Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kaltes-Herzeleid
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla Raids Again is scary

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Plus the music. It sounds a lot more horrific in tone compared to Ifukube's work.
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

That hand puppet used for Godzilla’s close-ups is butt-ugly. Makes me wonder if it was an influence on Shin’s design?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

tenup wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:15 pm This is one film that seems to be overlooked overall and it has always had this haunting effect on me. This was one of the first Godzilla films I owned as a child. I remember getting the VHS copy as a gift for Christmas and would enjoy playing it over and over despite it having very poor quality audio.

One of the things that never quite settled well with me with the film is Godzilla himself. My dad would always tell me it wasn't Godzilla because Godzilla is dead. Being young I didnt understand this because it sure looked like Godzilla and I would contest my dad's argument. Also the American dub version featured Godzilla having Anguirus roar which made my dad's point more convincing.

Now this is where it gets scary because it wasn't til years after the fact that I saw the original 54 film (well actually the 56 American edit) that confirmed what my dad was telling me. Godzilla was killed in that movie yet he reappears in Raids again. I believe theres a scene where scientists are going over their explanation to why this is but I dont recall if it's a different creature or a resurrection? And Godzilla is vicious in this. The scene where the police and escaped convicts caused that massive explosion directing Godzilla's attention always gave me chillz. And that erie score makes it bone chilling
The opening, is pretty creepy:

Notice the light, but haunting background music, and the monster screams as well as what was obscured. I remember also being scared by Angurius dying but I must have been five.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

After the death of Godzilla in the 54 film, Yamane does wonder if Godzilla was the only one of its race. This makes him realize there are others.

GRA is a chilling film in tone and score. It shows ordinary people being effected by unbelievable and terrifying events, feeling helpless during and after the monsters destruction of their world. The music score also sets the mood for the events.
Even a man who is pure at heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.

Life! Do you hear me?! Give my creation Liiiife!

Al Diplodocus
GPN Volunteer
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:03 pm
tenup wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:15 pm This is one film that seems to be overlooked overall and it has always had this haunting effect on me. This was one of the first Godzilla films I owned as a child. I remember getting the VHS copy as a gift for Christmas and would enjoy playing it over and over despite it having very poor quality audio.

One of the things that never quite settled well with me with the film is Godzilla himself. My dad would always tell me it wasn't Godzilla because Godzilla is dead. Being young I didnt understand this because it sure looked like Godzilla and I would contest my dad's argument. Also the American dub version featured Godzilla having Anguirus roar which made my dad's point more convincing.

Now this is where it gets scary because it wasn't til years after the fact that I saw the original 54 film (well actually the 56 American edit) that confirmed what my dad was telling me. Godzilla was killed in that movie yet he reappears in Raids again. I believe theres a scene where scientists are going over their explanation to why this is but I dont recall if it's a different creature or a resurrection? And Godzilla is vicious in this. The scene where the police and escaped convicts caused that massive explosion directing Godzilla's attention always gave me chillz. And that erie score makes it bone chilling
The opening, is pretty creepy:

Notice the light, but haunting background music, and the monster screams as well as what was obscured. I remember also being scared by Angurius dying but I must have been five.
You can't go wrong when you shoot kaiju tilting upwards from the perspective of humans on the ground, making the kaiju look rightfully big,

GodzillaXGomoraFight
G-Grasper

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Raids Again was the final Godzilla film that I saw growing up after I got my hands on the Classic Media DVD in the mid to late 2000s. I have always found the movie to be slightly unsettling because of the pacing of the monster fight and the soundtrack during those scenes. The sped up fighting gives the battle between Godzilla and Anguirus a savage, animalistic feel that I do not think we have ever seen since. The clip shared above and the main fight in Osaka both are effective in giving the fight a sense of horror and awe as we see two monsters fight to the death. Can imagine that after the original Godzilla film, the filmmakers wanted to add on the sense of dread that the original film gave Godzilla by bringing him back with a seemingly equal threat in Anguirus. It is an underrated film in my book that I have always felt is decent and not as terrible as I have seen other fans rank it.