Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Post Reply
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2158
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by daveblackeye15 »

There's a picture of Rodan having a breathe weapon too and possibly briefly in the movie too. Now if there's a still or artwork of the original Mothra and Varan breathing fire we'd have all the originals covered.

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

daveblackeye15 wrote:There's a picture of Rodan having a breathe weapon too and possibly briefly in the movie too. Now if there's a still or artwork of the original Mothra and Varan breathing fire we'd have all the originals covered.
Rodan HAD a "breath weapon"

And this shits just for poster effect, it doesn't mean Anguirus was supposed to breath attack or anything, this was just a thing Toho did to most of the Showa posters and promotional pics for effect and that's it.
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
The Octopus
G-Grasper
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am
Location: Pacific Ocean

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by The Octopus »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:And this shits just for poster effect, it doesn't mean Anguirus was supposed to breath attack or anything, this was just a thing Toho did to most of the Showa posters and promotional pics for effect and that's it.
How often did they have kaiju breathing fire (that weren't supposed to breathe fire) on their publicity materials? For it to appear on the Manga as well (like Baragon destroying Paris from DAM) leads me to believe there was an original intent here at the very least. Plus it gels with the origin of the monsters. If both are revived by radiation why would only one monster be radioactive and the other isn't?

Another example of a weapon that appeared in publicity materials would be Gigan's beam weapon on the Godzilla vs Gigan poster and related publicity materials. Jun Fukuda said he wanted to give Gigan a beam weapon but for whatever reason it never materialized on screen so there was at least an intent there rather then some random weapon appearing on a poster.
Image

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:And this shits just for poster effect, it doesn't mean Anguirus was supposed to breath attack or anything, this was just a thing Toho did to most of the Showa posters and promotional pics for effect and that's it.
How often did they have kaiju breathing fire (that weren't supposed to breathe fire) on their publicity materials? For it to appear on the Manga as well (like Baragon destroying Paris from DAM) leads me to believe there was an original intent here at the very least. Plus it gels with the origin of the monsters. If both are revived by radiation why would only one monster be radioactive and the other isn't?

Another example of a weapon that appeared in publicity materials would be Gigan's beam weapon on the Godzilla vs Gigan poster and related publicity materials. Jun Fukuda said he wanted to give Gigan a beam weapon but for whatever reason it never materialized on screen so there was at least an intent there rather then some random weapon appearing on a poster.
^ Back to the Gigan beam assumption again I see, well, time to explain this one AGAIN...
Gigan was never meant to have a beam weapon, the jewel from his forehead was to give him some Buhdist hightend sensory thing, but it got axed because it didn't seem like an thing a cyborg would have.
And IDK, Baragon's shown to have gravity beams, and production stills show Megalon with an ultrasonic death beam from his mouth, i dont remember them ever having those attacks in the movies, its all for effect, unless you can find some sort of article around that mentions an Anguirus beam...

And how often did Toho have their kaiju illustrated to breath fire when they didn't? Quite often, Mothra comes to mind, don't remember her having fire breath, do you? No? Didn't think so
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
The Octopus
G-Grasper
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am
Location: Pacific Ocean

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by The Octopus »

Lain Of The Wired wrote: ^ Back to the Gigan beam assumption again I see, well, time to explain this one AGAIN...
First of all lay off the attitude. Ok. I don't know you. I have never spoken to you before. So don't talk down to me.
Second of all the plan was to have some sort of weapon/jewel on his head. It got axed but it was turned into a beam in publicity materials. So whether it was a beam or a sensory jewel or whatever the fact is there was intended to be something there.
And IDK, Baragon's shown to have gravity beams
Became an oral beam instead. So he still shot a long range weapon from his mouth.
and production stills show Megalon with an ultrasonic death beam from his mouth,
Became those napalm bombs instead. So you see he was still intended to launch a long distance weapon from his mouth.
Mothra comes to mind, don't remember her having fire breath, do you? No? Didn't think so
Shoots silk. Long distance weapon.

So whether its silk, napalm bombs, oral beam or fire, death ray, gravity beams, the fact is all these these kaiju all had long distance oral attacks. The attacks just changed in terms of their design and aesthetics but they all had it.

Angilas on the other hand was never given an oral weapon in the film. It seems kind odd they would give him a long distance weapon out of the blue in publicity materials just for dramatic effect without some sort of intent like the other kaiju had. Since all these other kaiju had their weapons changed but still retained weapons it leads me to believe their was some sort of intent for Angilas to have a weapon rather than some random aesthetic in publicity materials.
Image

User avatar
Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4554
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:10 am
Location: Valley Of Repose

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Yeah. Even so, it still looks kind of odd to see all of those creatures have atom-ray-esque abilities with them, like Godzilla.

And if you want to add another monster that did it somehow in its publicity, shall I remind of Gabara and his electro-kinetic-type-of-attack on a picture for his movie...?

:P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to female dog about, then tangent onto something unrelated and female dog about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can female dog some more. It's the circle of life.

User avatar
The Octopus
G-Grasper
Posts: 1279
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am
Location: Pacific Ocean

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by The Octopus »

I just want to mention something about the Gigan beam. Nakano was asked about the beam in an interview in Cult Movies and specifically stated it was meant to be a beam. Whether it was meant to be a high intensity laser meant to slice through buildings or some Buddha thought power is really irrelevant because what you see in the movie poster is exactly what was intended to be used in the film. I found the interview Teruyoshi Nakano did in Cult Movies #12.

