Which anguirus do you like better?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Which anguirus do you like better?

Post by Space Hunter M »

"- This is good to know, when do we begin?
- Right away. I'll go get the tools..."

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Ya boss hate to break it to ya but we're gonna need more than a hammer and shovel fer this job
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

55: Lost to the 60's Godzilla in his first fight.

68: It takes foes of 70's Showa's strength to beat him.

I'll take the Ultimate Shield/damage sponger or the animal that got his throat cut.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

three
Keizer

Post by three »

^^ i'm not interested really in strength or durability, or story use...i just thought this was about appearance (though tempered with the things you mentioned.)
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

My interest in a monster definitely has a lot more to do with design and personality than with the awesomeness of its attacks or whatever.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

eabaker wrote:My interest in a monster definitely has a lot more to do with design and personality than with the awesomeness of its attacks or whatever.
Design plays about 80% for me. Attacks and Personality each being 10% I guess. That being said, I still prefer the original Anguirus. I like his design a lot more.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
eabaker wrote:My interest in a monster definitely has a lot more to do with design and personality than with the awesomeness of its attacks or whatever.
Design plays about 80% for me. Attacks and Personality each being 10% I guess. That being said, I still prefer the original Anguirus. I like his design a lot more.
Cause it's awesome.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

eabaker wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Cause it's awesome.
It just looks so fierce!
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

It's a combo for me, but I tend to like the monster with the bigger heart then the better looking kaiju.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
Cimmerian Dragon wrote:It's amazing how many people seem really invested in durability and strength as far as their favorite monsters are concerned.
Welcome to Tohokingdom, home of the Fantasy Matches.
Which would be all well and good, if that kind of talk would stay in the Fantasy Matches arena and not pollute the rest of the board.

Godzillasaurus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzillasaurus »

In the Showa series, there were two different versions of Anguirus? Huh. In that case, although I have yet to see "Godzilla Raids Again", I guess I have to say the original version. It simply looks more tough and animal-like.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote:When it comes to monster preference (Angilas or otherwise) I base a lot of my opinions on aesthetic appeal, how the monster is used and whether or not I actually like the movies it appears in. "He's aswesome because he's the most powerful" or "He's not very strong so I don't like him" are both very shallow responses. I think Gabara is awesome and Godzilla mopped the floor with him. Meanwhile, I couldn't give a shit about how powerful Space Godzilla is. I don't like him. Wasted potential, poor design, bad movie. It saddens me that there are so many fans who base their monster preferences around criteria that only matters in a fantasy match on the internet.
Indeed.

Part of the magic of storytelling is this: if we were writing a story where it made thematic sense for Gabara to defeat Space Godzilla, then Gabara would win that fight, and fuck all the stats right in the fucking bullet holes in their fucking skulls (if stats had skulls).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:When it comes to monster preference (Angilas or otherwise) I base a lot of my opinions on aesthetic appeal, how the monster is used and whether or not I actually like the movies it appears in. "He's aswesome because he's the most powerful" or "He's not very strong so I don't like him" are both very shallow responses. I think Gabara is awesome and Godzilla mopped the floor with him. Meanwhile, I couldn't give a shit about how powerful Space Godzilla is. I don't like him. Wasted potential, poor design, bad movie. It saddens me that there are so many fans who base their monster preferences around criteria that only matters in a fantasy match on the internet.
Indeed.

Part of the magic of storytelling is this: if we were writing a story where it made thematic sense for Gabara to defeat Space Godzilla, then Gabara would win that fight, and skreeonk all the stats right in the skreeonk bullet holes in their skreeonk skulls (if stats had skulls).
Your Gabara would simply be stronger than SpaceG. Strength may not be the main telling point in a kaiju series such as it is in DBZ or Bleach but you have to be stronger than a monster to defeat them one on one or close enough in power to find a way to win.

Showa Gabara would have no chance vs SpaceG while if you made a Gabara that beat SpaceG as you said he would be stronger than Showa Gabara.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

three
Keizer

Post by three »

"When it comes to monster preference (Angilas or otherwise) I base a lot of my opinions on aesthetic appeal, how the monster is used and whether or not I actually like the movies it appears in. "He's aswesome because he's the most powerful" or "He's not very strong so I don't like him" are both very shallow responses. I think Gabara is awesome and Godzilla mopped the floor with him. Meanwhile, I couldn't give a shit about how powerful Space Godzilla is. I don't like him. Wasted potential, poor design, bad movie. It saddens me that there are so many fans who base their monster preferences around criteria that only matters in a fantasy match on the internet."

whoa. relax haha
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

JimmyD1318
Samurai

Post by JimmyD1318 »

My favorite Anguirus is the one from Destroy All Monsters. I loved his never say die attitude in the film and his bravery to do a head on attack against a monster that was more powerful than him.
Godzilla forever.
http://www.jimmygillentine.com
yaburu said:
I swear, one of these days, these trolls are going to pull a skreeonk Voltron and combine themselves into one mega-troll.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Indeed.

Part of the magic of storytelling is this: if we were writing a story where it made thematic sense for Gabara to defeat Space Godzilla, then Gabara would win that fight, and skreeonk all the stats right in the skreeonk bullet holes in their skreeonk skulls (if stats had skulls).
Your Gabara would simply be stronger than SpaceG. Strength may not be the main telling point in a kaiju series such as it is in DBZ or Bleach but you have to be stronger than a monster to defeat them one on one or close enough in power to find a way to win.

Showa Gabara would have no chance vs SpaceG while if you made a Gabara that beat SpaceG as you said he would be stronger than Showa Gabara.
"My Gabara" would be exactly as strong relative to "my SpaceG" as I said he was, and if I say he's weaker but still happens to win, then he's weaker but still happens to win. The story is god, and the character with god on his side will win.

"My Gabara" could have luck on his side. Or intelligence. Or for 99% of the story he could be getting his ass kicked and then win at the end for no reason motivated by internal logic beyond some hand wave like "he wanted the victory more," simply because that is what needs to happen for the sake of the story.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:
three wrote:"When it comes to monster preference (Angilas or otherwise) I base a lot of my opinions on aesthetic appeal, how the monster is used and whether or not I actually like the movies it appears in. "He's aswesome because he's the most powerful" or "He's not very strong so I don't like him" are both very shallow responses. I think Gabara is awesome and Godzilla mopped the floor with him. Meanwhile, I couldn't give a shit about how powerful Space Godzilla is. I don't like him. Wasted potential, poor design, bad movie. It saddens me that there are so many fans who base their monster preferences around criteria that only matters in a fantasy match on the internet."

whoa. relax haha
Yeah, eabaker!

Ain't no place for your well-reasoned responses here, muthaf*cka! :mad:
I think that was Legion1979, not me. Although, I believe we were both born in 1979, so we're of the same Godzilla fan vintage.

gojizilla97
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojizilla97 »

1968 anguirus by far!

Bond. James Bond.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

So decide to check up on my little question and I get idiots talking about gabara vs spaceG.......facepalm
Resized Image

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Gojizilla97, I believe that picture is from 1972, not 1968.

......I kid, I kid. :-P I know what you meant.