Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Re: The KKE Kong suit: Your thoughts

Post by Dogbert »

*calms down* Why did you steel my thread?
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

Kugasami wrote:*calms down* Why did you steel my thread?
Easy dude, I joined earlier this month, I didn't remember seeing a thread. No need to make three raging posts about me "stealing" anything.

Peace.

Anyways, on a whole I think Nakajima gives a good performance as Kong, not one of his best, but a good one nonetheless. Its interesting to see him play Kong after getting beat by him back 1962.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Post by edgaguirus »

The body of the suit isn't bad, but the head doesn't work for me. The KK vs G suit had a head that worked better.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Well they are both just as cartoony, both this and the 1962 design.
Yooo 8-)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I think you guys are being too kind, the Kong suit in this movie is AWFUL. It's probably the worst thing about King Kong Escapes! I might've enjoyed the movie a lot more had the suit not been so distractingly bad.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I remember seeing the suit for the first time I watched this film and thinking it looked horrible.

However, I remember reading something about Tsuburaya not wanting Kong to look threatening to children in both of the Toho movies with King Kong.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

MustafaDaisenso wrote:I'm conflicted (or is it Kong-flicted? ;) ) about this one, because I feel that the suit fits with the cartoony nature of the film, but at times its almost worse than the 1962 Kong suit. It is, however, decidedly more ape-like than its predecessor. Pretty decent suit on a whole: Image

One thing for sure, is that the water suit is horrendous, the proportions are beyond terrible. they stuck a new head on one of the old 1962 suits, and the result is this monstrosity: Image

In any case, what are your thoughts? Its quite an entertaining movie, not sure how many G fans have seen it though

:freak: that's my reaction to the scary, horrible Kong water suit from KKE.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Dr. Nishiyama
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dr. Nishiyama »

I've read Tsuburaya wanted the KK Escapes Kong to look just like the '33 version, but the Rankin Bass producers wanted a friendlier look to go with the cartoon the movie was "based" off of resulting in Kong looking like Homer Simpson. Never found the suit that bad looking, but the water scenes on the other hand, with using the '62 suit with the '67 mask, was jarring to say the very least

Just Plain Dan
G-Force Personnel

Post by Just Plain Dan »

While I do prefer it over the '62 Kong suit, this is still a pick your poison topic for me.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

MustafaDaisenso wrote:Image
Wow! He must have shrunk in the wash!

Anyways, it's hard for me to decide which suit I prefer. With King Kong Escapes, it definitely has a cartoon ape look to it. Heck, King Kong Escapes in the movie that I think of whenever I imagine what "Donkey Kong: The Movie" would look like if it existed.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I'm a fan of King Kong, but I can't stand the Toho Kong. He looks terrible! Too fake, too silly.

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Post by Man of Steel »

Killswitch wrote:I'm a fan of King Kong, but I can't stand the Toho Kong. He looks terrible! Too fake, too silly.
I absolutely agree with you, Killswitch.

With RKO/Paramount/Universal Kong, I could take him seriously - but with Toho Kong, I just laughed at every scene he was in. He didn't even resemble King Kong in the slightest!
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

TheGodzilla wrote:
Killswitch wrote:I'm a fan of King Kong, but I can't stand the Toho Kong. He looks terrible! Too fake, too silly.
I absolutely agree with you, Killswitch.

With RKO/Paramount/Universal Kong, I could take him seriously - but with Toho Kong, I just laughed at every scene he was in. He didn't even resemble King Kong in the slightest!
Well, KKvsG was a comedy, so you were supposed to be laughing. And even KKE is a cartoonish movie by design, and a more "serious" Kong would be totally out of place.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Man of Steel
Gotengo Officer

Post by Man of Steel »

eabaker wrote:Well, KKvsG was a comedy, so you were supposed to be laughing. And even KKE is a cartoonish movie by design, and a more "serious" Kong would be totally out of place.
That's actually very true... But even if Toho had ever done a "serious" Kong film with the Toho design, I just wouldn't have been able to take it seriously at all. Every time I look at him, even if it's just for a second, I can't help but laugh my face off.
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe
that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every
moment - because they'll never come again."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: Generations)

:godzilla: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla:
GO AND FOLLOW MY TUMBLR
http://trexgoesroar.tumblr.com

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

TheGodzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:Well, KKvsG was a comedy, so you were supposed to be laughing. And even KKE is a cartoonish movie by design, and a more "serious" Kong would be totally out of place.
That's actually very true... But even if Toho had ever done a "serious" Kong film with the Toho design, I just wouldn't have been able to take it seriously at all. Every time I look at him, even if it's just for a second, I can't help but laugh my face off.
Of course, either of those designs would have been totally wrong for a more serious Kong film.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ArchdukeCaligula
Monsterland Worker

Post by ArchdukeCaligula »

I honestly like the '67 suit, it looks ape-like in a way. I also think it kind of looks like it would be paired with the 1967 Godzilla suit, they both kind of look like Homer Simpson :lol:
But that water King Kong suit will be in my nightmares :freak:
HayesAJones wrote:
ArchdukeCaligula wrote:The Giant Behemoth(does that thing have a name)
He answers to Franklin.
JAGzilla wrote:^ What... the skreeonk… has gone wrong in your life that this level of hatred is directed at a cartoon three-year-old? :lol:

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

I'm pretty interested in the Raymundo figure, not gonna pay $50 for it on tempting toys though...

Anyways, pretty cool suit, I've always liked both toho Kong suits equally, but out of the two, I prefer the '63 suit more TBH. I'd take the feral and beastly looking Kong over the cartoony one any day.

But then again, I'd take Mechani-Kong over both Kongs in a heartbeat...
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I know I've said it a dozen times or more, but I saw better ape suits on the Little Rascals and The Three Stooges. lol

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Baaad lol
"A monster can live forever"

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

It looks very very bad in my opinion. One of Toho's worst suits.