The Last War (1961)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

The Last War (1961)

Post by Dash 7 »

Here are my thoughts on the film from the site's review:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/reviews/alex ... st_war.htm
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

The Last War (1961)

Post by Tamura »

Discuss.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: The Last War (1961)

Post by Arbok »

A nice little anti-war film. The scenes with the English actors smack as far too preachy, but an enjoyable movie with a real downer ending (that doesn't cop out like Prophecies of Nostradamus does by saying it was just a possibility). The acting in the film is also generally (i.e. just the Japanese cast) well done, and a slight cut above other SFX films of the era from Toho.

Amazing SFX for the time as well, and no surprise it was used as stock footage in many Toho films later, including Godzilla vs. Gigan, The War in Space, The Return of Godzilla and more.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I only saw the dubbed version last night, so it has to sink in on me, but I overall liked it. I heard the Japanese version has more depth into the characters, so I'll probably check that one out sometime. Still, not bad. 3/5
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Saw it last night in it's dubbed version. I found this film to be very enjoyable and a much more effective film than Prophecies (although PON had much more disturbing imagery). The ending was very effective, especially when the father yelled out at how unfair this all was. Of course, the SPFX, particularly the tank scene and the FAMOUS LANDMARKS LOST FOREVER were well done.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

wahahahaha

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I finally watched this movie on Monday, and for some reason it didn't leave as big an impression on me as some of the others here. I do appreciate the message that is made very clear at the end, there are some good performances, the special effects finale is great and heck, I love Ikuma Dan's score, but I felt that something was still lacking. Maybe a few scenes could've been cut down, I don't know. All things said, I'm glad that I've seen it. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate it more after a second viewing.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

The scenes with the Tamura family are undeniably slow-moving and can be a tiny bit melodramatic, but they're still likable and never do you lose interest. What bring the film down somewhat are, ironically enough, the scenes teasing war. I'm willing to forgive the bad gaijin actors as it is a Japanese production, but they tend to drag on for way too long to the point where there's no real tension (Most notably the scene with the Alliance disarming the warhead which feels like it will never end). I feel it would have been more effective had their just been talks of a nuclear war heard on Tamura's radio throughout the movie. Still, the last 20 minutes or so are some of the best scenes in any Toho genre film that I've ever seen, thanks in no small part to all the time spent with the Tamura family previously.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think all the melodrama is suitable, it’s kind of showing how everyday people are affected, and how life still goes on.

I don’t intend to be dramatic, but I also think this film deserves a rewatching given current political situations.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.