Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's films?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Re: Anybody have a change of thoughts regarding the 70's fil

Post by Killswitch »

I'm a fan of the 60's films. I always perferred them, even as a child. But, there are elements of the 70's films that I have always enjoyed. The 70's films lacked quality, detail, and budget. But, the ideas behind most of the films were very good and different from the 60's films.

The monsters from the 50's & 60's were dinosaur-ish and traditional. KG was a dragon. The monsters from the 70's were completely different. Other than Titanosaurus, none of the creatures from the 70's fit the 60's mold. A monster made of muck & trash? Cyborg Monsters, Robot Godzilla, A giant Dog/Lion creature, Poor mans Ultra man, LOL

I like the ideas and imagination, its just the quality I dislike. But, I still enjoy all those 70's films. These are the films that I would like to see re-made - if done properly.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

I thought Godzilla Vs Hedorah was awesome when I was a kid, still thinks its just as awesome today
I used to adore Godzilla Vs Gigan, nowadays while i still like it, I can see the obvious faults it has
I Used to like Godzilla Vs Megalon, now.........well......watching paint dry is more enjoyable
I loved Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla when I was a kid, still do
Terror of Mechagodzilla..........was the first Godzilla movie I ever saw....adored it then......my opinion hasn't changed in nearly 18 years. My favorite Godzilla movie of all time.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

If anything I have come to appreciate them more.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

I've never liked Hedorah; it was the last of the original Godzilla films I ever saw, and after waiting years to see it, I was immensely disappointed and thought it was a pile of literal shit.

Gigan didn't wow me as a kid, but upon rewatching I took the movie to heart and recognized that it is my favorite Godzilla film on all accounts. I've thought Gigan as a monster was awesome for years, and liking his movie only raises his status in my eyes.

I first watched Megalon on a portable tv during a car ride, and even back then as a small child of 8 I knew something was terribly wrong with this movie. However, I've come to appreciate it as a mind-numbingly bad, but strangely watachable movie. I enjoy some of the action scenes.

Mechagodzilla was my childhood favorite and I still hold it as my number 2 G film; I love the pacing, music and set pieces, and I really like the character of Nanbara, he's just such an inconspicuous (lol) and shady badass. The other characters fall a bit short though (excepting Kurinuma) but at the same time its a serviceable cast.

Terror of MG bored me to sleep as a child and I missed all of the action scenes. I watched some clips online that got my pumped up to watch it again, but I watched it online and I was let down; I thought this movie suffered from atrocious pacing and that Godzilla had no presence in the film compared to the previous entries. I've got a grip against some of Honda's films for being overrated, and I think this is one of the prime examples of him burning out on kaiju films towards the end of his career.

Overall, I think the 70's films are most unique, fun, and exciting than their critically praised counterparts from the 60's. This was the peak of Godzilla's career imho.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Even as a kid I thought Megalon was pretty cheap in comparison to the rest of the films, I personally find it to be the worst of the series. I used to love Gigan, but it's flaws are much more apparent to me now. Still, it has a "so bad, it's good" vibe about it but it's still one of the films I revisit the least. Always loved Mechagodzilla, so no change there. I grew up with the Americanized version of ToM which almost a completely different movie. I like it much more now that I've seen the original cut. Never saw Hedorah as a kid, but I love it for how bold and strange it is.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I actually still hold the same opinions on them as I did when I was a child. I liked Godzilla vs Gigan, cant say how I feel about it now, have not seen it in years, ill have to watch it again. Hedorah I've always been on the fence about. just sort of bizzare. I loved Godzilla vs Megalon, in part probably because I loved bugs. As I got older I noticed the quality of the film and minimal effort that went into it. However, It still holds its charm for me. I enjoy the MechaG series alot more then I did before. Not that I hated it, but I didnt like seeing G get his butt kicked lol. Now I love em, because MG is just pure badass.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godzilla vs Hedorah = Strange in a good way and a fun movie
Godzilla vs Gigan = Not bad but not good either just kinda of a victim of low budget and the times
Godzilla vs Megalon = Goofy and silly but enjoyable monsters and a fun monster battle
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla = Pretty cool movie very solid.
Terror of Mechagodzilla = the worst showa Godzilla film imo

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Could you explain why you feel that way about ToM? I personally like it.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Terror of Mechagodzilla = the worst showa Godzilla film imo[/quote]
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S BLAAAAASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godzilla3000 wrote:Could you explain why you feel that way about ToM? I personally like it.
Well this is all my opinion but I will explain.
1: The plot is IMO very dull. It focused more on the biologist and Katsura (not 100% sure on the spelling) along with the doc and titanosaurus then Godzilla.
2: The final attack on Tokyo with Titanosaurus and Mechag is just an explosion fest. It doesn't really look cool or exciting its just stuff being blown up then blown away.
3: The effects are not as good as it should be but this was a time when Toho was cutting the budgets lower and lower for each kaiju film so that could be a budget issue
4: Godzilla isn't really in it that much.
5: The final fight is cool but overrated. Titano vs Godzilla was cool but mechag just kinda stood around watching.
6: Most of the characters were pretty boring. The doc and his daughters relationship was cool thugh.
this is just IMO so feel free to disagree

