Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Space Hunter M »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Gigantis is the one we can agree that is just terrible.
Or you could unironically enjoy both like me.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Space Hunter M wrote:
Well, then again, I'm that kind of guy that enjoys EVERY Godzilla movie in some level, and that is not exception. Is just that some people may find it bad and that's fine, but IMO, I don't see the point of calling them so, and that's that. Not even seeing it with a different mindset like you or me and some other people do. :P
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Space Hunter M wrote:
There's nothing wrong with that, the Japanese version is slow IMO, but I can watch it and get some enjoyment out of it alright. If it makes any sense, the fact that it's B&W really adds to the enjoyment of it.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I don't mind the Japanese version. It was only Toho's second giant monster film, and they were still finding their way. I can't really be too hard on it.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
Israha wrote:Thanks for response. Bought a DVD with Japanese cut a couple months ago, guess I'm gonna have to watch it, maybe I'll change opinion on my least favourite Showa movie.

Least fav showa movie? Ouch. Worse then GR?
Heh, you got me on this one. I keep forgetting that abomination of a movie even exists, watched it once and never came back to it. So GRA is my second least favourite...

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Israha wrote:
Heh, you got me on this one. I keep forgetting that abomination of a movie even exists, watched it once and never came back to it. So GRA is my second least favourite...

Yes, yes it does. I have a copy. Just for the sake of having a complete set. Its still in the factory shrink wrap.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:
There's nothing wrong with that, the Japanese version is slow IMO, but I can watch it and get some enjoyment out of it alright. If it makes any sense, the fact that it's B&W really adds to the enjoyment of it.
It kind of does. Some classic way of seeing it. :)
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I was watching this last night. It's slow in the middle, but the kaiju are handled well. Anguirus's body language really reads into the character. It clearly reads as an overly agressive monster.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

I suppose that this is the best place to ask, so, is this movie worth a purchase?
It's cheap on amazon, and I wondered if it's something worth having.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LazerWhale wrote:I suppose that this is the best place to ask, so, is this movie worth a purchase?
All the Godzilla movies are worth having, even if you think they're the worst in the franchise.

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LazerWhale wrote:I suppose that this is the best place to ask, so, is this movie worth a purchase?
All the Godzilla movies are worth having, even if you think they're the worst in the franchise.
Okay, guess that question would kind of lead to that answer no matter what. Thanks, though.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LazerWhale wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Okay, guess that question would kind of lead to that answer no matter what. Thanks, though.
It's not as bad as everybody makes it out to be. It's an above-average 50's B-movie. Not one of the best in the franchise, but a lot better than it seems.

Also, the DVD has some great commentary and featurettes. I'd definitely recommend it, especially if it's dirt cheap.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

If you want to get it, do so. It is worth watching even if a couple of times. Or hell, to be able to see it is good enough reason.

It is considered one of the worst, in comparison sure, but it is not downright unwatchable.

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

I was considering getting it simply for the privilage of seeing what is, to my knowledge, the very first true cinematic kaiju fight within the genre. It's a historical moment, of sorts.
But,

Lest We Forget

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

It's quite an enjoyable monster movie in its own right. It's closer to standard genre material than the first, but considerably more somber than most. It's also the last time in the Showa series (not counting non-Godzilla kaiju films like Rodan) that things aren't a little tongue-in-cheek, so it has that going for it as well. Not that tongue-in-cheek isn't good, but there's some novelty in how seriously this movie plays out. The characters, while not as memorable or integrated into the moral conflict as the first film's, are engaging enough and offer interesting common-working-class roles not often seen in later films as the movies begin to rely more and more heavily on scientists, reporters (which are cool), and even astronauts to stay close to the plot.

I definitely enjoy rewatching it from time to time, especially because I'm so familiar with the original and it feels like a nice change of pace.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

They're acting like how characters would act in a situation like they are in. It does little things like that to consider.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

While the American cut of this is awful, I always felt the Japanese cut received a lot more flak than it deserved. Yes it is a little slower paced than the later showa films and yes it doesn't have the emotional gut punch of Gojira but it is still heaps better than 99% of the sci-fi muck that was coming out in the late 50s. As I am sure has been stated the fight between Anguirus and Godzilla is one of the best of the series. Also I like the fact that we see the events of this film through the eyes of everyday fisherman and citizens rather than the holy trinity of military/scientist/reporter that are usually the main characters.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Dannybeane wrote:holy trinity of military/scientist/reporter that are usually the main characters.
Actually, the military protagonists are wholly artifacts of the Heisei and Millenium series. While the Showa films sometimes provide an extended military boardroom sequence or two, not a single one joins a main cast. The closest it ever comes is spaceship crew of Destroy All Monsters.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

In this film Godzilla and Angilas are a couple of Dinosaurs that are awakened by Atomic Bomb fallout.
Now Godzilla was obviously irradiated since he's radioactive and spews a radioactive ray from his mouth just like the original in the 1954 film.

What I don't get is why Angilas wasn't radioactive too since he was awakened by the same fallout as Godzilla.

Is it possible that he originally was going to be and spew a radioactive beam as well?

I ask because I saw these old stills and a drawing from the Manga that depicts him as such.
http://oi68.tinypic.com/2hncll0.jpg
http://oi66.tinypic.com/2n85w5v.jpg

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Nice. Didn't know about those two stills. Nice find, dude.

I guess to make him different so that the two wouldn't be able to do the Atomic Breath that much. And it stuck as only for Godzilla, I guess.