Godzilla 1954 in Color (aka Cozzilla 1977)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Godzilla 1954 in Color (aka Cozzilla 1977)

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ They're not "toys", they're statuettes
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:^ They're not "toys", they're statuettes
Like how Bandais aren't children toys. :P ;)
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:^ They're not "toys", they're statuettes

They're not "dolls"! They're action figures.
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Wow...

Its been 5 years...

But...

in the interest of discussion...

Is it worth tracking a copy of this down to watch?

I will admit I'm slightly curious.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

And so, just like a zombi from an italian movie, I'm bringing back from the dead this thread to talk about Cozzilla after I had the experience to watch it on a VHS my girlfriend gave me as a gift. Her grandfather is italian, and the man actually had Cozzilla waiting in a wooden trunk in his house. Just amazing.

It's uh... it's something.
I actually prefer this version over King of The Monsters. A lot trippier, but it actually tries to retrieve the messages from the japanese release and it's better paced cutting scenes with Burr, keeping just the essential. Including actual stock footage from WWII was a bit morbid and vulgar, if I'm honest with you, but it kind of gives this film a somewhat surreal feel to it. And... yeah, that's the best way to describe this film: "surreal." The VHS noise, the synth version of the original soundtrack (it really sounds like Zombi and City of The Living Dead), the absurd, choppy and obviously rushed use of stock and stolen footage (specially in the last scene with Godzilla dying), the weird, dream-like colors... yeah, it's interesting. It was worth the watch.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destorogoji wrote:And so, just like a zombi from an italian movie, I'm bringing back from the dead this thread to talk about Cozzilla after I had the experience to watch it on a VHS my girlfriend gave me as a gift. Her grandfather is italian, and the man actually had Cozzilla waiting in a wooden trunk in his house. Just amazing.

I actually prefer this version over King of The Monsters. A lot trippier, but it actually tries to retrieve the messages from the japanese release and it's better paced cutting scenes with Burr, keeping just the essential. Including actual stock footage from WWII was a bit morbid and vulgar, if I'm honest with you, but it kind of gives this film a somewhat surreal feel to it. And... yeah, that's the best way to describe this film: "surreal." The VHS noise, the synth version of the original soundtrack (it really sounds like Zombi and City of The Living Dead), the absurd, choppy and obviously rushed use of stock and stolen footage (specially in the last scene with Godzilla dying), the weird, dream-like colors... yeah, it's interesting. It was worth the watch.
What! We need more info! Did it come in a case or anything?
Got any neat pictures?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:And so, just like a zombi from an italian movie, I'm bringing back from the dead this thread to talk about Cozzilla after I had the experience to watch it on a VHS my girlfriend gave me as a gift. Her grandfather is italian, and the man actually had Cozzilla waiting in a wooden trunk in his house. Just amazing.

Got any neat pictures?
I have no clue on how he got his hands on it, maybe he recorded it somehow a long time ago. It's just in an old, cheap and generic sleeve with "Godzilla" written with a sharpie on it. I'll take a pic tomorrow to show it to you guys.
Last edited by Destorogoji on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destorogoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

Got any neat pictures?
I have no clue on how he got his hands on it, maybe he recorded it somehow a long time ago. It's just in an old, cheap and generic sleeve with "Godzilla" written with a sharpie on it. I'll take a pic tomorrow to show it to you guys.
Even if it's a bootleg it still has historical value!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Got any neat pictures?

Even if it's a bootleg it still has historical value!

Yeah, man! I still can't believe I have it now. It's amazing to know it exists in this format.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Just a quick necro (felt it necessary)
Whang!, a YouTuber, just did a video on the history of Cozzilla.

Behold!: https://youtu.be/SZwefR9CAFk
Last edited by GojirO on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rest in Peace Victoria

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojirO wrote:Just a quick necro (felt it necessary)
Whang!, a YouTuber, just did a video on the history of Cozzilla.

Behold!: https://youtu.be/SZwefR9CAFk
Yeah I saw it. It’s interesting that this’ll make this film way more public than it ever was.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Wait people are still using the Cuddy version? The original file he got and then needlessly fucked with (his "restoration") is online elsewhere and is the superior and more authentic copy.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Wait people are still using the Cuddy version? The original file he got and then needlessly skreeonked with (his "restoration") is online elsewhere and is the superior and more authentic copy.
Yeah I was going to ask about that. Lmao the photo with him and his hat :lol:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I just watched it for the first time.

Some would probably see this as further butchering of the original film, but I look at it this way.

Its a European reedit of a Hollywood edit of a Japanese film. It really speaks to the global recognition of Godzilla that film makers spanning all over the world have taken to finding a way to present the first entry in a way that is acceptable to their country's sensibilities.

And the fact that it came out almost 2 and a half decades after the original film's release kind of speaks to the power of the film that people would still be interested in doing something with it.

I have to admit too that I loved the exaggeration of Godzilla's height. In the original film, its 50 meters. In the US edit, its 200 ft, which is about 60 meters. This version claimed that he was a 150 meters! That's taller than any other version of Godzilla besides Godzilla Earth! Its hilarious to me that we have 3 different versions of this movie and they all conflict on this one detail.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

^In the US version Godzilla's said to be 400 ft tall.

I really want to watch Cozzilla, it looks so odd and surreal. Plus it's italian, and as a 1/4th italian, I feel like I should watch it.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

DirektorSplennic wrote:^In the US version Godzilla's said to be 400 ft tall.
Whoops! My bad. You are correct, lol
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GojiDog wrote: Its a European reedit of a Hollywood edit of a Japanese film.
It's actually even a little more complicated. Cozzilla is based on the 1957 Italian release of Godzilla, which was based on the U.S. version, which was based on the Japanese movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

GojiDog wrote: Its a European reedit of a Hollywood edit of a Japanese film. It really speaks to the global recognition of Godzilla that film makers spanning all over the world have taken to finding a way to present the first entry in a way that is acceptable to their country's sensibilities.

And the fact that it came out almost 2 and a half decades after the original film's release kind of speaks to the power of the film that people would still be interested in doing something with it.
I do love this about the film despite how poor the colorization looks and how damn crazy it sounds. Would you say this or Godzilla vs. Hedorah was trippier? Gonna have to see if I can track this down to watch at some point.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

GojiDog wrote:Its a European reedit of a Hollywood edit of a Japanese film. It really speaks to the global recognition of Godzilla that film makers spanning all over the world have taken to finding a way to present the first entry in a way that is acceptable to their country's sensibilities.

Enhanced even more that he didn't want to go with that film.
He wanted to go with Gorgo
But because of Gorgo's price, he wanted to go with Gojira.
Toho refused but gave him KotM!

Also, the remix Magnetic System did for Prayer for Peace became the Zombi 2 theme
Rest in Peace Victoria

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Don't know if it is even possible, but I would love to see a proper colorized version of Gojira.