Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
tymon
Futurian

Re: Worst Showa film besides Godzilla's Revenge and Megalon?

Post by tymon »

three wrote:
Goji wrote:I'm not saying that gives it a free pass, (it's still not that great, and a bottom-tier Showa entry) but comments like "It was just so kiddy" are funny because that was the entire point; It was made for the kiddies.
nah, i'm not sure why, but i always confuse SoG with Revenge. Revenge is the film with Gabbera, so my post was totally irrelevant and off base.
How do you confuse the two? I think you oughta give SoG another watch. It's not as lighthearted or "kiddie" as many make it seem, in fact the human element is played mostly straight ala Mothra vs. Godzilla, and by a damn good cast. It's a far cry from Revenge.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

tymon wrote:
three wrote:
Goji wrote:I'm not saying that gives it a free pass, (it's still not that great, and a bottom-tier Showa entry) but comments like "It was just so kiddy" are funny because that was the entire point; It was made for the kiddies.
nah, i'm not sure why, but i always confuse SoG with Revenge. Revenge is the film with Gabbera, so my post was totally irrelevant and off base.
How do you confuse the two? I think you oughta give SoG another watch. It's not as lighthearted or "kiddie" as many make it seem, in fact the human element is played mostly straight ala Mothra vs. Godzilla, and by a damn good cast. It's a far cry from Revenge.
in title only. i don't confuse their themes and story, for example. they both have Minya in them, which is why i can never remember which title goes with which.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

mechamothra
Ronin

Post by mechamothra »

My vote would probably be between Godzilla vs. Gigan, or Godzilla vs. Hedorah. Something about those two movies really put me off, especially those weird scenes in GVH, and the talking monsters in GVG.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

Raids Again is really difficult to watch for me. Getting through it is a chore and there are only a few Showa films I could say that about...so I'm going with that one.
'And yet another one?'

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

For me, I guess it would be Godzilla Raids Again. While the original version of the film is way better, it still moves at a slow pace throughout several scenes.

I'd pick Hedorah or Gigan as well, but I have so much nostalgia for those two movies that I tend to ignore their many mistakes.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lol, "their many mistakes".
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Goji wrote:Lol, "their many mistakes".
What a thought-provoking argument you got there...
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I know right? I love when people add nothing to conversations.

Oh wait..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Goji wrote:I know right? I love when people add nothing to conversations.

Oh wait..
>implying you added something other than a dismissive post

:lol:
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

>implying that I give a damn

Get that 4chan nonsense the fuck outta here, please and thank you.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

Mine is, and please don't kill me for this, Godzilla 1954

*Tomatoes start getting thrown at me before I get knocked out by someone throwing a box of beer*
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

toho_guy01 wrote:Mine is, and please don't kill me for this, Godzilla 1954

*Tomatoes start getting thrown at me before I get knocked out by someone throwing a box of beer*
Um, why? :?

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

gojira96 wrote:
toho_guy01 wrote:Mine is, and please don't kill me for this, Godzilla 1954

Um, why? :?
I see it as a overrated movie. Don't get me wrong! I do sort of like the movie! I just think there are better Godzilla movies out there like 2014. If you disagree, I'll try and fit a watching of 1954 into my schedule and I'll see if I really like it or not. After all, It is my opinion.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

toho_guy01 wrote:I see it as a overrated movie. Don't get me wrong! I do sort of like the movie! I just think there are better Godzilla movies out there like 2014. If you disagree, I'll try and fit a watching of 1954 into my schedule and I'll see if I really like it or not. After all, It is my opinion.
I know it's your opinion, I just thought it was an odd choice.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It IS very odd, especially saying the 2014 film is better.

And either way, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's a bad film. I don't understand why people cant make that distinction.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Post by toho_guy01 »

Legion1979 wrote:It IS very odd, especially saying the 2014 film is better.

And either way, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's a bad film. I don't understand why people cant make that distinction.
What's so odd about me saying that I think the 2014 movie is better than the 1954 movie?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Because as good as it is, it's not even close.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Legion1979 wrote:Because as good as it is, it's not even close.
I'm with Legion here. I don't think the 2014 movie is any where near Gojira's league...
probably because I hate the 2014 movie but you know.
Godzilla 1995 wrote:Alright, simmer down. Back to discussing terrible movies.
Destroy All Monsters for me. This movie takes forever to start up, and as far as I'm concerned, wasn't worth the wait. It still has that classic Showa Charm though.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

toho_guy01 wrote:

What's so odd about me saying that I think the 2014 movie is better than the 1954 movie?
I can see that. Some people hate it's dark themes, it's death and destruction being so depressing. I just got done watching it, and may I say, every time I watch it it gets more and more depressing.

I love the newest installment, in fact I rank it really high up on my list.

I don't find it odd, everybody has their opinions, but it honestly did through me off a bit when I first read it.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

defining something as good or bad, as a universal truth, is impossible though. so if he thinks the movie is bad, specifically because he dislikes it, that's entirely valid.

i just don't agree with it. now, Hedorah does make my list. the message is obvious, painfully so, in a bad way. some films and shows can pull off the obvious metaphor/theme with ease, some can't. Hedorah, well, it cannot. keeping in mind the target audience was children, but also the world at large, it does a pretty poor job of moving between mature and immature in its delivery, showing death and destruction, but then goofy triumph and odd moments (like Godzilla's appearance and flight vs. the dead skeletons left behind in the wake of Hedorah).

the weird scenes like the nightclub aside, the movie still suffers from the above confusion. it also shows us a literal bag of liquid garbage as the villain. i don't like Hedorah, never have, and this is part of why i personally, don't like the film. do note the distinction, as the monster is why i don't like it, not why the film is bad in and of itself.

but yea, the biggest factor in why i think its poor is that it seems confused by itself.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.