Most Powerful: Mechagodzilla 74 or 75?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
wolf36
Yojimbo

Most Powerful: Mechagodzilla 74 or 75?

Post by wolf36 »

I am not sure if this has been discussed before? It probably has, but I am fairly new to the forum so please forgive me if this is redundant.

When watching Mechagodzilla 74 and 75 it seems that in the films they imply that the 75 version is the more powerful of the two. I guess the idea is that Dr. Mafune's control device would make Mechagodzilla more independant. Also I suppose the revolving missiles are supposed to be more devastating, but when viewing these films it is hard to see the 75 version as the more powerful.

The 74 version defeats Angilas and then takes on Seesar and Godzilla by itself. It also battles Godzilla to a stalemate earlier in the film. This first version of Mechagodzilla seems dominant, and short of an incredible effort from our Earth heroes and Godzilla's new super magnetic energy earth would be a colony for the Third Planet of the Black Hole.

In contrast the 75 version battles Godzilla once and brings back up in Titanosaurus. In Terror of Mecha G, Titanosaurus actually does more of the battling, with Mecha G mainly watching and firing ranged weaponry to aid in Titano's attack. Once Godzilla finally struggles through every energy and missile MEcha G can throw at him Godzilla quickly knocks off his head. True the Mecha G brain seemed to have a devastating laser weapon, and if Katsura had not done the right thing maybe Mecha G would have won the day, but still, the 75 version seems less mobile, less defensive, and kind of slow?

A couple other things:
- once you break something and rebuild it, it is rarely stronger than before.
- the Third Planet Aliens were on a clock, perhaps their resources were much more depleted for the second attempt
- and one last one, why weren't the Third Planet Aliens the same in Terror? I see the face get ripped off in ToMG but the alien looks less Simian, maybe this was a directorial choice?

Ok, I'd love to hear what people have to say, maybe this is obvious, if thats the case lets bring MG2 and Kiryu into it, I still go MG74 all the way.
When the red moon sets, and the sun rises in the West, two monsters will appear to save the people.

kiryu42red
Interpol Agent

Re: Most Powerful: Mechagodzilla 74 or 75?

Post by kiryu42red »

i don't really know which one to choose. cause 74's had a ray shield, bu 75 could only be defeated if the cyborg chick died.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Eh, TECNICALLY, the latter version is stronger because he should have all the previous powers as the original but I think we are all goin off the powers used in the movie appearences. While 74 feets were impressive, he has to fight MUCH differently than his later counterpart. The latter version watched as titano beat the crap outta G and occasionally shot him when necessary. I wouldn't say that means he is weaker because well, he was beaten before by physical combat, he is utilizing a different strategy. So it's hard to compare the two as the scenarios they fought in were very very different. I'd say the latter version wins this because, well he has dat cyborg thing goin for him and also his missiles are better. As far as I know the shield Thingy only blocks ray attacks not missiles. Oh and while the 74 version melee fought alot, don't forget the 75 version beat Godzilla to the ground EASILY when Godzilla clearly had the upper hand when he did the,"outta my way" to titano when the jets came. Sooooo I'd say strength is a non factor

As far as the while, 75 being rushed an isn't better do to him being broke then fixed, well he is actually an entirely new mechagodzilla as the other one cometly exploded. Do you not remember the tiny flakes of metal falling in the ocean, that's what was left. So that's another non factor. As far as him being rushed, I'd say no on that as they had blueprints of the last and knew what to fix. Also they seemed pretty lax about it so as far as there planet being destroyed, they probably had plenty of time. Now for resources, they probably would have mentioned something Long the lines of we don't have enough metal or something but it's highly unlikely. Why put a scientist in there that will need a bunch of materials to improve mechagodzilla's brain if your low on the ol space titanium.

So there is my speel. Those be my thoughts
Resized Image

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

As far as combat performance goes, MechaG '74 was certainly the better all around fighting machine. He was every bit as effective in hand to hand as he was with ranged weaponry, and he beat Anguirus and King Caesar to a pulp during the film. He also exhibited more techniques (the forcefield) which were not shown and assumedly not present in the '75 model.

