Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
NebulaMSpacehunter
Samurai

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by NebulaMSpacehunter »

BANANA OIL

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

I like Gigantis because its a americanization,its cheesy,the title is badass,and of course "Banana Oil!".
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Forgettable is the keyword. When you're jammed between Gojira and King Kong Vs. Godzilla (combined with being incredible mediocre on most levels) then you tend to get lost. It really doesn't add anything to the franchise, other then Anguirus (who could've been introduced in DAM or even Godzilla vs Gigan just fine).
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

i don't hate this movie, but it isn't a good one neither. There wasn't enough Godzilla, Aside from the battle with Anguirus an Godzilla being covered in Ice at the very end there really isn't any point in watching it. The only thing ill give it respect for is it being the first film starting the (Vs) era of Godzilla which would continue until this very day.

maybe a 1.0 out of 5.0

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

While I find Godzilla vs. Megalon to be the worst entry in the franchise, I would probably sooner watch it over Godzilla Raids Again.

The problem with this film is that it's just so boring. The Godzilla vs. Anguirus bout is interesting, but it happens far too soon. Once it's over, there is next to zero reasons for watching it. What are you left to look forward to? The underdeveloped love triangle? The slow paced Godzilla snow waltz until he gets buried?

I will be honest that I saw this movie in the theaters at a convention, and actually walked out after Anguirus died. To be fair, it was a late showing and it was double billed, but its still the only Toho movie that can tout having left me with the urge to just leave while it was still running.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

While the U.S. dub/re-edit is laughable, the original release is a solid if weaker follow-up, much in the vein of Jaws 2 or Rocky II. It doesn't really add much to Godzilla's mythology, but it does introduce a new dinopponent in Anguirus, starting the shift to VS daikaiju flicks. The fight scenes are far more believable than those that follow (I love the sped-up shots, even if they were accidental), and the continuity nods to Gojira are much appreciated.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

What was the point of the USA renaming Godzilla Gigantis

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

To pretend that it was a new, different monster. Audiences didn't care.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

And as a result, the film bombed.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

TitanosaurusFan
Yojimbo

Post by TitanosaurusFan »

The dubbing of the American version.......god did it sound cartoonish and horrible.The change of Godzilla's name to Gigantis was pointless and giving him Anguirus's roars made it worse.And then theres the addition of how Godzilla and Anguirus were created in the U.S version followed by stock footage and a generic sci-fi explanation for how the monsters were created and when finally,footage of Godzilla appeared on Dr.Yamane's projector,the eerie mood of the original scene was destroyed by talking and music while the japanese version had only footage of Godzilla's attack and there was no sound or music,just footage, and it set a good atmosphere for the scene.

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

This sequel was really close to the look and tone of Gojira, but it didn't have the heart. Part of Gojira's point was the monster's devastation and how it effected the Japanese people. In GRA, the first scene in Osaka after Godzilla's raid is a bunch of people standing around, cheerfully talking about how they'll just rebuild. It robs the movie of any emotion it might have. Even Kobashi's death seems...not necessary. Why not just say "hey, we should try burying Godzilla in an avalanche" instead of killing himself to get the story's hero to figure the strategy out?

All that said, the monster stuff was really good and the portrayal of Godzilla and Angurius here probably has more in common with the Heisei era than what the Showa films would end up being. More animal, less anthromorphic. I'm also a sucker for black and white monster movies. The whole bit with turning the lights out and trying to flare Godzilla away that's ruined by Angurius blindsliding everyone? Classic.

A mixed bag to be sure, but a good entry to the franchise.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Akira Ifukube's score during the battle between Godzilla and Anguirus in my opinion was one of the highlights of the movie. It was extremely dark and it intensified the match slightly

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

WHOSE score?

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:Akira Ifukube's score during the battle between Godzilla and Anguirus in my opinion was one of the highlights of the movie. It was extremely dark and it intensified the match slightly

Uh dude, Akira Ifukube didn't do the score for Godzilla Raids Again. Masauru Sato did.
Was it? O well than, I thought that Masauru Sato did a good job

jdownham
Yojimbo

Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by jdownham »

Recently, I watched both the Japanese and Americanized versions of the first sequel to Godzilla. The original Japanese version is definitely superior. I give it 3 dorsal fins. :) The American version is a grade B monster flick typical of the 1950s, when giant bug-eyed monsters menaced the drive-ins. So it has nostalgic value. For a long time, this was one of the "lost" Godzilla movies. I remember it airing on the Disney channel years ago (Yeah, the Disney channel actually onced aired Godzilla movies!). What do you all think of this film? Was it as much of a drop in greatness as, say, Son of Kong?

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by therealmccoy »

All in all, I guess it depends on which version you see. I'm mixed, because there are things I like about both. I don't really think it was a big drop in greatness, but it really wasn't that great of a movie anyway. The whole "Anguirus family" thing and referring to the first Godzilla as an Anguirus didn't help much. The music in the dub was awesome. The only music that was worth a damn in the original was Godzilla's appearance. Yeah, the dub was a B-movie, but the original wasn't much better, so it couldn't have hurt it that much.
I'm 29, but I don't remember Disney showing Godzilla. I'm probably too young. Ahhh...the good old days...before everybody started bitching about violence on TV. :roll:
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

This movie is really sub-par. Unlikable, flat characters. A stupid romance sub-plot. Pretty poor pacing, all made this movie pretty unlikable.

Although it did invent the monster fight, which is a plus. And the special effects are good. Also, I like the musical score.

And the dub is even worse.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

therealmccoy wrote: I'm 29, but I don't remember Disney showing Godzilla.
Disney did actually play several Godzilla films in the late 80's into the early 90's. The video generated title card for GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN (that replaced the original GIGANTIS one) was first seen on the Disney channel, IIRC. Disney would also air GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER, SON OF GODZILLA, GHIDRAH, and KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (with the smoking sequence with omitted).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The movie is pretty dull IMO. What helps it from being a total failure in my book are some pretty nice fight scenes with Godzilla and Anguirus.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

A watered down retread of Gojira with another monster thrown it. Bland, boring, and utterly forgettable.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury