Talkback: Half Human (1955) aka Jūjin Yuki Otoko

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzilla21
Kwaidan

Re: Talkback: Half Human (1955) aka Jūjin Yuki Otoko

Postby Godzilla21 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:06 pm

gzillafan17 wrote:I am really interested in seeing this film, if anyone could PM me a link to English dubbed version I would be very grateful. It is the only other Toho/Honda kaiju like film that has avoided me.

Added in 58 minutes 20 seconds:
If no one has a link I will consider buying it off Sinister Cinema. Has anyone else bought from them and can verify their authenticity? And is it the American version?

The dubbed version is the Americanized version. I don't believe a dub of the original Japanese version exists. I can PM you if you need a link to a site with both the Americanized and subtitled original Japanese version.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

gzillafan17
Interpol Agent

Postby gzillafan17 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:04 am

Godzilla21 wrote:
gzillafan17 wrote:I am really interested in seeing this film, if anyone could PM me a link to English dubbed version I would be very grateful. It is the only other Toho/Honda kaiju like film that has avoided me.

If no one has a link I will consider buying it off Sinister Cinema. Has anyone else bought from them and can verify their authenticity? And is it the American version?

The dubbed version is the Americanized version. I don't believe a dub of the original Japanese version exists. I can PM you if you need a link to a site with both the Americanized and subtitled original Japanese version.

Yes Please!
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 pm

This video is from the Sinister Cinema DVD. It's better than the official Rhino/Englewood VHS releases in some ways, worse in others. Sinister's transfer comes from a splicy print whereas the VHS releases are much less damaged. However, the Sinister copy is arguably better because of the higher resolution.

Also worth noting that DCA's Half Human is not a dubbed version. Carradine narrates the Japanese footage but none of the cast is dubbed at all. All music and sound effects are replaced too. It's probably the worst Americanized version of any tokusatsu movie, which is a shame since the Japanese version is much more difficult to view.

Gothicserpent
G-Grasper

Postby Gothicserpent » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Honestly, if anyone wants to watch it you can PM me. It's a neat little film with a great atmosphere.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:01 pm

I think the odds are that the stereotypical portrayal of the Ainu-esque natives in the film (which is why it is banned until this day in Japan) is why Akira Ifukube himself did not end up scoring the film.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Ive heard about this, sounds interesting.

Wasnt the suit in this reused for the King Kong suit in 1962? Could be wrong, I read it somewhere.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Wasnt the suit in this reused for the King Kong suit in 1962? Could be wrong, I read it somewhere.

No. They are totally different costumes.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Does anyone know the origins of the timecoded Japanese cut? Someone earlier in the thread said it was an unreleased screener, is that true?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
Futurian

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:50 pm

I heard that it was sourced from an unreleased VHS tape but I might be confusing it with Nostradamus's situation. Somebody like Terasawa or SpaceHunterM know more about it.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It wouldn't be a true Godzilla film, if you didn't touch upon those things," says Dougherty. "Otherwise you're just making a big dumb giant monster movie. There has to be a sprinkle of it, otherwise you're not being faithful to the original intent of the series. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not a true Godzilla fan."

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I heard that it was sourced from an unreleased VHS tape but I might be confusing it with Nostradamus's situation.

You're not confusing them, both films had the same fate. Both were intended for home video release and neither were released. Keith Aiken talks about the aborted Half Human release in this Monster Zero post. The leak of Nostradamus might have been from a similar situation.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I heard that it was sourced from an unreleased VHS tape but I might be confusing it with Nostradamus's situation.

You're not confusing them, both films had the same fate. Both were intended for home video release and neither were released. Keith Aiken talks about the aborted Half Human release in this Monster Zero post. The leak of Nostradamus might have been from a similar situation.

Good stuff, thanks for the info. This'll help greatly with a video I'm making.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
JXSDF Technician

Postby H-Man » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:02 pm

I watched both versions today. The American version with John Carradine plays like an incredibly dumbed-down cliff notes version of the Japanese film. I did get a good laugh out of the scene where Carradine and his colleagues are talking about the "mysterious mountain village" (the Burakumim hamlet in the Japanese version):

Scientist: So were they savages?
Carradine: Not to the point that they'd eat their own dead...

I dunno why, I thought that was funny.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”