaster/pWo.jpg[/img]

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sun May 08, 2016 12:17 pm

TheSecondComing wrote:Been a long time since I watched the movie, but it was on my mind today because I was reading about Prophecies of Nostradamus and seems I stumbled across the fate of the Mogera suit.

Since this was a full-scale production, Toho required the use of all of their own visual effects soundstages. However, during filming of a special effects scene, a pyrotechnical accident caused a fire that burned down part of the main visual effects soundstage, an incident that was very widely reported in Japan at the time. The fire destroyed a number of costumes and props from earlier Toho tokusatsu classics that were kept in storage at the time, including the original Mogera costume from The Mysterians (1957).


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071923/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Hmmm, that's interesting, I wonder what other suits caught fire
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5467
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby edgaguirus » Sun May 08, 2016 9:41 pm

That's too bad. I liked the Moguera suit.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5490
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby LegendZilla » Tue May 10, 2016 1:02 am

I can't help but feel bad for the Myterians themselves in the film.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5787
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Godzillian » Tue May 10, 2016 2:21 am

LegendZilla wrote:I can't help but feel bad for the Myterians themselves in the film.

Why
Image

User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5490
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby LegendZilla » Tue May 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Godzillian wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I can't help but feel bad for the Mysterians themselves in the film.

Why


Isn't it obvious? They were pacifists who just wanted the right to interbreed with our women because their species was dying out. I know they started a fire at the beginning of the film, but if the humans just told them not to do anything like that any more and take responsibility, then everything would've been cool
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2817
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am
Location: party city Butt
Contact:

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Space Hunter M » Tue May 10, 2016 9:48 pm

LegendZilla wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I can't help but feel bad for the Mysterians themselves in the film.

Why


Isn't it obvious? They were pacifists who just wanted the right to interbreed with our women because their species was dying out. I know they started a fire at the beginning of the film, but if the humans just told them not to do anything like that any more and take responsibility, then everything would've been cool

You're forgetting that they were planning to reduce Tokyo to ashes either way with their little underground fort digging operation. The Mysterians are just as much victims as Godzilla is portrayed in the first movie, so kinda sympathetic, but still, they were planning to take over anyway.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉


Follow me on the tumblebox

User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5490
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby LegendZilla » Tue May 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Space Hunter M wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Why


Isn't it obvious? They were pacifists who just wanted the right to interbreed with our women because their species was dying out. I know they started a fire at the beginning of the film, but if the humans just told them not to do anything like that any more and take responsibility, then everything would've been cool

You're forgetting that they were planning to reduce Tokyo to ashes either way with their little underground fort digging operation. The Mysterians are just as much victims as Godzilla is portrayed in the first movie, so kinda sympathetic, but still, they were planning to take over anyway.


The Earthlings could've at least tried to reason with them beforehand.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Thu May 12, 2016 2:38 am

^ You're absolutely right, and maybe if Poland would have kindly reasoned with the nazis, they wouldn't have invaded…
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5787
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Godzillian » Thu May 12, 2016 9:35 am

LegendZilla wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Isn't it obvious? They were pacifists who just wanted the right to interbreed with our women because their species was dying out. I know they started a fire at the beginning of the film, but if the humans just told them not to do anything like that any more and take responsibility, then everything would've been cool

You're forgetting that they were planning to reduce Tokyo to ashes either way with their little underground fort digging operation. The Mysterians are just as much victims as Godzilla is portrayed in the first movie, so kinda sympathetic, but still, they were planning to take over anyway.


The Earthlings could've at least tried to reason with them beforehand.

The Mysterians weren't exactly going to listen to reason
Image

User avatar
GodzillaRangerPrime
G-Grasper
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Avengers Tower

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby GodzillaRangerPrime » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:17 pm

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
TheSecondComing wrote:Been a long time since I watched the movie, but it was on my mind today because I was reading about Prophecies of Nostradamus and seems I stumbled across the fate of the Mogera suit.

