Why Does Every one like The showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Re: Why Does Every one like The showa series

Post by Terrier »

I've been thinking, the movies made by Inishiro Honda, especially until 'Destroy All Monsters', are probably (Or should be) the most representative of the Showa Era, and there are some things that should be taken in mind...

Those movies (Not only the Godzilla ones) depict people from different areas working together, everybody making their part, to defeat the monsters or the aliens or wathever common foe at the moment. You know all those scennes with the military, showing all the vehicles and soilders and weapons before they fight the monsters, it's not like in movies like the ones by Michael Bay, as an "awesome factor", they are trying to show the military in a positive light and being used for good, and we are talking about at time (At least as I understand it) when the military was infamous, instead of going the easy way and having them as villains, we see them bravely fighting an enemy beyond their reach. Similarly, we have scientist working for solutions, politicians aproving strategies, journalists and common people contributing... again, humanity is working together.

Then we have all these movies where the military, the scientists and the politicians are all stupid, useless and even comic relief; with some (No meant to sound harsh) nobodies somehow being more useful than the rest of the freaking country... yeah, totally "realistic".

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I'll pretty much have to agree with what everyone has said.

Like MasonWerx said, as a kid, I kinda liked CGI and animatronics more than the effects of the older movies. Jurassic Park was my #1 movie, and I would watch it over and over again until my parents had to find something different for me to take an interest in. I was introduced to the fun Godzilla movies of the 70s, and started to watch them ever since. I now prefer the older movies and special effects over the modern CGI effects and the Showa series satisfies me.........

Don't get me wrong though. I still like CGI to an extent.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terrier wrote:I've been thinking, the movies made by Inishiro Honda, especially until 'Destroy All Monsters', are probably (Or should be) the most representative of the Showa Era, and there are some things that should be taken in mind...
Talking about the Showa era as a single piece is highly problematic, and it definitely makes sense to break things up more. The early-to-mid 60s definitely represent an era, with Honda consistently directing and the writing split between Sekizawa and Kimura, that is largely unlike anything that came before or after, even elsewhere within the Showa era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Even doing that with the '70s alone if problematic.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Just divide it into the '50s, '60s, and '70s.

The decades all correspond to clear shifts in style and tone, and can easily be viewed as being distinct "volumes" of the ongoing series. Even the "island" films of the sixties feel like they belong alongside Monster Zero or King Kong VS Godzilla in my opinion.
I prefer to split the 60s into two sections, with the first ending at War of the Gargantuas. It's not a clean break, but to me the "island" films take on a pretty distinct tone, and really stop bothering with any of the specific continuity of the prior films.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:I know it's not perfect, but it's reasonably effective shorthand. If I need to be more specific about an era when speaking, I would just say "1962 - 1965" or whatever. You can subdivide the Showa era as many times as there are films. In my mind though, the '50s are horror, the '60s are the well-written sci-fi adventures, and the '70s are a struggle for the series to find its way.
Well, which sets of defining factors are important really depends on the context of the individual conversation.

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

Well, that's why the Showa series is awesome. At least part of it. The cheesiness appeals to me, as well as the plotlines and such. Although a lot of the stories in those movies were ridiculous, I agree. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

As if movies like SPACEGODZILLA, MEGAGUIRUS, and FINAL WARS are as equally "ridiculous".
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I never got the "ridiculous" argument either. At their core, vintage Godzilla movie plots are very basic and straightforward.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Because it has some of the best & worst of the series...and it feels incredibly
honest & extremely creative with everything Toho was doing at the time.

