How would you improve the Showa Era?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: How would you improve the Showa Era?

Post by ernesth100 »

Exactly! Gojira and Raids again in color would feel more realistic. And it'd likely be more detailed.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Godzilla The King wrote:Or show how cheap Raids Again was.
That too.:lol:
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Black and white worked in the original film's favor, IMO.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

tymon wrote:Black and white worked in the original film's favor, IMO.
Agreed, it gave it a great noir aspect and enhanced the general sense of dread.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I could never imagine Gojira in color. I think it would ruin the whole movie. And imagine a brown G! Also, I don't think the night attacks on Tokyo would look as good, as brown on black looks ugly. I could tolerate GRA in color, but again, brown Goji..........

Varan in color would be great, but I don't think they should make Varan tan like they did in DAM, I like the way he's a deep gray with bright white-clear spikes.

Rodan in B&W would be fine, but the first half of the movie would be pitch black because of the mine scenes.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

he-ba wrote:I could never imagine Gojira in color. I think it would ruin the whole movie. And imagine a brown G! Also, I don't think the night attacks on Tokyo would look as good, as brown on black looks ugly. I could tolerate GRA in color, but again, brown Goji..........

Varan in color would be great, but I don't think they should make Varan tan like they did in DAM, I like the way he's a deep gray with bright white-clear spikes.

Rodan in B&W would be fine, but the first half of the movie would be pitch black because of the mine scenes.
There's always cozzilla.
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

^Which is still a lost, sunken treasure to me. It maybe utter crap, I don't know, but I'd still like to see it at least once. :lol:
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

You mean I've had my brother, who let's just say has been know to acquire certain things from time to time, scourer some of the seeder parts of the Internet when all it would have taken is a YouTube search? Damn, I swear sometimes I think of the most convoluted path to what should be a short walk! :lol:

Thanks.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Increase budgets, reduce stock footage, and a number of other things but who can blame toho for the choices they made towards the tail end of the Showa era.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Make the GTTHM / IOAM Rodan suit more like the 1956 original. Good lord, that was an ugly suit. Comparable with 1967 Godzilla in my eyes.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

We need to be practical.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Suddenly, I NEVER want to see Gojira in color again (and the Italians sure have a way of making things much more dramatic...)
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

YonggaryRGG
Yojimbo

Post by YonggaryRGG »

For me, it wouldn't be improving the Showa era so much as improving Destroy All Monsters, since it's the one film of the Showa era that disappoints me for not living up to its full potential. For what was supposed to be the grand finale of the Godzilla series (and Toho's kaiju films in general judging from the selection of monsters), I don't think it was as good of a send off as it could have been.

I think their selection of monsters formed a pretty good representation of the genre at the time, but about half of the monsters getting the shaft in terms of screen time really killed it for me. I can't help but feel ripped off when a film advertises 11 monsters but only about half of them actually do anything. Plus, it always irked me that they used the larva Mothra instead of the more iconic adult form. I understand that a lot of these problems were caused by budget and time constraints, but that doesn't make the results any less disappointing.

Also, the film feels like a downgraded retread of GTTHM and Monster Zero. It rehashes the main concepts of GTTHM (a crossover featuring Toho's biggest monsters teaming up against a common foe) and Monster Zero (an alien invasion featuring mind controlled giant monsters used as the invaders' weapons), but doesn't execute them as well as those films did.

So I would just make sure all of the featured monsters got at least one scene to shine, use the adult Mothra instead of the larva, and make the film feel less derivative of GTTHM and Monster Zero.
Last edited by YonggaryRGG on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Son Of Godzilla : Never film that airplane opening scene from the original Japanese version in the first place. Aside from having nothing to do with the rest of the plot, not doing so would've saved a lot of money.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^I like that scene. :oops:
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Exactly.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Wasn't Cozzilla supposed to be one of the first tries at completely colorizing a movie? I heard it multiple times, but I thought it was just a rumor.

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

gerdzerl wrote:Make the GTTHM / IOAM Rodan suit more like the 1956 original. Good lord, that was an ugly suit. Comparable with 1967 Godzilla in my eyes.
Man, I hated that suit. The original 1956 one was great, wished they tried harder to make it look more like the original.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PRIMEVAL wrote:
gerdzerl wrote:Make the GTTHM / IOAM Rodan suit more like the 1956 original. Good lord, that was an ugly suit. Comparable with 1967 Godzilla in my eyes.
Man, I hated that suit. The original 1956 one was great, wished they tried harder to make it look more like the original.
Even though I heard that the original 1956 suit was intact at the time, the suit itself, like most 50's styled Kaiju suits were much more intimidating in style than their 60's 70's sucessors.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

LegendZilla wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:
Even though I heard that the original 1956 suit was intact at the time, the suit itself, like most 50's styled Kaiju suits were much more intimidating in style than their 60's 70's sucessors.
I think that a more menacing Rodan may have been a little out of place, maybe a little bit of a tone-down would be needed. But to make Rodan look like MJ after all of his surgeries, that was just plain wrong. I remember as a kid watching the original Rodan and then GtTHM directly after and saying "Good god, WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM!?"