Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Godzilla vs Hedorah
21%
Godzilla vs Gigan
21%
Godzilla vs Megalon
46%
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
4%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
7%

Total votes: 149

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Post by mikelcho »

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
To me, the kaiju communicating via dialogue balloons was a really nice fit with the manga theme of the movie. It's a shame that they didn't reproduce the effect for the U.S. release.
This this this this THIS.

It's always been such a gripe of mine that we've never seen the dialogue balloons in any U.S. Release.

As much as I love my blu-rays, I've often considered rebuying my entire collection as the straight up Japanese versions. Just for those little differences that haven't transferred over.
Yes! Agreed! I really want a version where that is included.

...Actually, I would be surprised if our fan-edit community hasn't done that already.

...Actually, I could very easily do that if someone wants to help with ripping the blu-ray scene.
I remember seeing the word balloons and hearing the dialogue at the same time and in the same scene on the Sony (then known as Tristar) release. Didn't they repeat this on the Kraken release?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

No, I believe it has neither. The international print, I think?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
This this this this THIS.

It's always been such a gripe of mine that we've never seen the dialogue balloons in any U.S. Release.

As much as I love my blu-rays, I've often considered rebuying my entire collection as the straight up Japanese versions. Just for those little differences that haven't transferred over.
Yes! Agreed! I really want a version where that is included.

...Actually, I would be surprised if our fan-edit community hasn't done that already.

...Actually, I could very easily do that if someone wants to help with ripping the blu-ray scene.
I remember seeing the word balloons and hearing the dialogue at the same time and in the same scene on the Sony (then known as Tristar) release. Didn't they repeat this on the Kraken release?
My Sony release doesn't have the word balloons. Weird.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

^i think it’s cause the Sony releases just splice the American cut with the Japanese audio. Sounds to me almost more difficult than just having both versions but there you go.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Sony never released any of the American versions, just a mix of "international" versions with digitally recreated credits (Son of Godzilla, Ebirah, and Gigan), and versions with original, film-sourced (English) export visuals (Hedorah, Mechagodzilla).

The balloons were present in the 35mm print of the international version that I saw screened at G-Fest '08, but they've never appeared on any home video release in the States. Oddly enough, they did show up in one of the old Sc-Fi Channel showings. The balloons are absolutely not on the Sony DVD, and the Kraken is the exact same transfer, just in 1080p.

I believe the Sony DVD was based off of a textless element (the opening credits, title card, and End card are all digital recreations; which was also the case for the two '60s films they released), which is probably why the balloons weren't there. I guess it was an oversight on their part.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Goji wrote:Sony never released any of the American versions, just a mix of "international" versions with digitally recreated credits (Son of Godzilla, Ebirah, and Gigan), and versions with original, film-sourced (English) export visuals (Hedorah, Mechagodzilla).

The balloons were present in the 35mm print of the international version that I saw screened at G-Fest '08, but they've never appeared on any home video release in the States. Oddly enough, they did show up in one of the old Sc-Fi Channel showings. The balloons are absolutely not on the Sony DVD, and the Kraken is the exact same transfer, just in 1080p.

I believe the Sony DVD was based off of a textless element (the opening credits, title card, and End card are all digital recreations; which was also the case for the two '60s films they released), which is probably why the balloons weren't there. I guess it was an oversight on their part.
Okay, I guess that I was mistaken. And yet, I was so sure...Oh, well-you can't win 'em all.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

But really, all that means is a nice clean background plate to add English word balloons into. Are we sure no one has done this already?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I know this is immensely off topic, but it goes back to the comment I made about tracking down the Japanese version of Gigan.

So, over the years I got all those Silver Cased DVDs, the Kraken Blu Rays, the Sony Blu rays, whatever release was put out in the US, I ordered it. I even have the Media Blasters (I think that's who made them?) Destroy All Monsters and Megalon releases.

I've never purchased the straight from Japan versions, as I don't speak Japanese, and kiiiiinda need Subtitles. But I've gotten the Japanese versions with subtitles through *other methods*. From you older members on here, is it really worth tracking down the rest of the catalog this way?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Goji wrote:Oddly enough, they did show up in one of the old Sc-Fi Channel showings.
Can confirm, since that's the only version I've ever watched, haha.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:How was it that the late film critic Vincent Canby actually gave Godzilla Vs Megalon a positive review, yet negative ones to both G'85 and GTTHM, two of the more respected films in the series?
If one approaches this genre with an assumption that the movies are garbage, one will find oneself liking the ones that are obviously garbage more than the well-crafted entries, because the well-crafted entries will function according to mechanics one cannot grasp, whereas the obvious garbage will feel like the movies performing at the expected level.
If I'm not mistaken, you're saying he must've felt 1985 was guilty of trying to be something more than what he expected Godzilla to be.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:How was it that the late film critic Vincent Canby actually gave Godzilla Vs Megalon a positive review, yet negative ones to both G'85 and GTTHM, two of the more respected films in the series?
If one approaches this genre with an assumption that the movies are garbage, one will find oneself liking the ones that are obviously garbage more than the well-crafted entries, because the well-crafted entries will function according to mechanics one cannot grasp, whereas the obvious garbage will feel like the movies performing at the expected level.
If I'm not mistaken, you're saying he must've felt 1985 was guilty of trying to be something more than what he expected Godzilla to be.
Not necessarily that, so much as that more broadly it neither failed in the ways he expected nor succeeded in ways he could grasp.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Silent.Séance
Ronin

Post by Silent.Séance »

For me, Godzilla Vs. Megalon and Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster were pretty neck and neck. I'm not sure what it is about these two that I find "off". The only answer I can offer is the "style" of those films.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Silent.Séance wrote:For me, Godzilla Vs. Megalon and Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster were pretty neck and neck. I'm not sure what it is about these two that I find "off". The only answer I can offer is the "style" of those films.
At the very least, vs Hedorah has some really neat visual storytelling, as well as a message that's built into the fabric of the film rather than tacked on in the last few minutes like certain other Godzilla films.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.