Would you consider "Gojira" to be a horror flick?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Would you consider "Gojira" to be a horror flick?

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Well I've watched gojira several times now and I want to say it actually is pretty suspenful watching Godzilla rampage threw the city. All the people are despretly trying to escape and people and there houses are being roasted. It really makes you feel small because if you were I'n that situation, you could do absolutely nothing to stop people from dying.

So what do you think, is it horror quality.
I say YES, this movie is freaking scary and I'm not even a small child!
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Would you consider "Gojira" to be a horror flick?

Post by eabaker »

It presents the abject and the unheimlich, with the intent of distubring and frightening its audience. That's textbook horror for ya.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I don't. At least not with the literal content of the film. I don't even think it was a horror film in its age and country, as I heard children loved the monster scenes.

However, the deeper meaning of the film presents a horrific view of our humanity's potential future if nuclear weapons were to be used. I guess that's horrific. :|

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

20th Century Boy wrote:I don't even think it was a horror film in its age and country, as I heard children loved the monster scenes.
"Horror film" and "children loved the monster scenes" don't actually contradict one another at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I heard that during it's premiere, many people left the theater I'n tears. Keep I'n mind that's when nuclear bomb testing was going on at the back door of japan. And the lucky dragon no.5 incident just happened. So back then I'n japan I feel like many people thought it as horror as some were even recovering from the bombs dropped on japan. Now a days, the film doesn't carrie the same weight but is still suspenseful and scary. Like I said above, it put a face on the victims of war essentially, the complete fear in there faces kinda disturbs me....
Resized Image

20th Century Boy
Futurian

eabaker wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:I don't even think it was a horror film in its age and country, as I heard children loved the monster scenes.
"Horror film" and "children loved the monster scenes" don't actually contradict one another at all.
I think they do. If it was a horror film, or at least an effective one, the children would have been terrified of the monster scenes.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I can't say King of the Monsters! ever scared me as a kid - whereas Hedorah and Rodan's Meganurons practically traumatized me.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

20th Century Boy wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I think they do. If it was a horror film, or at least an effective one, the children would have been terrified of the monster scenes.
Then you think it's an ineffective horror film. The intent is still there. (I didn't find Tropic Thunder remotely funny, but that doesn't make it not a comedy.) And, if anything, good horror should be more disturbing to adults than to children, anyway.

And, of course, terror and horror aren't the same thing. Horror is about the presentation of that which the mainstream regards as physically or psychologically repellent; whether or not one finds those things scary is another matter altogether. Pretty much all monsters are appealing to children (often times an attraction mixed with - or even somewhat ironically founded in - their aversion), because they represent those things that adults deem objectionable.

Kids love Freddy Krueger, but A Nightmare on Elm Street is still horror. Kids love Dracula, but Dracula is still horror.

The theme and the tone of the movie are the theme and tone of a horror movie.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I kinda doubt the makers of the film would consider it horror, even if some of the subject matter is shown in a horrific way.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

I would definitely consider it a horror film. It might not scare most of you, but it is still technically a horror film.

I think eabaker explained it well in his posts.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

From what I understand about its position in cinema at the time, it would be a horror film of some type. Yeah it's not like The Mist or other contemporary sci-fi/fantasy horror that you would immediately think of but I digress.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Beef Bigshot wrote:I heard that during it's premiere, many people left the theater I'n tears.
Where did you hear this?

I consider Gojira to be more of a film noir than a horror film.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I've read a little about it and also Steve ryfle said it on one of the voice over commentaries for the special edition Gojira film.

The people leaving crying thing ^^^^
Resized Image

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Well, it is a monster film, and while not all monster films are scary, neither are all horror films. Gojira does have scary moments, so it can qualify.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

eabaker wrote: Then you think it's an ineffective horror film. The intent is still there. (I didn't find Tropic Thunder remotely funny, but that doesn't make it not a comedy.) And, if anything, good horror should be more disturbing to adults than to children, anyway.

And, of course, terror and horror aren't the same thing. Horror is about the presentation of that which the mainstream regards as physically or psychologically repellent; whether or not one finds those things scary is another matter altogether. Pretty much all monsters are appealing to children (often times an attraction mixed with - or even somewhat ironically founded in - their aversion), because they represent those things that adults deem objectionable.

Kids love Freddy Krueger, but A Nightmare on Elm Street is still horror. Kids love Dracula, but Dracula is still horror.

The theme and the tone of the movie are the theme and tone of a horror movie.
Ah, I see now.

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

Science fiction .
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gojimantis wrote:Science fiction .
It definitely includes science fiction elements, but it's far from hard sci-fi, and its being sci-fi in no way keeps it from also belonging to other genres.
Tyler wrote:It's always been more a human drama to me with a monster at its center.
Sure, but that's true of almost any well conceived monster-centric horror film. The Fly is human drama with a monster at its center. Frankenstein is human drama with a monster at its center.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I think of it as a monster horror film.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Back in the day, it was R-rated and horrifying, so...
Yooo 8-)

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
JGAR4Entertainment wrote:Back in the day, it was R-rated and horrifying, so...
Back in the day...They didn't have the rating system.
He might of meant the X rated one
What a saucy poster.