I like the fun aspects of the Showa era...especially the 70's...so that's my
excuse.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

zillabeast98 wrote:IMO It get's to much Love Sure It classic But Just So fake And Corny
Well most of the films in the franchise are like that. They're just popcorn entertainment, for the most part. The Heisei series is my favorite, but Showa comes second for me because it established what the franchise was, and gave us a few of the best films in the franchise, such as Gojira, Mothra vs Godzilla, or Terror of Mechagodzilla (my three favorite Showa films).
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Thanks for bumping this gem from the past by the legendary "zillabeast98".
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Grievous wrote:Because it has some of the best & worst of the series...and it feels incredibly honest & extremely creative with everything Toho was doing at the time.
That's exactly it. I mean, I'm a Heisei guy through and through; I love the Monsterverse (well, G14, so far); I even have a strong affection for most of the Millenium entries, and one of the Animes. I'd want to rank each of those above showa for the way their styles connect to me, personally (when they're at their best).

But honestly? When the showa era is good, it's great. And while I don't think quite as many of them are absolutely superb as my esteemed colleagues, it's impossible to overstate how fantastic the successes in the era are. I may not connect with the Godzilla suits, the pace or editing style, or some of the era's conventions at time- but there are classics here that transcend anything the other eras have to offer- and plenty of favorite kaiju that either had their best iteration, or sole appearance, here.

That's why people like the showa series. Because even those least likely to be interested in it as a stylistic whole can't deny that there are individual elements and films that are just fantastic.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

zillabeast98 wrote:IMO It get's to much Love Sure It classic But Just So fake And Corny

Them's fighting words.

The Showa Series rules because of the combination of creative ideas in a limited medium 60s sci-fi excelled it, different and fun tones, and just being fun.

RIP Evan.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Eh, fighting words get thrown out around here all the time. Toward every era. Put it down, Samuel L Jackson- it's how Godzilla fandom rolls. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The heisei series is often lauded for having the most consistent continuity, which is fair - but the Showa series has the most complete Toho universe. Aliens, most of the series' kaiju, awesome JSDF tech - it's all there.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Wow, this thread sure popped up from the dead. Not sure why anyone's bothering to argue with the OP considering he hasn't been active in over six years and was also the progenitor of this amazing quote:
zillabeast98 wrote:Mecagodzillax Has A point When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

UltramanGoji wrote:Wow, this thread sure popped up from the dead. Not sure why anyone's bothering to argue with the OP considering he hasn't been active in over six years and was also the progenitor of this amazing quote:
zillabeast98 wrote:Mecagodzillax Has A point When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch
People just love to throw in their 2 cents, especially when a topic they didn't know existed pops up. It's more about hearing ourselves talk at this stage... ;)

Maranatha!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Regardless of whether zillabeast98 is still around, the thread is a useful one. We all know Showa is King around these parts and the other series need to fight to prove their comparative worth, but it is good to have a place to explain why we consider Showa to be superior. Or not, as the case may be.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Thanks for bumping this gem from the past by the legendary "zillabeast98".
No problem...
JAGzilla wrote:We all know Showa is King around these parts and the other series need to fight to prove their comparative worth, but it is good to
have a place to explain why we consider Showa to be superior. Or not, as the case may be.
I mean...the Showa Era will always be King...because of its Legacy.

As good (& bad) as the Heisei & Millenium entries can be...they seem
to be praised more for their improved effects...which is fine...but that
is a natural progression worldwide for ALL film making.

For me...the Showa era has the charm & creativity that the "modern"
eras seem to lack...mainly because most of the Heisei & Millenium
entries are just "remakes" of one or more Showa era films.

Even the MonsterVerse is essentially serving up 2 "remakes" with
KotM basically appearing to be an updated version of Gt3HM & a
new version Godzilla vs. King Kong.

Its why I personally liked the changes made to Godzilla in Shin Gojira...
because it was something different. If they didn't implement those
changes think what Shin Gojira would have been...

Basically a modern remake of The Return of Godzilla (1985).

Its why I'm willing to give the anime trilogy a pass for the most part...
mainly because it is something a little left field & different...and I
personally like different.

I mean we don't want the Godzilla series to become like the James
Bond series right? A series which has BASICALLY made the same
film over & over again...24 times.

Basically...the Showa Era is proven the best because no one can stop
copying or "raiding" it for ideas.
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!