Talkback: Matango (1963)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: Matango (1963)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:41 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Matango was almost remade, by Steven Soderbergh! Unfortunately he was unable to reach an agreement with Toho.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/soderbergh- ... e-matango/

Despite me never seeing the original, that would of been awesome! I would love to see some of the dream team's other classics get attention.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:14 pm

It would be interesting to see a new take on the film.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Shin Gabara
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Shin Gabara » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:41 pm

I have the DVD . . . seen it a number of times . . . not once did I make any connection to the characters from Gilligan's Island. Now I'm worried that's all I'll be able to see.

On the top of the short-list rewatch pile.
. . .

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm

If you haven't seen this yet, I'll warn you.....spoilers.

Sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a horror trip,
about a storm tossed crew aboard a tiny ship.

The captain was a solid man,
strong as he could stand,
when a stormy sea washed them on an unknown island.

Slowly hunger took its toll,
sending them to eat mushrooms,
and those who did met their dooms.

One survivor was returned,
but it proved too late,
for a matango had sealed his fate.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

tbeasley
JXSDF Technician

Postby tbeasley » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Matango was almost remade, by Steven Soderbergh! Unfortunately he was unable to reach an agreement with Toho.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/soderbergh- ... e-matango/

I wonder if he could instead make a new film based on The Voice in the Night.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Watched it again, definitely some of Honda and his cast's finest work in the genre. It's a bit of a silly concept with the villains just being dudes in rubbery costumes/makeup, but managing to get a really heavy atmosphere with the hopelessness and impending doom with those setbacks just makes it more impressive. The ending with Akiko calling out and trying to lure in the professor is the perfect mix of creepy and tragic. Seeing Kubo's character get ruined after the rest of his friends is a sight to see. The tones and characters Honda got to work with this film and The Human Vapor really set them apart from most of his monster works, and it's a shame only the latter got the critical recognition it deserves in Japan. At the very least its good to see this one gain more and more fans as time goes on.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Would this film be good for a Monsterverse remake?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:08 am

LegendZilla wrote:Would this film be good for a Monsterverse remake?

Nope.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 am

LegendZilla wrote:Would this film be good for a Monsterverse remake?

No, have you seen it?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:21 am

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:It's a bit of a silly concept with the villains just being dudes in rubbery costumes/makeup

I wouldn't really describe the mutants as the villains of this movie; they're really just victims of their own needs and desires, as is everyone in the cast.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira-Fan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Just watched this movie. Got to say, this must be some of Honda and co. best work. Very atmospheric, filmed very well. Also very unique.

I think I just made a connection toMothra vs. Godzilla. Many people have pointed out that Sekizawa's stories are more lighthearted/positive while Kimura's stories are more dark/negative. I think both Mothra vs. Godzilla and Matango have Honda's brotherhood of man theme, but potrayed in different ways.

Mothra vs. Godzilla shows that the islanders of Infant Island mistrust outsiders because of the nuclear tests on their island. Only because of an emotional plea from one of the main characters that the Shobijin and other islanders agree to have Mothra defeat Godzilla. The plot in that scene really centers around healing the wounds of mistrust, and that theme is restated at the end of the film where one of the characters says (and I am paraphrasing here) that we must create a world without mistrust. Happy music plays as the film ends and the viewer is left feeling positive.

Matango is really about seeds of mistrust sprouting to the point where social relations break down. The seeds of mistrust (as potrayed in the film's metaphor of mushrooms) is hedonistic greed. Tokyo is viewed as equivalent or even worse than the island by Akira Kubo's character in the end due to the post-war economic boom changing Japanese society to be decadent and materialist. Ultimately, the film has an unhappy ending.

Both movies are classics and some of Toho's and Honda's best work. I love how many similar motifs and themes you can find by watching these movies, even if the tones are really different.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”