Minya: Why all the hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Minya: Why all the hate?

Post by Godzillian »

Why is there so much hate for Minya? He isn't really that bad is he? I always thought he was pretty chill.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Minya: Why all the hate?

Post by Godzillian »

gigan72 wrote:Because he looks --------. Would you think of him if someone asked what a giant radioactive dinosaurs offspring? Probably not.
well he is adapted

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Russell wrote:Adapted my ass, he's more like a downgrade.
Honestly I don't hate him, I think he looks silly as hell, and the noises he makes are ridiculous, he acts rather clownish and stupid.......to be honest I kind of like him for that, sure he sucks as an actual adolescent of Godzilla's species but as far as his character goes I somehow enjoy his antics. Still I have to pick Junior from the Heisei series over him as my favorite
" Son " of Godzilla.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

I love Minya. He had personality, he fought in two battles, and he went through an interesting process called character development (which is a very rare thing for a kaiju to have). Other than his design and his sudden speech in GR, I honestly don't see what there is to hate about him.

Hell, I think he's cute.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Dust_pan wrote:I love Minya. He had personality, he participated in three battles, and he went through an interesting process called character development (which is a very rare thing for a kaiju to have). Other than his design and his sudden speech in GR, I honestly don't see what there is to hate about him.

Hell. I think he's cute.
^Yes someone who feels the same way as I do. The speech thing never bothered me as a kid but now that i'm older its kinda odd but not to bad. I think he is cute but my gf thinks he is disturbingly creepy.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

I think if he would have looked more like his father (Junior) then we would have been happy but he was just... too strange. Again, it looked like Godzilla and the Pillsberrydough boy were spliced. Minus his appearance however I do like the actual personality of the character.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I would have no problem with him if he was cute. But he's not cute. Puppies are cute. Minya is terrifying.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I would have no problem with him if he was cute. But he's not cute. Puppies are cute. Minya is terrifying.
That's a little cold dude lmao not liking him cause he is ugly

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Legion1979 wrote:I think Minya is cute too. He works for the films he's in.
I bet you think newborns are cute too. You monster. :P
bleep bloop

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Honestly, my attitude towards Minya varies from film to film.

SOG: I like him in this. His character was fun and his interactions with both Godzilla and the world around him felt both natural and funny.

DAM: All he brought to the film was pointless comedy relief that wasn't funny to begin with.

GR: THIS is where the vast majority of Minya hate is centred around. And I couldn't agree more.

GFW: Same as DAM.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't hate him, but I'm certainly not a fan. I've never liked the idea of Godzilla offspring; he works better if he's the only remaining member of his species. Makes him unique, and such. So I generally try to ignore Minya, and just pretend he doesn't exist. Except in Godzilla's Revenge, because that movie is impossible to take seriously, anyway. Minya fits right in. And I haven't seen SoG recently, so I can't comment on his role there.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Minya has its flaws, but there's no hate on my side. In SoG, Minya's portrayal was just right, a mixture of cute, playfulness, and courage. Minya in DAM is no problem for me. Minya had little to do with the battle, but Minya isn't much of a fighter. It's with AMA that Minya turns annoying. The donkey sounds are forgivable, but that dopey voice isn't.

In GFW, Minya is tacked on only for that end scene. Two children ending a long time fued may seem touching, but it doesn't feel that way to me. It's just a convenient way to end a movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I have too much nostalgia for Minya to hate him - he's an ugly little fucker, but has a lot of charm.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I don't hate Minya at all. I like him. I won't deny that his original suit is a poor design, but as already mentioned, Minya has distinct personality to his character - more so, I dare say, than most Toho monsters. Son of Godzilla is one of the best films in the franchise, and the interaction between Minya and Godzilla is one of the primary reasons.
As for AMA, I don't mind him in that either, at least in Japanese - but I think this film gets way too much hate anyway.
I haven't seen DAM in too long of a time.
Minya didn't do much in FW, but frankly, I think his scenes are among the most tolerable in the film; plus the new suit looked great.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

I don't hate him. He killed one of Ghidorahs heads, that's pretty badass. As for Godzilla's Revenge, the only thing I don't like about him there is the voice they give him. :freak:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I find his GR voice hilarious, myself. I take most of the other Godzilla movies seriously, but with this one, I don't think there's anything to do but sit back and laugh.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

The main problem with GR from my perspective is that Minya's growth as a fighting monster from SoG was more or less ignored, so we were saddled with scenes that were more or less repeats of what we saw in SoG. It would've been nice if Minya had been more like the short dinosaurian equivalent of Burgess Meredith. "If you don't stand up to Gabara, you'll never be anything other than a two-bit loser...you bum."

KaijuAlertSystem
Gotengo Officer

Post by KaijuAlertSystem »

Don't like the design and I never have. Not even as a fairly forgiving child. I don't outright hate him by any means, it's just hard for me to get it in my head that this is Godzilla's progeny? Not to compare and contrast too heavily, but I feel that Little Godzilla maintained a better design parity with his father and was far cuter than Minya to boot.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

KaijuAlertSystem wrote:Don't like the design and I never have. Not even as a fairly forgiving child. I don't outright hate him by any means, it's just hard for me to get it in my head that this is Godzilla's progeny? Not to compare and contrast too heavily, but I feel that Little Godzilla maintained a better design parity with his father and was far cuter than Minya to boot.
To tell you the truth, I personally think that Minya looks cuter and better than Little Godzilla.

Minya kinda looks like an actual baby Showa Godzilla. It might not be puppy dog-cute, but it's still believable and even charming in its own way. Little Godzilla simply looks fake and obnoxious, in my opinion. It looks like his designers tried too hard to make him look cute, and he winds up looking like a rubbery version of those chibi anime critters you see everywhere in Japanese media.

Just my opinion. Not trying to dismiss yours.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Dylan20
Samurai

Post by Dylan20 »

I liked minya except for Godzilla's revenge.

I liked Son of godzilla, Thought the scenes with godzilla and minya were funny as heck.

Dam minya had his bada*s moment. Although they could of handeld the design better imo.