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla3000 wrote:Could you explain why you feel that way about ToM? I personally like it.
Well this is all my opinion but I will explain.
1: The plot is IMO very dull. It focused more on the biologist and Katsura (not 100% sure on the spelling) along with the doc and titanosaurus then Godzilla.
2: The final attack on Tokyo with Titanosaurus and Mechag is just an explosion fest. It doesn't really look cool or exciting its just stuff being blown up then blown away.
3: The effects are not as good as it should be but this was a time when Toho was cutting the budgets lower and lower for each kaiju film so that could be a budget issue
4: Godzilla isn't really in it that much.
5: The final fight is cool but overrated. Titano vs Godzilla was cool but mechag just kinda stood around watching.
6: Most of the characters were pretty boring. The doc and his daughters relationship was cool thugh.
this is just IMO so feel free to disagree
I reluctantly respect your opinion lol everyone's got one so its cool.....I guess. So with that said here's mine.
I 100% disagree with everything you just said, this is FAAAAAR from the worst Showa film, if you want bad Showa films look at Godzilla's Revenge; Megalaon; raids again and DAM. In my OPINION the human characters are some of the best in the entire series, this is in my OPINION the greatest Showa film of them all, also in my OPINION the final attack on Tokyo is some of the best destruction scenes in the entire franchise. But hey it's just my opinion lol I'm curious what would you change about it to make it a " better " film ???

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

I definitely agree with Godzillian about terror of mechagodzilla being a weak entry, due to Honda's overbearing dourness that saps the enjoyment out of the movie, the over-emphasis on the human drama, the absolute lack of presence that Godzilla has, the HORRENDOUS pacing that tries as hard as it can not to show any monster action (see Godzilla's "fight" with Titano during his first appearance), the distinctly mediocre effects, and the general turgidity of the film just make this one of the least enjoyable Showa films.

One big issue is how abortive many of the monster scenes are. Godzilla's fight with titanosaurus is cut short by the focus on Katsura; the destruction of Tokyo lasts all of 2 minutes; Godzilla's climactic face off with a headless Mechagodzilla is rendered symbolically and dramatically pointless by Katsura's suicide.

I know the effects criticism is kinda unfair, but after Gigan the quality really went downhill. Gigan a least had some impressive destruction sequences, good cinematography and well-staged monster action, but after 1972 a lot of the SFX has bad choreography, obvious wires, and isn't slowed down.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Why is it a bad thing that Godzilla only appears for a short amount of time?

ToMG is not supposed to be about Godzilla. And it doesn't need to be about Godzilla in order to be good.
Last edited by Dust_pan on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:OK, whoever is claiming that Terror had bad special effects better start naming instances of such, or else I'm disregarding every word they ay. The ONLY instance of bad special effects I can recall is the disappearing Katsura scene during Titanosaurus' first attack.
There's one matte shot where Titanosaurus seems to have no lower body and tower over a mountain.

Know why I can remember that one shot?

Because it's the exception in the midst of otherwise fantastic effects.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

eabaker wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:OK, whoever is claiming that Terror had bad special effects better start naming instances of such, or else I'm disregarding every word they ay. The ONLY instance of bad special effects I can recall is the disappearing Katsura scene during Titanosaurus' first attack.
There's one matte shot where Titanosaurus seems to have no lower body and tower over a mountain.

This. TOMG has some of the best special effects of the entire Showa series, you will never find any Godzilla movie that doesn't have some awkward mommemts, TOMG is no different, but the rest of the film fully makes up for a few questionable shots.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

eabaker wrote:

Titanosaurus biting godzillas lip then lifting him up

That part where mechag flips his hand to blow up the helicopter (its all wobbly and doesnt look mechanical like it should)

The sub spinning in the whirlpool looks very fake

The model of Titano under water is stiffy and move awkwardly when they use the sonic weapon on him

also "I dont agree with you so what you say doesn't matter" is just being a big baby

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Also, when Titano is being hit by the sonic ray near the end of the movie, why does he fold his hands behind his back?
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Godzilla3000 wrote:Also, when Titano is being hit by the sonic ray near the end of the movie, why does he fold his hands behind his back?
The suit actor was inside him backwards for this event.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Legion1979 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
That part where mechag flips his hand to blow up the helicopter (its all wobbly and doesnt look mechanical like it should)

The sub spinning in the whirlpool looks very fake

The model of Titano under water is stiffy and move awkwardly when they use the sonic weapon on him
How do you even enjoy Japanese monster movies/TV shows if this sort of stuff bothers you?
I never said it bothers me I'm giving examples of bad effects in this movie. This movie really just isn't enjoyable at all to me even if it had the greatest effects of kaiju films. When I watch this movie (which is rarely) I just skip to the kaiju parts since that's the highlight of the movie

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Dust_pan wrote:Why is it a bad thing that Godzilla only appears for a short amount of time?

ToMG is not supposed to be about Godzilla. And it doesn't need to be about Godzilla in order to be good.
Well, if I'm not mistaken ToMG is part of a little something called the Godzilla Series, not to mention that Godzilla's appearance is completely arbitrary and shoehorned in, much like in Megalon and Sea Monster. Godzilla is completely ignored for most of the movie (not counting the opening credits) and when he appears on the aliens' radar, its like "oh yeah, Godzilla is in this movie too".

I don't have too big of an issue with Godzilla having relatively little screen time, but he's basically put out to pasture in ToMG, and its insulting coming from Honda.

Lets see, bad effects work:

ToMG has plenty of stock footage. Mismatched shots of tanks in the country side firing at Titanosaurus in the middle of Tokyo? Check. Mechagodzilla's all-out-attack and Godzilla's charge? Almost entirely lifted from the previous movie. I don't mind stock footage, but in this case, its lazy.

Also, there's some fairly mediocre ray effects for Godzilla; those awful and wobbly flying saucers at the end; the terrible "anti-gravity" wire-work; Titanosaurus flinging Godzilla around by the jaw; the infamous "knee-deep in the city" matte shots that are badly, badly out of scale; and Mechagodzilla's final explosion isn't as good as in the last movie.