Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Definitely one of my favorite non-Godzilla Ifukube soundtracks....

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

One of my favorite Toho films. Outstanding effects and one of Ifukube's best scores.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Didn't care for the new English dubbing on the Media Blasters release, tho...

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

ThunderScore wrote:Didn't care for the new English dubbing on the Media Blasters release, tho...

I made it sound even more like a Sandy Frank effort.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Is Sandy Frank dubbing a bad thing? Just asking.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

ThunderScore wrote:Is Sandy Frank dubbing a bad thing? Just asking.
I'm using his commissioned stuff just as a way of describing dubbing done a decade-plus after the original release. At least the Gamera and Zigra dubs are entertaining. The Bang! Zoom Mysterians is just painful compared to the RKO version.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

I definitely think that The Mysterians is one of Toho's best non-Godzilla sci-fi movies. I've heard that Honda enjoyed doing alien invasion flicks more than kaiju films, and I think that really shows in how exciting and fun The Mysterians turned out. It has a good balance of scares and laughs, one of Ifukube's best scores, some really outstanding FX work for its age, and overall it's just bursting with imagination and style.

I find myself coming back to this one more often than any of my other Tokyo Shock DVDs, especially when I have a HUGE tv to watch it in all of its Tohoscope glory.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The Mysterians revisits some of the allegorical elements from Godzilla repackaged in a colorful sci-fi fantasy themed environment rather than the harsh documentary styled images of the earlier film. Funny how Akihiko Hirata and Takashi Shimura play almost identical roles. I think it's the second most "important" entry in Toho's '50s catalog for a number of obvious technical and stylistic choices.

Also:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Definitely one of my favorite non-Godzilla Ifukube soundtracks....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOGGJYAqCF8

It's some of his best work.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Definitely my favorite Toho alien invasion flick, and one of my favorite Toho movies overall. I love the miniature battles and the soundtrack
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Bubbazilla
Yojimbo

Post by Bubbazilla »

My fave alien invasion flick of all time! Loved it all. Mogera is awesome, and the battles are awesome, too.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Man, I gotta see this flick sometime, it sounds like a hoot!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Man, I gotta see this flick sometime, it sounds like a hoot!
It's pretty good.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

ThunderScore wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Man, I gotta see this flick sometime, it sounds like a hoot!
It's pretty good.
I bet it is, I'm a sucker for Toho's classics. From what I gather, it's got a great, fun plot, neat SPFX, and two Mogras! The last "new" classic Toho movie I had watched was SA, and I wasn't impressed, nor entertained, but the Mysterians seem like it has the classic thing I loved about the Godzilla films, and plus, it was directed by the legend Ishiro Honda, so that tidbit right there makes me even more interested.
Eventually I'll get around to picking it up and I'll do a review :)
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Don't expect much action from the second Mogera. It's screen time is limited to literally seconds.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

eabaker wrote:Don't expect much action from the second Mogera. It's screen time is limited to literally seconds.
lol there they are

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

This is easily one of my favorite Toho films! The effects are extremely well done and some impress me even today. Also, the RKO dub easily blows the Media Blasters one out of the water, way better in almost every way. Easily one of the Toho films I'll watch if I'm in the mood for a fun sci-if film!

Also, I found these neat promotional images from the films American release. I love this artwork, I think it looks great!

There's a few more of these on this Tumblr page I found: https://www.tumblr.com/search/lt.%20col ... ert%20rigg

Interesting to note that the final photo features Mogera's second appearance cut from the RKO/MGM release.
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Hi there, sorry for this double post, but I'm curious, where did you get a shot of the English paper in widescreen. I found a TV print of the film online, and in it, the "English Study Of Mysteroid" shot is cropped, so that it reads about "He Mysterian". So I'm wondering, where did you get a shot of the "English Study Of Mysteroid" in widescreen, or at least uncropped? Thanks.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:
Hi there, sorry for this double post, but I'm curious, where did you get a shot of the English paper in widescreen. I found a TV print of the film online, and in it, the "English Study Of Mysteroid" shot is cropped, so that it reads about "He Mysterian". So I'm wondering, where did you get a shot of the "English Study Of Mysteroid" in widescreen, or at least uncropped? Thanks.
It's from a VHS of the French theatrical version. It's also probably in the source video master for the German dub that's on the Shock DVD.