King Kong vs. Godzilla question

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

King Kong vs. Godzilla question

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Okay, I was always curious of this, and not sure how many people here can really give a first-hand answer. But pretend it's 1962. The internet isn't around, books regarding giant monsters are few and far between. It is announced that King Kong vs. Godzilla is being released, and it takes the two most well-known monsters and pits them against each other. It generates buzz, interviews are "conducted" with both monsters before the film comes out and everything is presented like a world-class sumo match.

So, my question is: In 1962, did people immediately realize that Kong was enhanced physically and ability-wise to rival Godzilla? I know the general audience didn't know Kong was originally supposed to be the Japanese Frankenstein, but without books spreading the knowledge to the masses and Godzilla: King of the Monsters still making its rounds on American televisions, I wonder if audiences knew (or cared) that Kong was super-sized and given someone else's powers. Hell, in GKOTM, Godzilla is called 400 feet tall, and even more drastic change between the height of the two monsters. Now true fans have all the books and websites that inform us, but in the 60's, I wonder if the movie caused confusion, especially around Kong's character. And if they did notice, were viewers vocal about it?

Jirass
Monsterland Worker

Re: King Kong vs. Godzilla question

Post by Jirass »

Famous Monster of Filmland magazine most likely had the inside scoop.
Fire Rodan appears to have had a delicious caramel filling.
Shadow wrote:
Jirass wrote:Willy Wonka & The Mechagodzilla Factory
'Take a seat, at his feet, and prepare for you annihilation. It's nothing to fear, jump with cheer, for his inner workings defy... explanation.'

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I doubt people had much thought about it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MasonWerx
Interpol Agent

Post by MasonWerx »

What puzzles me about that films is:

Why does Kong enjoy eating electricity while Gojira is afraid of it? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I've only seen the American version though. Whare can I find the otiginal version besides the boot on ebay?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

MasonWerx wrote: Why does Kong enjoy eating electricity while Gojira is afraid of it? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Godzilla has no fur, so no static buildup. :P

As for the Japanese version, I've heard the boot is pretty much just ripped off of the Region 2 disc (Which is in poor quality anyway) with some subs added, so take it or leave it. Tamura's fan restored version was another option, but the links have been dead for over a year now.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Space Hunter M wrote:
MasonWerx wrote: Why does Kong enjoy eating electricity while Gojira is afraid of it? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Godzilla has no fur, so no static buildup. :P
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but could that electricity part be a leftover from the original idea of Frankenstein fighting Godzilla?
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

^Yes.

But I'm a bit surprised, that even in the 60's, nobody found the film odd. If I was a Kong fan, I'd be like "What the hell? This isn't the Kong I grew up with."

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

This movie rules. It's got vibrant color, fun characters, imaginative effects, comedy, true spectacle, and above all, film history's two greatest monsters pitted against one another. It's no wonder at all that it became so successful worldwide. I find it hard to believe any '60s viewers would have found it "odd" or given height differences and stuff like that very much thought; of course KING KONG was reissued a million times since its original release, but it's not like people had home video to analyze small details in the film and stack it up against KKvsG.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Legion1979 wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote:So, my question is: In 1962, did people immediately realize that Kong was enhanced physically and ability-wise to rival Godzilla? I know the general audience didn't know Kong was originally supposed to be the Japanese Frankenstein, but without books spreading the knowledge to the masses and Godzilla: King of the Monsters still making its rounds on American televisions, I wonder if audiences knew (or cared) that Kong was super-sized and given someone else's powers. Hell, in GKOTM, Godzilla is called 400 feet tall, and even more drastic change between the height of the two monsters. Now true fans have all the books and websites that inform us, but in the 60's, I wonder if the movie caused confusion, especially around Kong's character. And if they did notice, were viewers vocal about it?
No offense, but I doubt anyone gave a shit. :lol:

The cynical, whiny, nit-picking sci-fi kaiju fanboys didn't come around until several decades later.
Oh, no offense taken!

Just curious more than anything. I grew up with the cynical. whiny, nit-picking fanboys so it's funny trying to objectively imagine if it bothered audiences (familiar with the monsters) back then, but the majority in this thread seem to think not.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote:So, my question is: In 1962, did people immediately realize that Kong was enhanced physically and ability-wise to rival Godzilla? I know the general audience didn't know Kong was originally supposed to be the Japanese Frankenstein, but without books spreading the knowledge to the masses and Godzilla: King of the Monsters still making its rounds on American televisions, I wonder if audiences knew (or cared) that Kong was super-sized and given someone else's powers. Hell, in GKOTM, Godzilla is called 400 feet tall, and even more drastic change between the height of the two monsters. Now true fans have all the books and websites that inform us, but in the 60's, I wonder if the movie caused confusion, especially around Kong's character. And if they did notice, were viewers vocal about it?
No offense, but I doubt anyone gave a shit. :lol:

The cynical, whiny, nit-picking sci-fi kaiju fanboys didn't come around until several decades later.
Oh, no offense taken!

Just curious more than anything. I grew up with the cynical. whiny, nit-picking fanboys so it's funny trying to objectively imagine if it bothered audiences (familiar with the monsters) back then, but the majority in this thread seem to think not.
Certainly a lot of King Kong fans thought the movie was a lousy knock-off of their beloved character, but I don't think it was things like the changed scale or even the electricity-eating that bothered them, so much as the suitmation effects and the light, silly tone.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Very interesting points!

The Kong suit looked horrid in some shots. And that's being nice, if you can get past the face, which looks nothing like the gorilla look of the original. More like a giant chimp.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaSpawn wrote:Very interesting points!

The Kong suit looked horrid in some shots. And that's being nice, if you can get past the face, which looks nothing like the gorilla look of the original. More like a giant chimp.
Yeah, as much as I love - love - the movie, sometimes I'm shocked that Tsuburaya let such a shoddy costume get by, particularly for a monster he was so excited to be presenting.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.