Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby GojiDog » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:10 am

They really dropped the ball with Kong's look in both movies they used him in.

Which is only made more baffling by the existence of War of the Gargantuas where both Sanda and Gailah look similar to a creature like Kong (simian-esque looking creatures) and look great! If the Kong suits in KKVG and KKE looked as good as those, we'd have been golden.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:00 pm

The Gargantuas are based more on Frank than Kong. Their bodies could be seen ape like, but their faces are very human.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
realinvaderdesign
Yojimbo
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby realinvaderdesign » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:13 am

i think the kong escapes suit gives a lot of uncanny valley vibes, i think its mainly because the eyes seem dead, maybe if they gave the mask eye holes like the gargantuas or the kong 76 suit then it could of worked better.

Gorosaurus and mechani kong are the best suits in the movie
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Image

User avatar
realinvaderdesign
Yojimbo
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby realinvaderdesign » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Image

If you look at them long enough you turn to stone

Also i just noticed kongs wierd metal rod finger tips

starting to think the kong suit in this film was an actual gorilla skin that had shrunk in the wash then pulled onto a metal armature at this point
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Online
User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6335
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:25 pm

realinvaderdesign wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Image

If you look at them long enough you turn to stone

Also i just noticed kongs wierd metal rod finger tips

starting to think the kong suit in this film was an actual gorilla skin that had shrunk in the wash then pulled onto a metal armature at this point

Hmmm, I wonder what those are for. Are they part of the interior of the suit, or exterior things to help the actor grasp whatever, or hold whatever in place (like do they lock into something?).
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2073
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Those rods are conductors, for when he needs to randomly get hit with lightning and gain random frankenstein electricity powers. ClearLY!
Image

User avatar
realinvaderdesign
Yojimbo
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby realinvaderdesign » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:15 pm

KingKaiju wrote:Those rods are conductors, for when he needs to randomly get hit with lightning and gain random frankenstein electricity powers. ClearLY!

maybe they act as a retractable rake when he is digging tunnels in the film

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2073
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby KingKaiju » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:24 pm

realinvaderdesign wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Those rods are conductors, for when he needs to randomly get hit with lightning and gain random frankenstein electricity powers. ClearLY!

maybe they act as a retractable rake when he is digging tunnels in the film


Exactly! Plus those convenientaly placed boulders are slippery.
Image

User avatar
realinvaderdesign
Yojimbo
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby realinvaderdesign » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:12 pm

KingKaiju wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Those rods are conductors, for when he needs to randomly get hit with lightning and gain random frankenstein electricity powers. ClearLY!

maybe they act as a retractable rake when he is digging tunnels in the film


Exactly! Plus those convenientaly placed boulders are slippery.

those pesky stryrofoam boulders

Online
User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6335
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:20 pm

realinvaderdesign wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote:maybe they act as a retractable rake when he is digging tunnels in the film


Exactly! Plus those convenientaly placed boulders are slippery.

those pesky stryrofoam boulders

In all honesty, picking up X while in a kaiju suit is probably really difficult. The suit itself weighs a ton, but then it obviously messes with your coordination, and that's before thinking about what is and isn't visible.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2073
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby KingKaiju » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 am

Which is another reason as to why Nakajima will forever be THE man!
Image

User avatar
Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent
Posts: 636
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby Dino-Mario » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Both Toho Kong suits are awful, but at least the 62 suit is somewhat more bearable than the 67 one, which pretty much amplified the uncanny valley factor for worse.
Image Image

User avatar
Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:29 pm

Little off topic but here's King Kong fighting the Statue of Liberty from a manga adaptation of the Rankin Bass cartoon that inspired KKE.

Image
Image
Image

Why isn't this a live action movie?

User avatar
Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:18 am

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:32 am

I always just wished that we had gotten a rematch between Godzilla and Kong either in the late Showa series (maybe after ToMG) or early Heisei series (between Return and Biollante or something). Imagine a King Kong vs Godzilla rematch with the MegaroGoji or BioGoji suits going up against the 1976/1986 King Kong suits. Maybe it's that one anniversary DVD box art design that got me thinking about it...

Image
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

Image
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: Thoughts on the king kong escapes suit.

Postby daveblackeye15 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:57 pm



Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests