Monster Discussion #12: King Kong

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: What do you think of the KKvG version of Kong?

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

James23873 wrote:I have to admit that I've only seen the American version of KKvG. And it suggests that Kong and Godzilla were instinctively heading for each other. That always made me think that Kong would have gone back for him eventually anyways. What about the Japanese version? Does it say why the two crossed paths in the first encounter?
I've only seen the American version too. And while it seems like Kong and Godzilla instinctively head towards one another, after the first fight, it seemed like Kong wanted to stay far away from Godzilla, and never go near him again, unless he wanted to be burned to death.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I've always thought that, too. It seemed like Kong only fought the second time out of desparation, though he became more confident and aggressive once the lightning supercharged him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

He was literally forced to fight Godzilla the second time, and was getting his ass kicked until the storm happened, which is what gave him the "confidence" to up his game.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

yea, had it not been for the storm and lightning KK wouldn't stand for king kong...it would stand for krispy kritter.

LuisH
Ronin

Re: Monster Discussion #12: King Kong

Post by LuisH »

Outside of the original 1933 film, the Toho Kong is the best interpretation of the character that exists.

He is just a badass in the '62 film. He is as big as Godzilla, he has super strength and he has electricity powers to even out his fight with Godzilla.

His costume looks so stupid, it becomes cool. Toho did such a half-ass job with the suit that it turned out to actually be awesome.

Mahemium
Ronin

Post by Mahemium »

Where does Toho Kong fit on the Showa Totem Pole? I wouldn't think he would be on King Ghidorah/Hedorah/Mecha-Godzilla level, but he's definitely up there. Could he give Gigan a run for his money?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Large animals don't like to fight each other. It's rare to see a wolf and bear actually go head to head or a lion and a cheetah fight it out. The same can be applied to kong and godzilla. They gave each other space since they didn't want to really fight. Kong being smart probably remembered Godzilla's breath which was what drove him away when they first met and figured a fight wasn't worth the risk.

Kong is probably one of the stronger monsters in the showa series. I'd say he is up there with Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra.

Alienshroom
Young Farmer

Post by Alienshroom »

I always thought this Kong looked like a true classic showa era monster. He is also extremely unique in the Godzilla universe. One of my favorites.

DocVape
Yojimbo

Post by DocVape »

all i remember about this kong was

A)It was on every thanksgiving in the early 80's
B)He was a drunk

He would always drink all that stuff in the village, get drunk and passed out, like grandpa

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'll say one thing: Toho Kong has the best roar of all Kong versions.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

I've got mixed feelings about Toho's '62 King Kong.

First, the film itself: Didn't care much for the US dub, liked the Japanese sub. I dunno what they thought they were doing with the added US scenes, but they're aweful. They spend the whole film either explaining what you just saw or what you're going to see in the most disjointed, confusing, and unnecessary way. It was laughable, that's about it. The original unedited story is much more fun and you can see how it would eventually influence later '60s films in its comical tone while still, you know, making sense...

As for King Kong himself: My main gripe is that you can tell the role was written for Frankenstein, and they do very little to change it in order to fit Kong into the role. All they really do is throw in a scene where he grabs a girl and climbs a building with little pay-off. The electricity thing doesn't fit at all and is never explained. Most the powers shown by monsters in the Showa series make an odd kind of sense, but that power really only makes sense when you know who was originally meant to be in the role. Also I see no reason why Kong didn't just run away when he was forced to encounter big G the second time. He was clearly still out matched, and he was quick enough to run the first time.

That's not to say I dislike King Kong, I just wish they'd gone about it in a different way when they changed the role. Like, how about King Kong continues to pursue the girl but she becomes trapped by Godzilla, prompting Kong to attack him despite knowing he's horribly outmatched. Kong gets beat on for a while protecting the girl until the military come in and use the Soma rain on Godzilla, making him drowsy and giving Kong the upper hand. Or maybe Kong sees Godzilla touch an electric wire and back off, so he grabs a live pylon and shoves it down his throat, thus using his wits over Godzilla's brute strength to win.

I dunno, I just feel it was a bit of a wasted character used just for the name as is.

Mahemium
Ronin

Post by Mahemium »

Another thing I feel should be tossed into the ether; say what you will about the plot of the film, the random lightning powers or the suit itself, but the performance of the artist within the suit is right up there for me. Close ups excepted of course, it takes a special kind of performer to express intelligence, guile, confusion, drowsiness and fury when the mask is entirely static.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

MutheSquirrel wrote:I've got mixed feelings about Toho's '62 King Kong.

First, the film itself: Didn't care much for the US dub, liked the Japanese sub. I dunno what they thought they were doing with the added US scenes, but they're aweful. They spend the whole film either explaining what you just saw or what you're going to see in the most disjointed, confusing, and unnecessary way. It was laughable, that's about it. The original unedited story is much more fun and you can see how it would eventually influence later '60s films in its comical tone while still, you know, making sense...