The '75 version was made to be weaker because it was not expected to have to fight hand to hand with Godzilla, as they hoped Titanosaurus could keep him at bay or kill him before he could close in for CQB. Clearly that was a miscalculation on their part.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

They're basically the same thing. One just has stronger missiles and a backup head.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The 74 MG was stronger as it was more versatile. As someone said, it could fight well hand to hand and blasting away with lasers and missiles. That made it a better fighting machine.

The 75 version boasts some impressive firepower, but is pretty much a mobile weapons platform. The laser head could well have taken down Godzilla, but the 75 robot couldn't handle Godzilla up close and personal.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Mecha G 75' was probably the "Most Powerful" given the tunnling claw missiles, as well tha ability to still opperate without it's head.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Mecha-G 75 due to the fact it was still working without his head.
Yooo 8-)

daijinryuu775489
Samurai

Post by daijinryuu775489 »

I originally tended to lean toward the concept that Mechagodzilla '75 was more powerful on paper and more strategically advanced/focused, since it had better missiles and less vulnerability with respect to its head. However, since it has both effective long ranged attacks and excellent melee abilities, I really think that Mechagodzilla '74 was the better version.
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!"

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:They're basically the same thing. One just has stronger missiles and a backup head.
this.

though that backup head was a pretty effective "surprise" weapon, that in and of itself might just tip the scales in terms of power towards '75

I would hazard that '74 was probably more durable though
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

The 74 version certainly had better "AI". It could fight well up close and from afar....75 just stood there and occasionally fired projectiles...one reason I don't care much for TOMG.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Yeah, '75 MG is the more powerful mech (upgraded weapons and whatnot), but '74 MG was was controlled much more effectively. The Simians knew what they were doing. Katsura, on the other hand...
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Irys X wrote:Yeah, '75 MG is the more powerful mech (upgraded weapons and whatnot), but '74 MG was was controlled much more effectively. The Simians knew what they were doing. Katsura, on the other hand...
I haven't watched "Terror" in quite awhile, but, was Katsura responsible for controlling MG and Titnosaurus? If so perhaps it was too much for her to efficiently guide MechaGodzilla...I just find that to be an odd strategy, since in the previous film, MG didn't seem to need any more direction than "Kill King Seesar while he's sleeping" and "Beat Godzilla to death!", but who knows what was being done at the control panel....
SAVE_US.GDZ

obs
Yojimbo

Post by obs »

I find that in theory, Mechagodzilla 75 is more powerful then Mechagodzilla 75. That's due to the fact that the 75 model is better equipped. However, the fact that a Human is in-directly controlling the Mecha makes things much more challenging. As, Human's emotions can change and be controlled. Thus leading to problems with the robot.
Tokusatsu, above all else.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

I'm rather certain that after Katsura was shot and took that fall, she was operated on by the Simians, at which point they implanted the control devices for both Titanosaurus and Mechagodzilla into her. This is evidenced later by her eyes flashing before a particularly powerful attack by Titano or MG. I didn't think of this before, but the challenge of piloting two monsters simultaneously could very well account for MG's lackluster efficiency in combat compared to the first movie. Usually, it was Titano battling G with MG firing a shot or two in whenever G got the upper hand. This also could have been the strategy the Simians mentioned earlier; allow Titano to die in battle with Godzilla and then have MG finish off a weakened G.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

MG 75 was more powerful without a doubt. He had a shit ton of firepower.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:They're basically the same thing. One just has stronger missiles and a backup head.
exactly
Resized Image

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

I'd say 75 was more powerful due to his rotating missiles and backup head laser. But 75 wasn't as good with melee attacks as 74 was. 75 assisted more than he actually fought like 74 did. Am I making sense? :lol:
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

74 mechaG is stronger IMO. 75 had some missiles that made a bigger boom and a second head which I'd say are its only real improvements over the 74. The cyborg girl is a strength and a weakness. While it gives that mechag faster reflexes it also leaves a HUGE weakness since if she gets killed 75 is shut down no matter what its doing. I think that if 74 had is AI upgraded and given the missiles and second head of the 75 it would've been the ultimate anti-godzilla weapon.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

gigan72 wrote:I guess its time to make a post here. I will only say MG 75 because the black hole aliens themselves said this MG was updated, so why wouldn't it be stronger than their first one, which failed?
That is true but the fact that it is controlled by a cyborg women really is a big weakness. If she gets killed mechag turns off no matter what its doing. I'd say it would be stronger if they just gave it a better AI.