I was very much interested in the sixth sense of human beings at the time. I knew that many statues of Buddha had auras around their heads, and I had read an article about strange rays coming out of the foreheads of human beings. So I originally intended to have a ray come out of Gigan's forehead. However I changed my mind because the ability didn't seem to fit the cyborg. It fit only human beings. That's why I didn't use it. Gigan had a very strong and angular form. It was enough to express the great power of the monster, so the laser beam wasn't needed.

So that image wasn't something the poster designers and publicity people simply used for artistic sakes. It was intended to be in the film originally.
Image

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:I just want to mention something about the Gigan beam. Nakano was asked about the beam in an interview in Cult Movies and specifically stated it was meant to be a beam. Whether it was meant to be a high intensity laser meant to slice through buildings or some Buddha thought power is really irrelevant because what you see in the movie poster is exactly what was intended to be used in the film. I found the interview Teruyoshi Nakano did in Cult Movies #12.

I was very much interested in the sixth sense of human beings at the time. I knew that many statues of Buddha had auras around their heads, and I had read an article about strange rays coming out of the foreheads of human beings. So I originally intended to have a ray come out of Gigan's forehead. However I changed my mind because the ability didn't seem to fit the cyborg. It fit only human beings. That's why I didn't use it. Gigan had a very strong and angular form. It was enough to express the great power of the monster, so the laser beam wasn't needed.

So that image wasn't something the poster designers and publicity people simply used for artistic sakes. It was intended to be in the film originally.
Yeah. That's what I said in my post about Gigan…

And like I said, there's nothing on paper that's ever even hinted to the concept of giving Anguirus a beam attack, so its safe to assume that its just an effect for the poster to give it that "edge"
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
Cookson
Futurian
Posts: 3229
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Cookson »

Would you guys watch this film differently if it, along with Gojira, were prequels to the new Godzilla: Resurgence film?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16289
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cookson wrote:Would you guys watch this film differently if it, along with Gojira, were prequels to the new Godzilla: Resurgence film?
A reference in the new film wouldn't change the quality of the old film. I'm not sure why my opinion would change based on that.
Image

User avatar
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Godzillian »

Cookson wrote:Would you guys watch this film differently if it, along with Gojira, were prequels to the new Godzilla: Resurgence film?
No. It magically becoming a prequel to a film 60+ years later wouldn't fix it's problems.
Image

User avatar
g2vd
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by g2vd »

"And now you must die!"-Kobayashi

Best line ever.
Godzilla

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Cookson wrote:Would you guys watch this film differently if it, along with Gojira, were prequels to the new Godzilla: Resurgence film?
Lol…
That wouldn't fix the pacing problem in this film…
Or how lousy the English dub is
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2793
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Ivo-goji »

I have a more positive view of this film than most other fans. I like it's serious tone and the down-to-earth, realistic depiction of the evacuation/destruction/aftermath readjustment. It might be the most grounded film in the series. Appropriately, it introduces the very down-to-earth Anguirus, who looks awesome in this movie and gives us a great animalistic fight scene.

Not the most impressive entry in the franchise, but certainly underrated. One my most frequently rewatched Godzilla titles.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Master-Spiff
Samurai
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm
Location: NUN YA' BEEZWAX.
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Master-Spiff »

While I wouldn't say this movie's awful or anything (aside from the laughably bad "dub"), I find it very unremarkable nevertheless; for the most part, I think it's just an average B-movie, though the fight with Anguirus and the ending raid on Godzilla are pretty neat.

User avatar
BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: Some where, in a vast land.

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Is it just me or this the music seem really dark in this one? I found that it gave this one a darker tone.
This is the beginning of the end.

User avatar
Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:27 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Dannybeane »

So last night during some downtime at work, I was watching the awful dub of this film. Now I love the Japanese version but the never-ending narration of the dub makes this a tedious film to sit through. How could anyone have thought that was a good idea. Then I thought, the overbearing narration of this film almost seems like it was written as a radio play. Any chance that the script for the dub was used from a possible radio adaptation?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2916
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Space Hunter M »


Here's the original special announcement/teaser if nobody else has seen it yet (audio is lost).

I'm still hoping one of the European releases used the full-length Japanese trailer as a basis.

User avatar
Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:31 am
Location: Letchi Island chillin w/ the Red Bamboo

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Ookondru99 »

Definitely in the minority with this one. I really like it. Maybe it's the snowy location of the final act (relatively rare setting in the series) or the prototype-like designs of the monster suits, but I really enjoy it. The anguirus suit is of particular note, probably the most ominous he looked in the series (and personally my favorite design). The goji suit is a guilty pleasure of mine. it resembles '54, but the slimmed down look works for the fight scenes. The only complaint I have with it is the face; though good looking from the side it looks atrocious when directly facing the camera. All in all, the film drags a bit before the final act and it isn't bringing the same message Gojira did the year before, but an alright godzilla flick. The monster vs monster formula wouldn't be worked out until later in the series which would've helped the film's pacing. The english dub however is awful and i refuse to watch it.
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

User avatar
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2793
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Ivo-goji »

Personally I really like to watch this film. It just clicks with me. I think it's its purity- the fact that it's such a straightforward monster movie.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Post Reply