As for King Kong himself: My main gripe is that you can tell the role was written for Frankenstein, and they do very little to change it in order to fit Kong into the role. All they really do is throw in a scene where he grabs a girl and climbs a building with little pay-off. The electricity thing doesn't fit at all and is never explained. Most the powers shown by monsters in the Showa series make an odd kind of sense, but that power really only makes sense when you know who was originally meant to be in the role. Also I see no reason why Kong didn't just run away when he was forced to encounter big G the second time. He was clearly still out matched, and he was quick enough to run the first time.

That's not to say I dislike King Kong, I just wish they'd gone about it in a different way when they changed the role. Like, how about King Kong continues to pursue the girl but she becomes trapped by Godzilla, prompting Kong to attack him despite knowing he's horribly outmatched. Kong gets beat on for a while protecting the girl until the military come in and use the Soma rain on Godzilla, making him drowsy and giving Kong the upper hand. Or maybe Kong sees Godzilla touch an electric wire and back off, so he grabs a live pylon and shoves it down his throat, thus using his wits over Godzilla's brute strength to win.

I dunno, I just feel it was a bit of a wasted character used just for the name as is.
I agree. I also think it would've been better if they added continuity between Godzilla 1954 and King Kong 1933. They should've brought in the actors from the original King Kong, Carl Denham, Ann Darrow, Jack Driscoll, and maybe say King Kong somehow survived his fall from the Empire State Building and went into hiding. Years later, he was also mutated by the Nagaski bombing, and they find out Kong survived and is bigger, and they bring in the team that explored Skull Island to investigate and they see Godzilla and King Kong fight.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

MutheSquirrel wrote:As for King Kong himself: My main gripe is that you can tell the role was written for Frankenstein, and they do very little to change it in order to fit Kong into the role.
Kong was always part of the story. I believe Frankenstein's monster's part was replaced with Godzilla.
Although I'm not certain of that...
Also I see no reason why Kong didn't just run away when he was forced to encounter big G the second time.
Because he was ticked this time. Seriously, what a lousy way to wake up.

gzilla46 wrote:...say King Kong somehow survived his fall from the Empire State Building and went into hiding.
Wait, what?
Years later, he was also mutated by the Nagaski bombing...
Wait, WHAT??

These make sense HOW?

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

Rody wrote:Kong was always part of the story. I believe Frankenstein's monster's part was replaced with Godzilla.
Although I'm not certain of that...
It's a bit more silly/complicated then that. Yes, Kong was part of the story, but what they basically did was give King Kong's role to Godzilla and Frankenstein's role to King Kong with only minor changes. I don't know why. Maybe in the original Frankenstein wins or they both dye, but Toho wanted to make Kong the hero? Who knows.
Because he was ticked this time. Seriously, what a lousy way to wake up.
He could have still run away after being dropped though, nothing was really keeping him there. Ignoring the US added "Gorillas and lizards are natural enemies!" line.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Yes, he could have run away; but my point was, this time Kong may have really wanted to fight, regardless of the heat ray.
Plus, Kong got a head start this time. Godzilla didn't get to use his heat ray immediately.

MutheSquirrel
GPN Volunteer

Post by MutheSquirrel »

But why would he want to fight? He had absolutely no motivation to battle Godzilla the second time. He's meant to be smart, and he knew that Godzilla could breath fire and had bested him before. There was NO REASON not to flee other than the plot needed him to. That's why I think they should have put the girl in danger, to at least give some motivation to Kong's actions. As it is he just looks like a contrary idiot.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

When Kong and Godzilla first meet, Kong is likely still getting used to his new environment. On top of that, Godzilla has higher ground, and takes Kong completely by surprise with his heat ray.
The second time, Kong gets the first hits in, and tackles Godzilla on level ground. Godzilla only uses his ray a couple of times, allowing Kong to stay close enough for physical combat.

That's not to say Kong was truly Godzilla's equal. Let's not forget that Kong still gets knocked unconscious twice before his electrical power-up.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kong is masterful as a physical fighter, and any monster without a special weapon would suffer at his hands. Godzilla gave him trouble because Godzilla had both physical combat skills and a special weapon. Hopped up on lightning, Kong is Godzilla's equal, but not when his battery is empty.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Zentenk wrote:I agree, he did not look like a Gorilla at all, KINO looks more like a yeti/sasquatch.

I was truly dissapointed when I first saw it, the cover of the video had the real King Kong on it for crying out loud (American VHS)!
The Kong outfit for this flick does indeed look a little Squatchy. Surprisingly, or maybe not so much, the same bloke, Eiji Tsburaya, used the suit from the Toho yeti flick, HALF-HUMAN, as a guidepost for how to make the King Kong suit for the flick.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.