Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Godzilla vs Hedorah
21%
Godzilla vs Gigan
21%
Godzilla vs Megalon
46%
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
4%
Terror of Mechagodzilla
7%

Total votes: 149

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Re: Least Favorite '70's Godzilla film

Post by GalacticPetey »

Megalon's probably the lowest for me. I enjoy Hedorah for the villain monster, Gigan for it's fun monster battle, and the two Mechagodzilla films for several reasons. Megalon just does't do it as well for me. But it does have Jet Jaguar. I'll give it that.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

LiquidG wrote:
KaijuAlertSystem wrote:Really surprised by the hate for Godzilla vs Hedorah. Might honestly be my favorite of the 70's films.
It's definitely my second favorite 70s film. Really great film
Hedorah is really a mess. People try to say that it is different and unique, which is true, but the writing is bad, the characters are cardboard cutouts without any memorable traits, and the film just shambles from scene to scene without any sort of urgency. It has an interesting message, and a cool villain, but they get wasted by the poor storytelling and complete lack of a stationary tone. Either a movie of this sort is serious with dashes of humor, or its humorous through and through with an edge of danger. Hedorah ranges all over the place and never feels cohesive; it feels like one big mood swing and this style doesn't work for a Godzilla film.

Also, terrible choreography and filming of the kaiju battle, and awful pacing that ruins any sense of excitement. And Tomuyuki Tanaka hated it, and considering he created Godzilla thats a pretty big indication that this film isn't good.

Sorry to crap on a film you enjoy, but this is a discussion forum after all. I've just never understood why people like this movie and consider it great. Its... different, but I would never call it one of the best.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

I enjoy Hedorah. a lot of fun and superior to Gigan or Megalon IMO
The United Nations are represented by the little brightly-colored dolphin boat.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

mechabrent wrote:I enjoy Hedorah. a lot of fun and superior to Gigan or Megalon IMO
Do explain, GIgan is my favorite Godzilla film. I'd like to know how Smog Monster is superior.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

MustafaDaisenso wrote:
mechabrent wrote:I enjoy Hedorah. a lot of fun and superior to Gigan or Megalon IMO
Do explain, GIgan is my favorite Godzilla film. I'd like to know how Smog Monster is superior.
INCREDIBLY different monster than the norm. Very unique movie over all, brutal fight scenes, a little ridiculous (Godzilla flying etc) but a fun and very of the time sort of film. Gigan used too much stock footage and had Godzilla and Anguirus talk to each other, which I was not a fan of. It also did not really fulfill IMO on the promise of an epic fight between Ghidorah, Gigan, Godzilla, and Anguirus.
I enjoy Gigan more than Megalon but I prefer Hedorah to Gigan in terms of films. In terms of actual enemy though Gigan beats out Hedorah just because of the coolness factor of chainsaw stomach.

All in all they are both good films, I just feel that Hedorah is unique enough that it beats out Gigan (just barely). We have seen movies with similar plots to G vs G but G vs H is enough of a departure that it does not feel like a retread.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

I'm going to have to agree with mechabrent on this, Hedorah is indeed the better film, on both a film making stand point and in fun factor, I still love Gigan a lot but Hedorah wins out in my opinion, and it's not because of nostalgia either, I saw Hedorah at least 4 years after I saw Gigan and it still left an impression on me.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

While Hedorah has less stock footage and obviously more of a budget, I think that Gigan has a better soundtrack, a better ending battle, and a better cast of characters. The characters in Gigan are entertaining to watch compared to the ones in its predecessor. Hedorah presents fresh ideas and this does make it unique, however, the film's execution of the ideas are rather messy. Something that both films suffer from are slow monster battles and I think Hedorah was worst in that respect. Compared to the earlier films (Monster Zero or Destroy All Monsters), the fights are almost lifeless or tame. Though I imagine that this is related to budgeting issues.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

kamilleblu wrote:While Hedorah has less stock footage and obviously more of a budget, I think that Gigan has a better soundtrack, a better ending battle, and a better cast of characters. The characters in Gigan are entertaining to watch compared to the ones in its predecessor. Hedorah presents fresh ideas and this does make it unique, however, the film's execution of the ideas are rather messy. Something that both films suffer from are slow monster battles and I think Hedorah was worst in that respect. Compared to the earlier films (Monster Zero or Destroy All Monsters), the fights are almost lifeless or tame. Though I imagine that this is related to budgeting issues.
That is something I love about Gigan over Hedorah is its characters, most are funny as shit, like the hippy dude with the corn " Gun " :lol:
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

He didn't really "create" Godzilla either. That was one, big, collaborative group effort.

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

Tyler wrote:
MustafaDaisenso wrote:And Tomuyuki Tanaka hated it, and considering he created Godzilla thats a pretty big indication that this film isn't good.
Well the guy also approved of stuff like All Monsters Attack and Megalon so I don't think it really matters.
Yeah haha Hedorah EASILY beats AMA. But it is prob one of the weakest of the movies IMO. I do not LOATHE it, I own it on DVD but if I want to watch a Godzilla film and not laugh my ass off at how goofy and bad it is I will not watch AMA. That Satanic Barney voice for the dub Minya still haunts me.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Godzilla vs Megalon, but not by much. I do enjoy that movie, but it just doesn't quite live up to the other seventies movies, except maybe Godzilla vs Gigan, but I've always had a soft spot for that particular movie.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Brooklyn's Revenge
GPN Volunteer

Post by Brooklyn's Revenge »

Ah man, I like all these movies. In fact Terror of MechaGodzilla is my all time favorite Godzilla movie. I guess Godzilla vs Gigan cause the stock footage use was so noticeable. Godzilla vs Megalon also had terrible stock footage, but I thought Godzilla was more bad-ass in that one so it wins the day.

mechabrent
Monarch Researcher

Post by mechabrent »

Brooklyn's Revenge wrote:Ah man, I like all these movies. In fact Terror of MechaGodzilla is my all time favorite Godzilla movie. I guess Godzilla vs Gigan cause the stock footage use was so noticeable. Godzilla vs Megalon also had terrible stock footage, but I thought Godzilla was more bad-ass in that one so it wins the day.
In Megalon he wasn't badass enough IMO. Too much Jet Jaguar. Gigan had the stock footage and talking Godzilla. I too love ToMG however. Definitely the best MG film.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Godzilla vs. Megalon. It's not my cup of tea, but I know that it has its own following.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Brooklyn's Revenge
GPN Volunteer

mechabrent wrote:
Brooklyn's Revenge wrote:Ah man, I like all these movies. In fact Terror of MechaGodzilla is my all time favorite Godzilla movie. I guess Godzilla vs Gigan cause the stock footage use was so noticeable. Godzilla vs Megalon also had terrible stock footage, but I thought Godzilla was more bad-ass in that one so it wins the day.
In Megalon he wasn't badass enough IMO. Too much Jet Jaguar. Gigan had the stock footage and talking Godzilla. I too love ToMG however. Definitely the best MG film.
Oh wait, I forgot about that! I do love talking Godzilla and his voice that I imagine was supplied by an elderly ogre. "There's somethin funny goin on"!

But Godzilla vs Megalon has one of my favorite G moments which is him showing up on mopping the floor with Gigan and Megalon in like half a minute. THAT is my Godzilla!

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Brooklyn's Revenge wrote:But Godzilla vs Megalon has one of my favorite G moments which is him showing up on mopping the floor with Gigan and Megalon in like half a minute. THAT is my Godzilla!
With a tree, no less.

Godzilla vs Megalon had the lamest story and characters of the 70's films, but it also had some of funnest monster moments of the entire series. Gigan and Megalon in particular were awesome together, like the perfect kaiju comedy duo... Or something.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Brooklyn's Revenge
GPN Volunteer

^
But if serious, I would love examples of Godzilla vs Megalon's subtle nuance.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Godzilla represents America in it's role as protector of Japan from foreign aggressors.

Japan is represented by Jet Jaguar; technologically advanced, small, but growing quickly to face the future, leaving the past behind.

The ghosts of wars past and those who must punish Japan for their war crimes are of course Megalon, a powerful but somewhat inept kaiju representing China and their rage over the Rape of Nanking.
This is the best post I've ever read on this board. No, seriously.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Brooklyn's Revenge wrote:^
Godzilla represents America in it's role as protector of Japan from foreign aggressors.

Japan is represented by Jet Jaguar; technologically advanced, small, but growing quickly to face the future, leaving the past behind.

The ghosts of wars past and those who must punish Japan for their war crimes are of course Megalon, a powerful but somewhat inept kaiju representing China and their rage over the Rape of Nanking.

Likewise, Gigan must have his pound of flesh from Japan and America for their offenses, representing Korea.

Lastly, the United Nations are represented by the little brightly-colored dolphin boat.
That whole thing really is beautiful, but that last line… priceless!
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Brooklyn's Revenge
GPN Volunteer

Doctor Kaiju wrote:
Brooklyn's Revenge wrote:^

Likewise, Gigan must have his pound of flesh from Japan and America for their offenses, representing Korea.

Lastly, the United Nations are represented by the little brightly-colored dolphin boat.
I thought this was a bit till that last line, but then I realized your rational is beyond my limits, and Godzilla vs Megalon is indeed art of the highest caliber. I must now go rethink my life.