Ebirah: Godzilla vs. Mothra, win or lose?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Ebirah: Godzilla vs. Mothra, win or lose?

Post by Arbok »

Although I don't see it happen as often as I did, the best example being the never ending back and forth to debate if King Kong vs. Godzilla counted as a lose or a tie for Godzilla, I'm just wondering how people perceive the battle between Godzilla and Mothra in Ebirah, Horror of the Deep?

It's a quick skirmish between the monsters, but is the final battle of the movie and somewhat unique in that respect as generally the final battle in Godzilla films is the climax.

So did Godzilla win, lose or tie against Mothra?

I personally see it as a tie for Godzilla and Mothra. Mothra had the upper hand in the fight (which would make me lean more toward a win for Mothra if we were doing a strict win or lose criteria), but left... not because she was retreating, but had a different objective and needed to save her people before the island exploded.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ebirah: Godzilla vs. Mothra, win or lose?

Post by eabaker »

I'd call it a draw, if anything, but really the fight barely even got started, so I'd basically call it purely inconclusive.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Oh, Mothra definitely won that little skirmish. Godzilla was just to busy gloating over the victory with Ebirah to notice that a butterfly was just about to slap him around.

Now if Mothra stayed to fight who knows who would have one.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Draw. More like a short shoving match
"A monster can live forever"

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Living Corpse wrote:Easy answer, Godzilla's only goal was to fight her and beat her.

Mothra's only goal was to escape the island (and Godzilla) and save the humans.
I can agree with this. Mothra got what she wanted. So Mothra wins. It just so happened that Godzilla didn't suffer for his minor defeat.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It was a non-fight. Godzilla had his feathers ruffled, but Mothra had no intention of doing battle with Godzilla. Technically, he was beat, though Mothra did retreat as well.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Living Corpse wrote:Mothra denied Godzilla his fight and escaped while carrying the humans. She won. Well actually he since this is the larva from GTTHM grown up and that one was called a he. But that's a different topic all together.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Larva in Ghidorah is a she, but was called a he in the dub.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

It's impossible to say how this fight would have ended; the Mothra from the original caused quite a lot of destruction just by flying, the one from 'Motrha vs. Godzilla' was weak and dying yet gave quite a good fight until the end; this one is a healthy adult Mothra from the Showa era.

You know, this thread made me think, I've seen people complain that Godzilla gets out of the island as if he heard the humans telling him to... but I wonder if it was actually Mothra who told him to get out, that the island was going to explode, in monster language, before wing-slapping him so he could come to his senses and take her advise, especially since she was fleeing herself. Godzilla mistook her with the Mothra from 1964, and Mothra didn't want him to die after they worked together against King Ghidorah.

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

i like that explanation.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I can see that working.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

TheLonelyGarasharp
Young Farmer

Post by TheLonelyGarasharp »

Living Corpse wrote:Easy answer, Godzilla's only goal was to fight her and beat her.

Mothra's only goal was to escape the island (and Godzilla) and save the humans.

Mothra denied Godzilla his fight and escaped while carrying the humans. She won. Well actually he since this is the larva from GTTHM grown up and that one was called a he. But that's a different topic all together.
I Agree
Top 5 Favourite Kaiju:
1: Godzilla
2: Gamera
3: Mothra
4: Biollante
5: Mothra Leo

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:OR she feared that Godzilla would adsorb the energy of the blast becoming Meltdown Godzilla endangering the world and himself.
I wonder if the blast mutated Ebirah into Showa Destoroyah.

Also, maybe Godzilla also realized that that Mothra was the one he knew as a larva, the one he already talked with.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Terrier wrote:I wonder if the blast mutated Ebirah into Showa Destoroyah.

Also, maybe Godzilla also realized that that Mothra was the one he knew as a larva, the one he already talked with.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Well Destroyah does have a crustacean like quality.

I wonder if he'd kill Minilla...
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not (no offense), but Destroyah exists in a different timeline so it doesn't apply to Ebirah.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Carthormerr wrote:
Terrier wrote:I wonder if the blast mutated Ebirah into Showa Destoroyah.

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Well Destroyah does have a crustacean like quality.

I wonder if he'd kill Minilla...
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not (no offense), but Destroyah exists in a different timeline so it doesn't apply to Ebirah.
I was joking.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Terrier wrote:I was joking.
Haha alright. Sorry bout that bro

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Now back to topic.

ShowaGodzillaKOTM
Yojimbo

Post by ShowaGodzillaKOTM »

Well actually...I really don't consider a fight taking place. I think it was more of Mothra telling Godzilla, you don't want to listen, oh well...I'm not going to waste my time sit here, and go down with the Island in a meanless fight. So with this being said...you need to get the F out of my way! Godzilla took offence and the radioactive fire was used on Mothra missing her, and Mothra flew towards Godzilla, slapping him out of the way. Godzilla: Misunderstanding. Mothra: All about survival.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

i wouldn't even classify it a fight, more of a skirmish

and as such, Mothra certainly won imo
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mothra had no reason for fighting. She was in more of a hurry to leave with her human cargo. Godzilla seemed to be on a victory high. He'd just humiliated Ebirah, and felt like he could take on anyone.

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I would call it a draw bc it really wasn't a fight anyw way. It was just a shoving match.