Since this was a full-scale production, Toho required the use of all of their own visual effects soundstages. However, during filming of a special effects scene, a pyrotechnical accident caused a fire that burned down part of the main visual effects soundstage, an incident that was very widely reported in Japan at the time. The fire destroyed a number of costumes and props from earlier Toho tokusatsu classics that were kept in storage at the time, including the original Mogera costume from The Mysterians (1957).


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071923/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Hmmm, that's interesting, I wonder what other suits caught fire


Damn, since it 1974, it could've been anything from between 1954 - 1974, so it makes it hard to narrow down the stuff destroyed.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.

I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.


That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

User avatar
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Stevo_1985 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm going to watch this tonight. I've been attempting to venture outside of the Godzilla-verse as of lately. I thoroughly enjoyed Atragon. Space ameoba was ok, not great, not terrible. My father said this one was pretty good and from what I've read it's one of the better films. We'll see!
Image

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

User avatar
GodzillaFanatic2001
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby GodzillaFanatic2001 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:11 pm

This one is one of my favorites, a real fun movie. You'll enjoy it :)
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.

As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.


GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Great for any afternoon. Or late night movie.

But not the morning. No, no... Never the morning.
This movie's quality improves by 50% when viewed past noon.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10987
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby eabaker » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:30 pm

Stevo_1985 wrote:I'm going to watch this tonight. I've been attempting to venture outside of the Godzilla-verse as of lately. I thoroughly enjoyed Atragon. Space ameoba was ok, not great, not terrible. My father said this one was pretty good and from what I've read it's one of the better films. We'll see!


It's definitely a masterpiece of production design, but the story and characterizations aren't as compelling as one might hope.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Stevo_1985 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:21 pm

Actually watched it early this morning. I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as Atragon but pretty good overall. I will say it was a strange feeling watching the moguera attack the town and people. I guess because Heisei Moguera was the first one I was introduced to. I did like the mysterians.. I keep wanting to call them the mysterons.. but.. I actually thought their "suits" were a much better design then the later aliens we would see in the series (showa xillians, kilaaks) One question though.. was the second Moguera cut from the English version? Reading his bio here apparently there was a second one who was crushed by a markalite cannon but I didn't see him.
Image

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10987
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby eabaker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Stevo_1985 wrote:Actually watched it early this morning. I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as Atragon but pretty good overall. I will say it was a strange feeling watching the moguera attack the town and people. I guess because Heisei Moguera was the first one I was introduced to. I did like the mysterians.. I keep wanting to call them the mysterons.. but.. I actually thought their "suits" were a much better design then the later aliens we would see in the series (showa xillians, kilaaks) One question though.. was the second Moguera cut from the English version? Reading his bio here apparently there was a second one who was crushed by a markalite cannon but I didn't see him.


He was cut from the US theatrical version, but even in the original cut his appearance is so brief you could easily miss it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Stevo_1985 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Well that stinks.. I liked him. Kinda wish he got just a tad more screen time.
Image

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

User avatar
ThunderScore
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby ThunderScore » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:55 pm

Stevo_1985 wrote:I keep wanting to call them the mysterons..

Captain Scarlet's arch foes...

User avatar
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby Stevo_1985 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:27 pm

ThunderScore wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:I keep wanting to call them the mysterons..

Captain Scarlet's arch foes...


Captain Scarlet > Thunderbirds

The mysterons and the mysterians. Both remnant of an extraterrestrial race,both from mars(sort of). Except the mysterons weren't really dicks till Captain Black attempted to destroy their city.. The Mysterians were just straight up dicks from the start.

Edit.

Thinking about it they weren't total dicks. They did attempt to "conquer" the earth rather peacefully albeit omitting what their true intentions were.. You would think this taught them a lesson but nooo they invite the xilians with open arms when they came down. Stupid humans.
Image

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

User avatar
ThunderScore
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Postby ThunderScore » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:40 pm

I think your first impression was correct...
Image


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests